Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah, those are all good ideas.

Let's do voter id instead.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Reporting on the results of a study published in the Election Law Journal detailing the evidence of nursing home fraud:

The Daily Pennsylvanian wrote:Mobile polling extends vote to nursing homes
A study by the Medical School found that having trained election officials administer polls would enfranchise senior citizens

For most people, voting consists of walking to the local polling place, stepping into a voting booth, choosing between candidates and receiving an “I Voted” sticker on the way out.

But for others, such as senior citizens in nursing homes, the process is not so easy.

A recent School of Medicine study, published in the current edition of the Election Law Journal, found that a system of mobile polling would go a long way in helping correct voting inconsistencies in nursing homes.

Mobile polling consists of election officials coming to a nursing home, directly registering seniors and bringing them ballots, while providing any necessary assistance, such as reading the ballot to them or marking their choices. Election officials are not to assess who is or is not able to vote, according to the study.

The study also found that voting fraud is common in long-term assisted living facilities.

“Sending trained officials into nursing homes and using voting machines there would be a great improvement” over the older practice of absentee paper ballots, Political Science professor Jack Nagel wrote in an e-mail. “That system invites fraud and abuse.”

When nursing home staff are in charge of helping seniors vote, disenfranchisement tends to occur. This is especially true when it comes to senior citizens with cognitive impairments such as dementia due to Alzheimer’s disease, Medical School professor Jason Karlawish said.

Often you get staff deciding who can or cannot vote,” making it important to “address the issue of preserving the integrity of the ballot, maximizing voter rights and finding a better way of conducting the voting process,” Karlawish added.

The study was conducted in a sample of Vermont nursing homes during the 2008 general election. Some nursing homes conducted voting as usual, allowing staff to administer the process, while others had a trained election official conduct mobile polling in the home.

Results showed that everyone — from nursing home residents, to staff and election officials — agreed that mobile polling was better than ordinary voting methods.

Nursing home staff welcomed the system, grateful for having voting taken care of.

Tara Fletcher, the activities director for Pine Villa, an independent and assisted living facility in Long Beach, Calif., thinks mobile polling would increase the number of voters.

Often, “seniors are forgotten, so you might not have a lot of seniors voting,” she said.

Some counties and states have shown interest in adopting the practice of mobile polling, which is “not widespread enough,” Karlawish said.

Mobile polling also made a positive impact on nursing home residents’ sense of involvement in the voting process.

Karlawish said he was moved by testimonies that mobile polling made users feel like they “were being treated as citizens and people in our democracy,” he said. http://thedp.com/index.php/article/2011 ... sing_homes

LAST UPDATED MARCH 24, 2011, 12:00 AM

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Edit: Cripes put all this work into satisfying somebody who "likes beans" and the bloke disappears. I guess some people only want proof if they don't think there really is any.

I go away for an hour, and that's "disappearing?" Some of us have other work to do, you know.

I'll read through your links shortly and get back to the thread later.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Bludgeon wrote:I have to say, I would rather not have a Democrat in his seat but as far as it goes, if I had to have one, I am glad it's been Herb Kohl.

I thought you said you used to be a Democrat until recently, when forons pissed you off and made you become a Republican. It's hard to keep your narrative straight when you make things up.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:I have to say, I would rather not have a Democrat in his seat but as far as it goes, if I had to have one, I am glad it's been Herb Kohl.

I thought you said you used to be a Democrat until recently, when forons pissed you off and made you become a Republican. It's hard to keep your narrative straight when you make things up.

You have trouble keeping things straight because you have marbles rolling around in your generally pleasant but confused old head.

I was a Democrat until 2007. My quoted statement is my reflection at this moment - read what it says - I wouldn't mind winning the seat this year (pretty likely) but as far as it goes Herb Kohl's not so bad - especially when he's been in the minority party. And of course he is retiring.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:28 pm

So now you claim you were in political limbo for four years until criticism you took on this forum drove you into the arms of the GOP as a paying member.

Your tale gets curiouser and curiouser.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So now you claim you were in political limbo for four years until criticism you took on this forum drove you into the arms of the GOP as a paying member.

