Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby DCB » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:09 pm

The conservative members of SCOTUS are really going all out to justify WI's extremely partisan gerrymandering.

Alleged "Justice" Alito just outright lied.
“You paint a very dire picture about gerrymandering and its effects,” Alito said, “but I was struck by something in the seminal article by your expert, Mr. McGhee, and he says there, ‘I show that the effects of party control on bias are small and decay rapidly, suggesting that redistricting is at best a blunt tool for promoting partisan interests.’ So he was wrong in that?”

The question baffled Smith, who said he would need to see the context.

“Well,” Alito retorted, “that’s what he said.”

No, it isn’t.

Yeah, he totally lied. On the record.

Kudos to Dana Milbank for doing some actual reporting.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 am

Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote:Could you tell me what the value is to democracy from political gerrymandering? How does that help our system of government?

Heh...well played Judge. Well played.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... tford.html

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:47 pm

When Republican legislators debated the bill behind closed doors in 2011, he recounted, state Sen. Mary Lazich rose from her chair, smacked the table and said, “We’ve got to think about what this could mean for the neighborhoods around Milwaukee and the college campuses around the state.” Schultz expressed concern about disenfranchising African-American and younger voters, but Glenn Grothman, then a state senator and now a member of Congress, cut him off: “What I’m concerned about is winning. We better get this done while we have the opportunity.” Allbaugh testified that at least two other GOP senators were “giddy” and “politically frothing at the mouth” over the bill, including state Sen. Leah Vukmir, the board chair of the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council, which had helped draft voter-ID laws in Wisconsin and other states.

(my emphasis)
Rigged: How Voter Suppression Threw Wisconsin to Trump

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Study: Black voter turnout in Wisconsin plummets
http://www.channel3000.com/news/study-b ... /652918511

"A new study says turnout among black voters in Wisconsin dropped about 19 percent between 2012 and 2016, more than four times the national decline. The Wisconsin State Journal reports that the Center for American Progress, a liberal nonprofit, studied data from the U.S. Census, polls and state voter files.

Democratic State Rep. David Bowen of Milwaukee says the study confirms that requiring photo identification to vote disproportionately hurts minority voter turnout. The requirement first went into effect during the 2016 presidential election."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm not sure that the study "confirms" that. It might also confirm that there was a significant difference in enthusiasm between the candidacies of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton among this group of voters. I think that's the more important reason.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:33 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm not sure that the study "confirms" that.

A decline alone wouldn't. But "more than four times the national decline" is pretty damning.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Ducatista wrote:

A decline alone wouldn't. But "more than four times the national decline" is pretty damning.

That is a fair point, but Wisconsin is not an outlier among states in requiring photo ID's, so I'm at somewhat of a loss to explain how our results are so uniquely bad. As I recall, our GOP significantly reduced the hours of early voting that mostly affected large urban (Democratic) areas, so it was probably a combination of a lot of things. And of course, Hillary didn't campaign personally in Wisconsin.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:24 pm

All of the above, plush fake news targeting Wisconsites from Russian sources. A perfect storm.

In the meantime:

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 pm

gargantua wrote:
Ducatista wrote:

That is a fair point, but Wisconsin is not an outlier among states in requiring photo ID's, so I'm at somewhat of a loss to explain how our results are so uniquely bad. As I recall, our GOP significantly reduced the hours of early voting that mostly affected large urban (Democratic) areas, so it was probably a combination of a lot of things. And of course, Hillary didn't campaign personally in Wisconsin.

From what I understand we are unique in the very limited number of types of ID we allow to be used for voter identification, along with some of the restrictions on those types (like a student ID is only acceptable if it has certain information on it and a two year expiration date) and the difficulties citizens have been confronted with in procuring the supposed alternate state-issued voter ID for those lacking one of the specified forms. The horror stories are easy to find. I don't know this for a fact but I would guess that the switch from allowing another registered voter to vouch for any voter lacking proper ID to a nightmare process at the DMV the requires the retrieval of a string of public documents all precisely and correctly filled out (or else!) may also be the most extreme change of procedure of any state. Closing DMV offices and cutting hours also caught quite a few people short.

