Brenda Konkel sounding like a scorned ex-mistress?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brenda Konkel sounding like a scorned ex-mistress?

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:15 am

Brenda Konkel wrote:I find it interesting that Stu finds corporate sponsorship of political fundraisers ok.

I find it interesting that you seem to think the only people allowed to participate in the political process are those who don't engage in any kind of economic or civic activity whatsoever.

By your logic "someone should file a complaint" with GAB over your homie Ben Manski's fundraiser a few weeks ago, since the marquee guests are identified by their affiliations and I'm sure the orgs aren't properly registered as PACs.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:25 am

Brenda, you're proving my point. Identifying individuals by their professional roles is not the same as "corporate sponsorship," and you know it. And whether or not friends of yours also believe there's some nefarious link between the bike trip and the fundraiser is really sort of irrelevant. So again I ask -- what is it that the event sponsors are getting out of the transaction that causes you to compare their situation to that of Dunn/Hammes?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Brenda, you're proving my point. Identifying individuals by their professional roles is not the same as "corporate sponsorship," and you know it. And whether or not friends of yours also believe there's some nefarious link between the bike trip and the fundraiser is really sort of irrelevant. So again I ask -- what is it that the event sponsors are getting out of the transaction that causes you to compare their situation to that of Dunn/Hammes?

Stu, Brenda is honoring you by taking more than 16 hours to reply so far. I can hardly wait to see what the product of that much thought will bring to this discussion!

And I tend to be somewhat sympathetic to her viewpoint.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:23 am

Sorry, I didn't get a notification that someone responded, just saw it now due to a google alert.

I don't know what the intent is, there is a question, is the corporation or the individual sponsoring the event? It's unclear. It is unusual for hosts of a political event to be identified that way. I can't think of a comparable situation.

The Manski thing, I'm not sure about - they were panelists for a discussion so it seems reasonable to identify why they were on the panel, but it does also raise questions. I'm not that involved with the campaign, but if I had been given that lit to review, I would have questioned it.

What are they getting? A planitnum bike city for where their businesses are located. And lots of business and free publicity. And a cheerleader for their causes, that can make things happen like bike boxes and other things that they are likely lobbying for.

It's kind of interesting to see Dave pushing the limits actually given the discussions at the ethics committee of late, but they weren't really covered by the media, so most people wouldn't know about them. But his staff were there.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:just saw it now due to a google alert.

Do you have a google alert set to your own name?

Brenda Konkel wrote:I don't know what the intent is, there is a question, is the corporation or the individual sponsoring the event? It's unclear.

It may be unclear to you. To me, it looks like they are identifying where they come from. If I saw the flier and the name with out the identifier, I wouldn't know who they are.

Brenda Konkel wrote:The Manski thing, I'm not sure about - they were panelists for a discussion so it seems reasonable to identify why they were on the panel

It's an after party. Did they have a panel set up at the restaurant. These, too, were used as identifiers.

Brenda Konkel wrote:What are they getting? A planitnum bike city for where their businesses are located. And lots of business and free publicity.

For fuck sake, these are global companies. Do you really think their sales are skyrocketing because the mayor wanted to put a bike box in.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Stuart - this isn't this big of a deal for me. I made an observation and moved on. Find someone else to fight with today, to much important work to be done.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:Stuart - this isn't this big of a deal for me. I made an observation and moved on. Find someone else to fight with today, to much important work to be done.

I don't really care if the conversation continues or not, but Brenda--who are you talking to? Stu hasn't chimed in for a while now, neither here (10/2) nor at your original post (9/30).

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Oh, "not that big of a deal", Brenda, huh? You're quite willing to accuse the mayor of being a corrupt politician, but when you're challenged to be consistent, you "have other things to do".

Bitch.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:31 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I don't really care if the conversation continues or not, but Brenda--who are you talking to? Stu hasn't chimed in for a while now, neither here (10/2) nor at your original post (9/30).

Doh . . . see, really not paying attention! Nevermind. I'll try to concentrate on one thing at a time now . . . :oops:

radboy
Forum Addict

Postby radboy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Return to “Local Politics & Government”