Your tale gets curiouser and curiouser.

Are you sure it's not you who's writing from a nursing home?

I was a Clinton Democrat until 2007. Clinton won two terms in the 90's on the strength of the coalition he had built. He had to earn his presidency on the strength of his achievements as Governor of Arkansas for years. As president he did a lot of good, compromising, being a leader and helping to create prosperity. I believe social good is best achieved from a stance of economic empowerment. He wasn't perfect but Clinton was everything Obama is not and still enjoys the stature of being the last president to preside over a thriving economy. He was a working man's president - a real people president.

Sometimes I have to try to remember who hated him more - the hardcore right or the hardcore left. The leftest of the left, after all, failed for decades with every single progressive candidate they ran for the white house. Now, after a fight for an open seat, they got their wish only to see the American public quickly remember what it was they didn't like about Dukakis, Mondale or George McGovern.

Some, like me, noticed the problem quickly, and left. Since 2008 Obama has destroyed all that remained of the Clinton Coalition - a vast voting bloc of composite groups with shared values. The Obama coalition is this: die hard liberals, college students, academia, anticapitalists, unions and minorities. That is the coalition that Dukakis lost under, that Mondale lost under, that McGovern lost under. It is not enough and it is too far removed from the American mainstream. But rejoice: for the next fifteen months, while the president still has a job, you will still get to pretend that his existence in that office means that your views are "mainstream". In 2012 it will eventually dawn on you that the only reason he was there is that he was a blank screen at a time when America was willing to believe anything. Anything.

In 2007 I saw how much the left had changed since Clinton. When I saw who they picked, I saw who they are. And I left.

Now you have completely changed the subject with your swiss cheese - unsolicited, mind you - swiss cheese memory.
Last edited by Bludgeon on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Henry, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of bdog.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Bludgeon wrote:I was a Clinton Democrat until 2007.

To quote a certain politician;

You LIE!

You're lyin' through your teeth. You're a liar and I'm CALLIN' ya a liar, you lyin liar. You were never a democrat in anybody's world and that is as obvious as your lack of independent thought.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 pm

rabble wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:I was a Clinton Democrat until 2007.

To quote a certain politician;

You LIE!

You're lyin' through your teeth. You're a liar and I'm CALLIN' ya a liar, you lyin liar. You were never a democrat in anybody's world and that is as obvious as your lack of independent thought.

Not that I would introduce you to any of my friends, but everyone I know, most of whom are still Democrats, could validate my story. I don't care who you vote for, although its a shame to change the subject.

Consider the following: Obama's support in the beginning of 2009: 60 to 69%. Obama's support today: 39% according to McClatchy this month, Gallup last month. Look at the Republican landslide victories of 2010 - a lot of people quit the Democrat party. When tens of millions of people switch sides its not too big a coincidence that you will run into one.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Henry, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of bdog.

Those so called "independents" all look the same to me.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm

O.J. wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/07/bill-clinton-voter-id-disenfranchise-jim-crow_n_892252.html

This doesn't bother me (at least its in the right thread).

He's the elder statesman, in that role you stand up for your party. Personally I doubt he believes it but more importantly I still admire his conviction to stand up for people in his party after the hit job they did on him in 2008. In the end the next Democratic president will be a lot more like him, not like this current guy in the white house. By which I mean to say he'll deserve the job - by earning it. The Democratic party needs a massive makeover - something that will become painfully apparent to them next November. But it will be good for them just like in its own way the Obama presidency has changed the GOP for the better.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Bludgeon wrote:...The Democratic party needs a massive makeover - something that will become painfully apparent to them next November. But it will be good for them just like in its own way the Obama presidency has changed the GOP for the better.
^ This is not true. The entire political donation/campaign system and corporate censored media needs a make over. Nothing else will change things.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Bludgeon wrote:....But it will be good for them just like in its own way the Obama presidency has changed the GOP for the better.

OK, now I know you're pulling our leg. Nobody in their right mind would say that the GOP has changed for the better, especially in response to the Obama presidency.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”