Enough with "recall Walker" already

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
sadiekat
Senior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:56 am

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby sadiekat » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:11 pm

I think that a recall effort is an awful idea, although I believe that Walker is bad for Wisconsin. Those that elected Ron Johnson and Walker deserve an opportunity to suffer the consequences of their bad decisions, and a recall would not only not work, but it would actually be galvanzing to the GOP. I'm just stubborn enough to wait it out for the next election, kick their asses out, and start anew with a real leader.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5691
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:16 pm

lukpac wrote:
gargantua wrote:But a recall effort now is premature and foolish and I will have no part of it.


But would you sign a petition if somebody came around with one?


I would not. Look, I hate it that he killed the rail line, don't agree with his agenda, and am very concerned about what he'll do to the environment.

But my fellow citizens voted for this. He hasn't done anything to justify being recalled other than doing what he said he'd do, which pisses a lot of us off. It isn't always easy living in a democracy when you lose, but the fact remains.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3371
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby lukpac » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:45 pm

gargantua wrote:I would not.


Fair enough.

PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:06 pm
Location: 1348 Spaight Street Madison Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:48 pm

This is the argument I am hearing from those who oppose a recall.

1. It will make the republicans mad at us.
2. Vicki McKenna will say mean things about us on the radio

Well...

1. The Republicans already hate us and hate Madison
2. Vicki McKenna and right wing radio has been saying mean things about us for years.

So what.

A recall is going to be damn near impossible but I don't care. I support it anyway.

Walker will have to spend that money he is making off his inaugural, that really should be going to charity, to defend himself in a recall.

A recall will force the republicans to allocate resources in defending against it. It will cost democrats nothing because it is a grassroots effort that comes from the "people".

Let's keep these knobs on the defensive.

What are you so afraid of?

Do you think these knobs are going to take our bikes away, close gay bars, have compulsory cigarette smoking if we do a recall.

Finally, a recall will be fun! Frankly, I enjoy pissing these knobs off.

PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:06 pm
Location: 1348 Spaight Street Madison Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:51 pm

gargantua wrote:
lukpac wrote:
gargantua wrote:But a recall effort now is premature and foolish and I will have no part of it.


But would you sign a petition if somebody came around with one?


I would not. ...


I don't believe you...

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1613
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby Average Joe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 pm

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:
Walker will have to spend that money he is making off his inaugural, that really should be going to charity, to defend himself in a recall.

A recall will force the republicans to allocate resources in defending against it. It will cost democrats nothing because it is a grassroots effort that comes from the "people".


Walker and the WISGOP will not have to spend one ounce of energy or resources until after the recall collects nearly 600,000 signatures, which has to be done within a 60 day window after filing intent to recall with the state election board. Exactly how do you think those signatures will be collected without extracting resources and energy from progressives? And the "recall" can not start until January 4th, 2011. That energy would better be spent organizing for the 2012 mid-term election to try and take back the State Senate and Assembly, re-electing the president and electing Russ Feingold to Herb Kohl's vacant Senate seat.

barney
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:43 pm

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby barney » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 pm

That energy would better be spent organizing for the 2012 mid-term election to try and take back the State Senate and Assembly, re-electing the president and electing Russ Feingold to Herb Kohl's vacant Senate seat.


Amen to that - and spend energy and resources making sure that EVERYONE (especially the independents and those who didn't vote this election) is well aware of all of the idiotic and hypocritical decisions made by Walker and Johnson.

PopeyeTheSailorman
Forum Addict
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:06 pm
Location: 1348 Spaight Street Madison Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby PopeyeTheSailorman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Average Joe wrote:Walker and the WISGOP will not have to spend one ounce of energy or resources until after the recall collects nearly 600,000 signatures, which has to be done within a 60 day window after filing intent to recall with the state election board. Exactly how do you think those signatures will collected without extracting resources and energy from progressives? And the "recall" can not start until January 4th, 2011. That energy would better be spent organizing for the 2012 mid-term election to try and take back the State Senate and Assembly, re-electing the president and electing Russ Feingold to Herb Kohl's vacant Senate seat.


