Enough with "recall Walker" already

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Henry, do you think it would be possible to go back and edit the erroneous post? I note that even when you acknowledge an error like this, you usually let it stand. Clearing away the mistake might go a long way toward soothing the frayed nerves that are becoming evident in this conversation.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Done.

Now I wonder when Stu will acknowledge his mistake in judgement.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:37 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Be careful quoting.

You too! It's very important.

Not really, but let's make sure to turn a slightly absurd discussion of hypotheticals into a really absurd discussion of who quoted whom properly.

Sometimes it's important. Other times, well, not so much.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:49 pm

jman111 wrote:Sometimes it's important. Other times, well, not so much.

Heh. Was that from this thread? Regardless, we who all generally agree on this issue need to keep our powder dry, so to speak. I'd look at it the other way 'round, jman. It's still pretty unimportant, but it sure feels like it is to some folks. And that counts for something.

And Stu, I'd be curious, too, to see how your view on the Walker recall preliminaries has or hasn't changed in light of the last few weeks.

(edited for shitty grammar)
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah Stu, what say you?

And how about this one?

Stu Levitan wrote:Fuck you. How dare you define those who oppose your idiotic, wasteful, silly and counter-productive circle jerk as unpatriotic. Fuck you.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 pm

:lol:

BTW, I agreed with the vehemence of Stu's early posts against recalls, wasn't trying to play "gotcha" because Walker has since been revealed to be such a skunk.

We need to win friends and influence people, as Dale Carnegie would say, not score points against allies and potential allies.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:It's still pretty unimportant...

I'm sorry you feel that way.
Perhaps you would change your tune if it was you who was being misquoted.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:15 pm

TheBookPolice wrote: Was that from this thread?

Nope. It was from the wind turbine thread, which also included these:
jman111 wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Not really, but let's make sure to turn a slightly absurd discussion of hypotheticals into a really absurd discussion of who quoted whom properly.

Is it safe to say that you are unconcerned about proper attribution of quotes?

TheBookPolice wrote:I was being sarcastic, jman. I don't really want to extend the conversation of Forum attribution.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:16 pm

jman111 wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:It's still pretty unimportant...

Perhaps you would change your tune if it was you who was being misquoted.

Come on now. Attribution on an Internet message board versus, I don't know, losing the right to collectively bargain? Versus the opportunity to put someone with scruples onto the Supreme Court in Prosser's place? I'm saying there are bigger issues in this thread alone, and we still shouldn't get into a pissing match about attribution.

Make a clarifying statement, seek to achieve some accord with the one who made the mistake, and move on.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:22 pm

nice hedge

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 pm

I do not acknowledge a mistake in judgment. I acknowledge, as Bob would say, that "things ... have changed."

My opposition to recalling Walker was in the context of his giving back the $810m in federal money for the train. I did not feel recall was appropriate, given that opposing the train was an explicit campaign plank, which voters ratified by electing him. (Note the dates of my comments)

Stripping collective bargaining rights from tens of thousands of state and municipal employees was NOT something he campaigned on, and was actively opposed by a clear majority of Wisconsinites. He has broken his part of the electoral social contract, and thus recall is decidedly appropriate, even required.

OK?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:He has broken his part of the electoral social contract, and thus recall is decidedly appropriate, even required.

Booyah. Thanks, Stu. Not everyone has the benefit of running into you in a rotunda choked with humanity, so I'm glad you posted your thoughts here, too.

(As always, though, good to see you)

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:I'm as pissed off about Walker becoming Governor as the next guy, but the fact is he won. He ran hard on killing the train and--surprise!--he killed the train. He ran hard on creating jobs by getting government "out of the way" and--surprise!--his first major policy proposal is to replace a whole department with a public-private development entity. He ran hard against state employees and--surprise!--he's gunning for a fight with their unions.

This is the platform 52% of voters supported. How does it warrant recalling him?

Many people who voted for Walker may have done so with a reasonable expectation that the elements of his platform would be introduced through an open an deliberative legislative process. They may have expected some compromises to be made during that process.

Thus it makes no sense to say that the present situation is simply a matter of Walker doing what he was elected to do.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:I acknowledge, as Bob would say, that "things ... have changed."
He has broken his part of the electoral social contract, and thus recall is decidedly appropriate, even required.

My feelings as as well. Also, the other thing that changed is the logistical challenge of actually pulling off a recall. As I said earlier, trying and failing would have only emboldened him.

If current anti-Walker sentiment keeps up until November, that will make it a lot easier to get the volunteers and money required.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”