ETA:

Here are the current WI voter ID requirements, from the Wisconsin Elections Commission's website:

Text version: http://elections.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publication/154/acceptable_photo_id_s_for_voting_guide_pdf_46172.pdf
Picture version: http://elections.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publication/154/acceptable_photo_id_s_pictures_pdf_16852.pdf
Poster version: http://elections.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publication/154/acceptable_photo_ids_2017_poster_pdf_53624.pdf

Here is the WI DMV's info regarding the ID Petition Process (IDPP) -- receipt valid for 180 days per the WEC info above, but the fine print on the sample receipt says "will be automatically renewed unless otherwise cancelled by WisDOT. Additional receipts will be provided as you exercise reasonable efforts to contact DMV staff to discuss your petition application or provide new information to assist in validating your birth record information." So -- automatically renewed, or only renewed if you convince someone at the DMV that you are trying hard enough?

Text version: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/license-drvs/how-to-apply/petition-process.aspx
Picture version: https://www.bringitwisconsin.com/files/idpp_handout_english_0.pdf
Sample IDPP receipt: http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/dmv/shared/idpp-takeaway.pdf

No problem! And clear as mud, yes?

Here are the stories of some would-be WI voters who tried using the IDPP. They tried and tried, but apparently not hard enough:

https://www.thenation.com/article/wisconsin-is-systematically-failing-to-provide-the-photo-ids-required-to-vote-in-november/

It appears that the WI voter ID law has been working as intended.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:It appears that the WI voter ID law has been working as intended.

Yes, indeed.

Republican Attorney General Brad Schimel is suggesting Sen. Ron Johnson wouldn't have won re-election and President Donald Trump wouldn't have won Wisconsin without the state's voter ID law.

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:01 pm

​​Voter fraud? You want some stinkin' voter Fraud? Let's take a look at what happened with formerly employed Lefties, Scottie Foval & Bobby Creamer.

Foval: "It's a very easy thing for Republicans to say they're bussing people in. Well you know what? We've been bussing people in to deal with you fuckin' assholes for fifty years and WE'RE NOT GOING TO STOP NOW. WE'RE JUST GOING TO FIND A DIFFERENT WAY TO DO IT. (bolds/caps mine)

"I think backwards from how they would prosecute if they could, and then try to build out the method to avoid that," (Foval) says about organizing voter fraud by bringing people from state to state to vote illegally. "Let's just say, in theory, if a major investigation came up of major vote fraud that way, how would they prove it? And who would they charge? Are they going to charge each individual with voter fraud? Or are they going to go after the facilitator for conspiracy, which they could prove? It's one thing if all these people drive up in their personal cars. If there's a bus involved, that changes the dynamic... You can prove conspiracy if there's a bus, but if there are cars, it is much harder to prove.''

BUSTED! couldn't have happened to a couple of nicer Lefty morons (forgive the redundancy)

"Scott Foval and Robert Creamer, two little-known but influential Democratic political operatives, have left their jobs after video investigations by James O'Keefe's Project Veritas Action found Foval entertaining dark notions about how to win elections. Foval was laid off Monday by Americans United for Change, where he had been national field director; Creamer announced Tuesday night that he was 'stepping back' from the work he was doing for the unified Democratic campaign for Hillary Clinton.''

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 91db790425

It gets worse.

Lefty miscreant Bobby Creamer was a WH guest over 340 times, 47 of those with a personal audience with the self-anointed 4th Greatest President EVAH who was tasked with overseeing the Most Transparent Administration EVAH!

Oh my!! Someone involved with voter fraud was a regular WH visitor? That has a certain redolence to it, am I right?

Ah Lefty; so MUCH hypocrisy, so little time!

The Gotch

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Trump claims that 3 million illegal votes were cast in California and that is why he lost the popular vote. Other lying and/or crazy people believe that.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 pm

I would guess that 3 million a possibility nationwide, but not just Cal.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 pm

It's almost phenomenal to watch Republicans defend the British empire's "taxation without representation" policies, and stick up for the confederacy's "heritage" of slavery as if there's something American about them.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Roy wrote:I would guess that 3 million a possibility nationwide, but not just Cal.

Prove it. Or we will accept that you are completely out of your mind.
I have accepted you as a human being. Now you're saying that there were at least 3 million illegal votes. Furnish proof, please. Or we're done. I'll never speak to you again. And that's a shame, because I don't think you're a bad guy. But there were not 3 million illegal votes, unless they were Russian. Apologize.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”