The effort is already underway. We are already getting organized. We will get commitments from patriots to sign a petition. We will organize meet-ups where those who have pledged to sign the petitions will come to actually sign.

We are not going to sit around for a year and then wait to get signatures by standing on State Street in the freezing cold.

A web page will be up soon where people can pledge to sign the petition and to co-ordinate the signing meet-ups.

A recall movement would nicely compliment re-electing Senator Russ Feingold and recapturing the state legislature. They are not mutually exclusive. In fact, doing them at the same time will motivate and galvanize us.

Did the tea baggers say "let's hold off and wait for the republicans to take over the house." They fought for what they believed in. They didn't care that they looked like a bunch of knobs to us lefties.

We should learn a lesson from them.

Maybe you don't support a recall. That's cool. But please don't stand in our way.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1613
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby Average Joe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:54 pm

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:
Maybe you don't support a recall. That's cool. But please don't stand in our way.


I won't stand in your way, but don't expect me to cheer on a quixotic exercise in futility when progressive energies and resources would be better used if funneled into more productive endeavors.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 6:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby bmasel » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:14 pm

the meetups are a not bad idea, but far from sufficient you'll need folks standing on State St. too, and around 500 gatherers working doors every day outstate. Figure a budget of $1.5 million.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3512
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building
Contact:

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:46 am

PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:
The effort is already underway. We are already getting organized. We will get commitments from patriots to sign a petition. We will organize meet-ups where those who have pledged to sign the petitions will come to actually sign.


Fuck you. How dare you define those who oppose your idiotic, wasteful, silly and counter-productive circle jerk as unpatriotic. Fuck you.

On the evidence of your posting, I think it's highly likely you're a GOP troll doing her best to discredit progressives. Because what you're doing makes no sense at all otherwise. You're going to hold meet-ups for 540,000 people? Good luck with that.

"Hi, would you like to sign our petition to recall Gov. Walker?"
"Why?"
"Well, because he followed through on the issues he campaigned on, and we disagree with his policies."
"Yeah, but didn't the voters elect him on the basis of those issues? Isn't he doing exactly what he said he would do?"
"Yes, but we think our policies are better."
"So you don't believe in democracy?"
"Not really, no. So would you like to sign?"
"Out of my face, jerk."


Tool.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3604
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:12 am

Stu Levitan wrote:
PopeyeTheSailorman wrote:
The effort is already underway. We are already getting organized. We will get commitments from patriots to sign a petition. We will organize meet-ups where those who have pledged to sign the petitions will come to actually sign.


Fuck you. How dare you define those who oppose your idiotic, wasteful, silly and counter-productive circle jerk as unpatriotic. Fuck you.

On the evidence of your posting, I think it's highly likely you're a GOP troll doing her best to discredit progressives. Because what you're doing makes no sense at all otherwise. You're going to hold meet-ups for 540,000 people? Good luck with that.

"Hi, would you like to sign our petition to recall Gov. Walker?"
"Why?"
"Well, because he followed through on the issues he campaigned on, and we disagree with his policies."
"Yeah, but didn't the voters elect him on the basis of those issues? Isn't he doing exactly what he said he would do?"
"Yes, but we think our policies are better."
"So you don't believe in democracy?"
"Not really, no. So would you like to sign?"
"Out of my face, jerk."


Tool.

Heh.

magic moose
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1198
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby magic moose » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:23 am

And the "D"-bag movement is born.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3972
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:59 am

magic moose wrote:And the "D"-bag movement is born.


Funniest post this year.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3512
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building
Contact:

Re: Enough with "recall Walker" already

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:00 am

Just to remind you, there's an election for Supreme Court this April. If the recall proponents wanted to do something useful over the next three months, they would devote themselves to helping unseat Justice Prosser.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests