Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby penquin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Huckleby wrote:Where did you see this? I haven't heard any interest in national ID, other than "real ID" for employers.


It is a natural by-product of their strong desire for VoterID. Some (most?) may not be aware of what the end result will be, but they are pushing for it all the same.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9422
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Huckleby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:02 pm

penquin wrote:It is a natural by-product of their strong desire for VoterID. Some (most?) may not be aware of what the end result will be, but they are pushing for it all the same.


A national ID card is the obvious counter-weight to voter ID. If you think Republicans are worried about voter suppression, then they will consider national ID.

I'm not sure which side is more opposed to national ID, Republicans or Democrats.

The Republicans are pretty solidly dug-in that ID should be state-based. They are OK with real ID because it links state-based databases. Pretty idiotic and inefficient.

The Dems are barely any more reasonable. Several Democratic leaders announced support for picture ID on all social security cards. Little interest among liberals, they think the courts will somehow deliver them of voter ID. Dumb.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Federal Judge Blocks Ohio Early Voting Restrictions

"The judge found as a matter of fact (crediting expert reports of the plaintiffs’ especially that of U. Florida’s Dan Smith) that the cutbacks in early voting would disproportionately fall on African-Americans,"

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3545
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby DCB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 pm

When our state's one-party legislature restricted early voting hours, they argued that it was "unfair" for some districts to have more voting hours than others. Even taken at face value, the argument made no sense - Milwaukee county has about 30x the population of Oneida county, so maybe they need more voting hours.

Of course, the real reason is that Milwaukee county has way more Democratic voters. But our Republicans are too klassy to say that out loud.

Other Republicans are more explicit:
The Republican state senator, Fran Millar, wrote that in a comment responding to others on his post where he vowed to end Sunday balloting in DeKalb County because that area is "dominated by African American shippers" and has "large African American mega churches."


How does Sen. Millar follow up his initial post? with an apology? Not so much:
I would prefer more educated voters than a greater increase in the number of voters


http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/f ... ore-voters

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3537
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Voter ID back in play for November

A federal appeals court in Chicago reinstated Wisconsin's voter photo identification law on Friday, just hours after three Republican-appointed judges heard arguments on reactivating the hotly debated law in time for the November election.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9422
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Huckleby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: Voter ID back in play for November


The courts all around the country are mostly favoring voter ID laws. The public is solidly in favor of government ID for voting, the courts are influenced by that strong public opinion. This is the same reason the courts have swung towards siding with gay marriage.

Dems need to wake up and smell the coffee. The details of voter ID still need to be fought over. But the strategy needs to be a push for universal ID. And equal access to voting - more hours, more consistent waiting times to vote.
Last edited by Huckleby on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby david cohen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Walker is thinking this is the only way he can win in November...but if he loses, it's going to be a stake in the heart of the blood sucking ALEC crowd...so let's commence to KICK SCOTT'S ASS!

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9422
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Huckleby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 pm

I read a bit about what the revised version of the law says:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 63811.html

No fees for ID, that's good.
Not sure what "limited use of STudent IDs" means.

Something like this is inevitable. It is done for political purposes by REpublicans, but Dems just got to deal with it.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 22631
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:35 pm

If one was resides in Wisconsin but was born in another state, will there still be a fee for getting a birth certificate to prove citizenship?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9422
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Huckleby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:If one was resides in Wisconsin but was born in another state, will there still be a fee for getting a birth certificate to prove citizenship?


It seems that the court accepted the law because there were no fee barriers to voting, they accept that part of argument. That's a good question, but I have to believe that would have to be waived.

Ya know, the real problem is getting people motivated to register to vote in the first place. This stuff sure doesn't help, though.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 22631
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:57 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:If one was resides in Wisconsin but was born in another state, will there still be a fee for getting a birth certificate to prove citizenship?


It seems that the court accepted the law because there were no fee barriers to voting, they accept that part of argument. That's a good question, but I have to believe that would have to be waived.

Waived by whom? Another state? Or will Wisconsin foot the bill?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3537
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Huckleby wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:If one was resides in Wisconsin but was born in another state, will there still be a fee for getting a birth certificate to prove citizenship?


It seems that the court accepted the law because there were no fee barriers to voting, they accept that part of argument. That's a good question, but I have to believe that would have to be waived.

Waived by whom? Another state? Or will Wisconsin foot the bill?


I think the WI supreme court already ruled you couldn't require a birth certificate to get an id for voting purposes.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7029
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby pjbogart » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Mission accomplished! Now on to Part B... making it harder to get an ID, you know, to stop illegal immigrants from voting. I mean, it only makes sense. You need to prove who you are to get a checking account, why shouldn't you have similar requirements to get an ID? We all know that kids have tons of fake ID's to buy alcohol, shouldn't we have stricter requirements to getting an ID to stop these criminals?

And, of course, these stricter requirements will have nothing to do with disenfranchising voters. They're just trying to protect the integrity of elections and make sure that kids don't buy liquor.

puzz
Senior Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby puzz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 pm

pjbogart wrote:Mission accomplished! Now on to Part B... making it harder to get an ID, you know, to stop illegal immigrants from voting. I mean, it only makes sense. You need to prove who you are to get a checking account, why shouldn't you have similar requirements to get an ID? We all know that kids have tons of fake ID's to buy alcohol, shouldn't we have stricter requirements to getting an ID to stop these criminals?

And, of course, these stricter requirements will have nothing to do with disenfranchising voters. They're just trying to protect the integrity of elections and make sure that kids don't buy liquor.



Yup. kids boozing it up and voting for dems is a complete clusterfuck.
It really is the end of the world as we know it.///

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5681
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby gargantua » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:48 pm

I know that voter ID is a cynical attempt by the GOP to suppress potential Democratic votes.
Get over it.
Help people get ID's. Get them to vote.
I have had an ID and have voted in every single election since 1972. It's not hard. It's not rocket science. Stop whining and actually make a token effort to participate in your democracy.
Or you could just bitch about the unfairness of it all and lose. Guess which scenario plays out?


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests