City of Madison CDA Screws African Americans

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: City of Madison CDA Screws African Americans

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:10 pm

radboy wrote: I still question why he defends, at least implicitly, Alder Tim Bruer in this matter.

So do I, brother, so do I.

Forum Addict

Postby radboy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Last edited by radboy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby feh23 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:. We're doing it to make a better neighborhood and improve the quality of life for the people who live there.
The council has approved a plan for the neighborhood that includes quality affordable senior housing project at that location. Council has appropriate funds for the project, and directed us to do it. Unfortunately, the project requires the condemnation of several properties, owned and well-operated by persons of color. {Almost all came last night, and all who came made very impressive presentations. (I saw at least one future alder there.)} Most of the properties are decent and well run, some are not. It's a damn shame that we're interrupting several families long-term financial strategy, and I think we should take affirmative steps to assist several of them with purchasing new properties. I'm sorry we didn't do something about that last night, and will see what I can do about it.

I don't understand. Madison has a really nice giant vacant lot right on E. Wash. and at least several dozen crappy properties that are run by slumlords. Yet, to get some senior housing (that sounds like it might end up being poorly managed/maintained anyway) will be more than happy to go into a very poor neighborhood and force decent landlords to sell at an insanely low prices because that's what the CDA can afford?
What is so wrong with: simply not buying things you can't afford, using the unused spaces, and getting rid of the crappy landlords first? I have a hard time believing that there is such a huge shortage of senior housing in Madison that this has to be done now and in this way.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Last edited by swimmingupstream on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:46 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Years ago someone told me that the publisher of Isthmus, Vince O'Hern, would not support too negative stories about Bruer's antics because they are friends. I am not sure about the other papers in town. It does seem like Bruer is just too colorful of a character to not cover.

That's a fascinating and wholly unfounded perspective. ... icle=26507 ... icle=22249 ... icle=26520 ... icle=25580

The Burr Oaks development is a subject worthy of discussion. Let's stay on target, shall we?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”