Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Donald » Sun May 25, 2014 9:44 am

Huckleby wrote:The sort of disenfranchisement you posit there is odd in that it would eliminate Republicans and Democrats equally. Nobody would conspire to create such problems.

Seems to me that a standard form of ID will eventually help correct inaccurate voter registration lists, the inconsistencies you mention will get corrected once and forever when they are discovered.

Sure, it's odd, but racism and lust for power create a lot of odd situations. You are mistaken that the problems created by this would eliminate Republicans and Democrats equally. All they need is to eliminate more Democrats than Republicans , and often that can be done by focusing on discouraging voting in key precincts. Why do you think Republicans concentrate their suppression efforts in black precincts? If Granny Huck can't vote, that's too bad, but as long a three black people for every Granny Huck are discouraged or eliminated from voting, they win.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun May 25, 2014 9:47 am

leave my grandmother out of this, punk

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun May 25, 2014 9:47 am

Put this in your poll: "Do you think any citizen should be prevented from casting a vote in any election because of government bureaucracy?" Then let's talk about public opinion.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 am

Voter ID laws based on racism.

Christopher Ingraham of the Washington Post writes: "State legislators who support voter ID laws are motivated in no small part by racial bias, according to a new study from the University of Southern California. The study finds strong evidence that 'discriminatory intent underlies legislative support for voter identification laws.' The findings raise questions about the constitutionality of voter ID laws, which the Supreme Court affirmed in 2007 on the basis that Indiana's strict law represented a 'generally applicable, nondiscriminatory voting regulation.'

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:55 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... r-id-laws/
If you read that whole article, you'll find that the study is a big nothing burger. The quote that you show there is a dubious claim by the researcher, not supported by his study.

All they found is that Republican politicians are significantly less likely to respond to email from hispanic constituents. This is newsworthy, but the fact that the topic of email was voter ID is irrelevant, as I see it. Perhaps there is more to it, but all I see is that Republicans don't think minorities are fertile grounds for courting voters.

I don't doubt for a second that the intent of repub politicians with voter ID is to suppress vote.

I was going to post a link to this eye-popping headline yesterday, but I really think the firecracker turns out to be a dud.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm not sure sending out emails to 28 legislative chambers constitutes a smart way to measure anything.

I'm curious as to what a mail servers does when 67 (1,871/28 = an average of 66.8 emails per legislative body) nearly identical emails come in separately to various members (and how the researchers spoofed their locations).

In addition staffers talk between themselves so there is a good chance there were people who knew this wasn't a legitimate email and decided not to respond.

Over all this just seems like a piss poor experiment, and if anything useful could be drawn out of it, it would be that more elected officials probably need to hire at least one or two spanish speaking staff members.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Over all this just seems like a piss poor experiment, and if anything useful could be drawn out of it, it would be that more elected officials probably need to hire at least one or two spanish speaking staff members.

It is about the lamest study I've ever seen. Still, it's funny and interesting, I'm sure it indicates something. I think "Jacob" is a jewish sounding name, maybe staff members think Jews are more likely to be serious people who vote. I do think disregard is shown to hispanics.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Huckleby wrote:I do think disregard is shown to hispanics.

I don't disagree that it might, but the experiment is too uncontrolled to tell. You can't determine why an email isn't responded to or if it is even received by the intended recipient.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:07 pm

right, it is a joke.

They also claim one variable as "Voter ID support" when in fact the underlying, determining factor is party affiliation. The parties have very different constituents. The voter ID issue is mostly partisan, with a few Dems supporting ID.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:12 pm

FWIW, I haven't got any replies from either my State Rep (John Jagler - R) nor my State Senator (Scott Fitzgerald - R) every since the recall-petition list was made available online.

Some elected officials simply refuse to have any respect for the people they represent, and racism isn't always the reason.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:24 pm

penquin wrote:FWIW, I haven't got any replies from either my State Rep (John Jagler - R) nor my State Senator (Scott Fitzgerald - R) every since

Is your first name Juan or John?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:41 pm

http://www.c-span.org/video/?319980-1/v ... ghts-south

I watched a panel discussion called “Voting Rights and Southern Demographics”. It was mostly leaders of organizations working to expand minority voting in the south. The first 22 minutes is speechifying, they get into specifics and strategy later in the discussion.

Everybody on the panel agrees that voter ID is here to stay. It stinks, but there are much bigger fish to fry. If you listen 42 minutes into the discussion, you hear that the passion at the frontlines is directed at expanding ID to all citizens.

The biggest challenge is to motivate people to register. This is a greater imperative than fighting the range of voter suppression. Both are important.

A big aspect of voter suppression is the “time tax” – poorer people are discouraged by much longer waiting lines to vote. It seems to me the public and courts ought to be sympathetic to this point of view.

The big focus is on 2020. Got to get voter registration up in time to affect next round of redistricting. The goal is to push for public commissions to do non-political redistricting, not to elect Dems to behave just as badly as Republicans. I agree with this strategy.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:08 pm

Wisconin's Voter ID law has been ruled in violation of the US Constitution by a fedral court. That hasn't stopped the Wisconsin Supreme Court from ruling it doesn't violate the state constitution.

In dissent:

“Today the court follows not James Madison — for whom Wisconsin’s capital city is named — but rather Jim Crow, the name typically used to refer to repressive laws used to restrict rights, including the right to vote of African-Americans.”

— Wisconsin Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm still waiting for someone to give me some real world examples of this voter fraud problem that the law intends to address.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:53 am

pjbogart wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to give me some real world examples of this voter fraud problem that the law intends to address.

Here, I did Google for you

the top two results definitely look like cases where ID's would have made a difference.

I don't think there is any valid argument that it doesn't happen. I think the question is if it happens enough that it justifies creating a higher obstacle for voters to overcome. The WI SC seems to have knocked down one of the obstacles by removing the requirement for a birth certificate in order to get a state id. That makes the law slightly less onerous (and a state id slightly less secure).

Return to “Local Politics & Government”