Falk: Done in April

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Falk: Done in April

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:50 am

Tweets coming from her presser saying she's resigning in April, two years into a four-year term.

I've got a theory, but I'd like to hear yours.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Falk: Done in April

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 am

New Brewers skip?

(Surely, you don't think she'll be giving Herb a run for his ample money.)

Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Postby Like_Stink » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Hmmmm…she knows that Herb Kohl will not run for another term and she wants to gear up for a 2012 Senate run…..nah……She’ll be a couple months shy of 60 in April with a bit less than 30 years and she just wants to retire and do some sort of advocacy work??? She’s smart, she’s got a big heart (even if she rubs people occasionally the wrong way), but she’s also bored with the job and has been for a long time.

In other words, I have no idea.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 pm

She didn't want Governor?

MarcoPolo

Postby MarcoPolo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:28 pm

So are we looking at Nancy vs. Chair McD come Nov 2011?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Zach Brandon walks into her job and needs a couple years to be in office to position himself for governor vs. Scott Walker.

A fiscally conservative, pro-biz Brandon with unimpeachable Dem bona fides stacks up pretty well against Walker, whose economic stimulus gimmicks will have done nothing.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:51 pm

@Jason: Have you basically given up on Barrett? (Asking sincerely—I have no clue what's going on in that race.)

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:12 pm

jjoyce wrote:Zach Brandon walks into her job

Brenda Konkel just burped.

jjoyce wrote:Walker, whose economic stimulus gimmicks

Asking state bureaucrats to invest in their own retirement savings plans instead of drawing limitlessly from a state pension plan is a gimmick?

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Perfect timing for Dave to move over, address land use and transportation issues on a broader scale.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Perfect timing for Dave to move over, address land use and transportation issues on a broader scale.

O local historian: is there a history of Madison mayors becoming county execs and / or vice-versa? It seems to be a lateral move.

Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Postby Like_Stink » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Perfect timing for Dave to move over, address land use and transportation issues on a broader scale.

We can only pray that's not the case. I will be as unhappy to see Kathleen gone as I will be happy once Dave is gone.

craptacular

Postby craptacular » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:30 pm

jjoyce wrote:Zach Brandon walks into her job and needs a couple years to be in office to position himself for governor vs. Scott Walker.

MarcoPolo wrote: So are we looking at Nancy vs. Chair McD come Nov 2011?

Zach would, indeed, be an interesting candidate. While his choice of Presidential candidates left a lot to be desired, I was impressed by his time on the Common Council. He'd get attacked on both sides, which means he's doing something right. I'd consider myself a moderately conservative libertarian living in a progressive Government-as-nanny county, but based on current knowledge and the names thrown out so far (or others that I could think of), I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Zach.

I hope Mistele stays a long, long way from this race. When I had no idea who she was, but announced her candidacy against Falk, I was excited just to have what sounded like a reasonable candidate. Then she actually ran ... a horrible campaign to say the least. Falk was as vulnerable as she's ever been, and a decent candidate might have actually had a (small) chance. She scared off a lot of moderate or even conservative voters with her style. There were plenty of legitimate issues to use against Falk (transportation, land use, 911 center, etc), but Mistele went over the top and focused on the Zimmerman case too much.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Is anybody annoyed that she is resigning?

It seems to me that if she didn't want to do the time, she shouldn't have run in 2010. I've never really had a lot of respect for elected officials who resign for reasons other than moving out of the district or health reasons (I thought Soglin should have filed his term out as well). She was elected into that position by the Dane County voters for four years and I don't really see that she has a right to just abandon the job because she is bored.

If there is some ulterior motive than what she said (basically, I've done everything that I wanted to do and am bored), she should state it to the people who voted her into office.

MarcoPolo

Postby MarcoPolo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:00 pm

craptacular wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Zach Brandon walks into her job and needs a couple years to be in office to position himself for governor vs. Scott Walker.

MarcoPolo wrote: So are we looking at Nancy vs. Chair McD come Nov 2011?

Zach would, indeed, be an interesting candidate. While his choice of Presidential candidates left a lot to be desired, I was impressed by his time on the Common Council. He'd get attacked on both sides, which means he's doing something right. I'd consider myself a moderately conservative libertarian living in a progressive Government-as-nanny county, but based on current knowledge and the names thrown out so far (or others that I could think of), I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Zach.

I hope Mistele stays a long, long way from this race. When I had no idea who she was, but announced her candidacy against Falk, I was excited just to have what sounded like a reasonable candidate. Then she actually ran ... a horrible campaign to say the least. Falk was as vulnerable as she's ever been, and a decent candidate might have actually had a (small) chance. She scared off a lot of moderate or even conservative voters with her style. There were plenty of legitimate issues to use against Falk (transportation, land use, 911 center, etc), but Mistele went over the top and focused on the Zimmerman case too much.

Hmm, I think Scott has him beat on a number of fronts. He is more active and aligned with the powers that be in the local party, has more money saved up, and can turn out center left/left folks. If there is apparently a center left uprising coming down the pipe for Mayor Dave, then Zach Brandon could only make it worse if he runs for County Exec on the same ballot.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Is anybody annoyed that she is resigning?

I am. I don't like getting Palin'd by anybody. There would have to be a pretty good reason not to finish her term for me to not be a little let down by this. If she's lobbying for a higher office then I wouldn't vote for someone who bailed on their responsibilities to campaign for something bigger. My vote for Falk was a contract.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”