Enough with "recall Walker" already

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
kruptoons

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby kruptoons » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:14 am

Perhaps those who oppose a recall aren't taking note of all the other stuff that Walker intends to do...a short summary---he wants to totally "privatize" our foundational governmental structure and turn everything into a corporatized society...this is the definition of fascism. He and his fellow Republicans want to actively repeal laws passed by the entire legislature, and bring a number of corporate lobbyists on board to dismantle and privatize the very departments they are to lead. There's more, but you get the idea---a dictatorship in the making! I am really quite surprised at Stu Levitan's vitriolic reaction to the recall idea...what we have now is no longer democracy and and our economic system is no longer Capitalism---it is transitioning into pure fascism. Does Stu support THAT??

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:31 am

I find Walker's behavior so far quite negative with all these demands before he's even inaugurated. And while some of his cabinet appointees are old Thompson hands and hardly fascists I am discouraged by this woman he put on DNR, which to my mind is one of the most important cabinet posts.

Overall, the appointments seem more stale than forward-looking, but not dangerous.

You can't recall someone before they're even in office, before they ever do anything as an elected official. That's plain silly. Wait until Walker does something impeachable and them impeach him (if that's part of the Wisconsin constitution) or until he does something recallable and then start a recall according to the given rules.

I think he's already got enough rope to hang himself, and all we have to do is watch this thing implode. Clearly, by turning down the rail money he already showed himself to be an ideologue with poor fiscal judgment. We can expect more of the same.

By whipping up partisan hysteria before this thing even starts, you're looking as foolish as a tea party guy who says he hates government health care but "don't touch my medicare." That is to say, ignorant.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:37 am

kruptoons wrote:Perhaps those who oppose a recall aren't taking note of all the other stuff that Walker intends to do...a short summary---he wants to totally "privatize" our foundational governmental structure and turn everything into a corporatized society...this is the definition of fascism. He and his fellow Republicans want to actively repeal laws passed by the entire legislature, and bring a number of corporate lobbyists on board to dismantle and privatize the very departments they are to lead. There's more, but you get the idea---a dictatorship in the making! I am really quite surprised at Stu Levitan's vitriolic reaction to the recall idea...what we have now is no longer democracy and and our economic system is no longer Capitalism---it is transitioning into pure fascism. Does Stu support THAT??

Oh, please. "Pure fascism"? Are you serious?
You disagree with the policies Walker and the GOP-controlled Legislature are going to enact. Fine, so do I. But those are policy choices the voters authorized Walker to propose and the Legislature to adopt. We call that democracy. Sorry you don't like or understand it.

Yeah, there's going to be lots of bad stuff coming at us -- meaning we have plenty of committee hearings to testify at, plenty of letters to editors to write, plenty of radio talk shows to call, plenty of 2012 campaigns to start organizing. I think those are the things to be working on, not a hopeless recall effort that insults a majority of Wisconsin voters and has no -- repeat NO -- chance of success.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:13 pm

This myopic insistence by some on the left that a recall be pursued is an example of why so often moderates and independents are turned off by progressives. It is nearly impossible to successfully complete a recall drive. The reason for that is elections have consequences and the recall is a last resort option for an electorate who's confidence in their elected officials has completely collapsed. That doesn't currently exist in regards to Walker outside of Dane county. Believe it or not, most outside of lefty circles are willing to give Walker a chance to govern. Furthermore, many independents view the prattle of recall as immature pouting from lefties.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Furthermore, there will soon be three Assembly special elections due to Walker appointments. We progressives need to recruit credible candidates in those districts and work to elect them to cut into the GOP Assembly majority. In 2012, we need to pick up three State Senate seats to take back that chamber. Those are actual goals that have a reasonable chance of being accomplished that progressives should be funneling energy and resources into.

PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:58 pm

For those of you who are interested, here is a link to the statutes regarding a recall. If successful, there would be a special election 6 weeks after the recall was certified.

http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&d=stats&jd=ch.%2014

Stu Levitan makes a good point about the Supreme Court election this spring. It is important to elect a progressive to the court. There are 3 excellent progressive candidates in this race. Please spend your time and energies getting a progressive on the court and not on a recall effort.

If a recall is going to split progressives apart then I will not support it. It is going to be bad enough for the next 4 years without fighting among ourselves. I just thought it would be fun. I mean why make it easy for these clowns.

Forward!

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:...his first major policy proposal is to replace a whole department with a public-private development entity.

Reminds me of Tommy's Forward Wisconsin idea that failed.

indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby indycoyote » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:09 pm

I think there is a better chance that the investigation of Walker's campaign draws public interest in his dethroning than a recall will. It's probably best that any state employee not post here with their real name if they run counter to the new GOP administration. They are NOT nice people but I'm certain they read TDPF.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:Emily Mills is giddy about the idea:
Walker hasn't even been sworn in as governor yet and already there's a movement underway to see him recalled from office.... The recall can't start until Walker officially becomes governor, and then they'll need to collect somewhere around 540,000 signatures to make it happen. No small feat, but it's worth a shot, especially considering the amount of damage Walker has done before even taking office.

I'm as pissed off about Walker becoming Governor as the next guy, but the fact is he won. He ran hard on killing the train and--surprise!--he killed the train. He ran hard on creating jobs by getting government "out of the way" and--surprise!--his first major policy proposal is to replace a whole department with a public-private development entity. He ran hard against state employees and--surprise!--he's gunning for a fight with their unions.

This is the platform 52% of voters supported. How does it warrant recalling him?

========================
If anyone noticed, Walker and Johnson won by the same margins so I suspect this was due more to voters listening to talk show hosts and Tea Party advocates by voting straight ticket Republican than looking at what individual candidates were proposing.

Stu, you are giving more credit on the voters than they deserve.

The Republicans got in by romanticizing voters that by voting straight ticket Republican they were registering a patriotic protest vote. Big business spent lots of advertising money to back them up pushing the "protest vote" against "lawyers" and "professional politicians" and blatantly not saying what it is they planned to accomplish. I think the majority of Wisconsin voters were asleep at the switch in November.

Now we have Walking physically chomping at the bit to begin his power grab over the State. I hope I'm wrong but I think it's going to be a dismal four years.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Lily wrote:If anyone noticed, Walker and Johnson won by the same margins so I suspect this was due more to voters listening to talk show hosts and Tea Party advocates by voting straight ticket Republican than looking at what individual candidates were proposing.

Stu, you are giving more credit on the voters than they deserve.

Which message are the recall supporters going to use to gain public support, that they dislike democracy when elections go against them, or that the voters are stupid and were duped?

kruptoons

Postby kruptoons » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Nobody has brought THIS up yet, either, other than an oblique reference to Walker and Johnson winning by the same margins---aren't the same voting machines still in place from when Bush illegally "won" re-election in 2004? I find it suspicious that I have yet to run into anyone personally on the street or anywhere else who will admit, brag, boast or crow about having put these clowns into office....makes me go "...hhhmmmmmmmm...."

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:16 pm

snoqueen wrote:I find Walker's behavior so far quite negative with all these demands before he's even inaugurated.

Was there an "Office of the Governor-Elect"?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I find Walker's behavior so far quite negative with all these demands before he's even inaugurated.

Was there an "Office of the Governor-Elect"?

If you mean a physical location, that would be wherever Walker was when he sent out the request that Doyle stop governing for the remainder of his term.

Now that he's governor, I believe he intends to outlaw such behavior.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah, enough with the sore loser "recall Walker" bullshit. Like that's gonna do anything. We lost. Grow up.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:44 pm

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:Let's keep these knobs on the defensive.

What are you so afraid of?

Do you think these knobs are going to take our bikes away, close gay bars, have compulsory cigarette smoking if we do a recall.

Finally, a recall will be fun! Frankly, I enjoy pissing these knobs off.

As a member of the knob community, I take issue with your mischaracterization of all knobs being Walker supporters. This could not be further from the truth. Knobs come in all colors, creeds and political affiliations. Why, both major parties fielded significant numbers of knobs in the last election.

Please refrain from knob-slander in the future.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”