I thot' 'Sconnies were Murrican

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

I thot' 'Sconnies were Murrican

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:48 pm

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I thot' 'Sconnies were Murrican

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:27 pm

First of all, "sconnie" is a term invented in Madison and is either not widely recognized as an accepted moniker for state citizenship or kind of perceived as patronizing by those Wisconsinites outside of Dane County.

It's probably a safe bet that my political views and those of this guy up in Crivitz would not overlap much, but I kind of admire his 'don't tread on me' spirit.

From the Green Bay Press-Gazette:

Congine, a Marine veteran who served in Iraq in 2004, said he intends to keep flying the flag upside down, although vandals removed a rope this week from the 32-foot pole it was on, and another man trespassed onto his property to try to remove it.

"It is extremely scary that the police or the district attorney or a legislative body feels they can take any law and just put it aside for their own interests," Congine said. "It is pretty bad when I go and fight a tyrannical government somewhere else and then I come home to find it right here at my front door."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... tz-dispute

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:24 am

That the district attorney would authorize the confiscation of the flag from private property, in violation of at least two parts of the Bill of Rights, seems to be grounds for removal from office - either by recall or someone who honors our constitution running against him.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Congine must have hired Dave Wigganowski as his business consultant.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:39 pm

No, not the smartest move to invest money into a business plan prior to securing the liquor license and probably not the best PR move to use the flag distress signal to protest, but he is getting a lot of free publicity. Up north near Crivitz, being a vet carries a lot of respect and prestige with the locals* and I'm betting he will eventually get his liquor license.

*Not that it doesn't here, but in smaller towns there seems to be a greater awareness of who in the community served or is serving than in larger communities.

GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby GODDOG » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:16 pm

white_rabbit wrote:First of all, "sconnie" is a term invented in Madison and is either not widely recognized as an accepted moniker for state citizenship or kind of perceived as patronizing by those Wisconsinites outside of Dane County.

Udder, get it, udder Bullshit. I've lived in Northern WI, Southern WI, Eastern WI and Western WI and everyone in these parts used Sconnie. You have zero proof it started here and your provincial attitude stinks worse than an IA pig farm, rabbit. And who says it is a moniker...it's called a funny nickname, lighten up.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:04 pm

GODDOG wrote:
Udder, get it, udder Bullshit. I've lived in Northern WI, Southern WI, Eastern WI and Western WI and everyone in these parts used Sconnie.

I'm born and raised Upper Michigan/Northern Wisconsin and went to college in Green Bay, I spent a summer in Hurley and almost went to college in Duluth/Superior. I worked a summer in Door County at the Landmark and after college I lived in Iron Mountain but spent a lot of time in Spread Eagle, Peshtigo, Marinette, Oconto and Rhinelander. I'm quite familiar with upstate Wisconsin and still to this day have not heard anyone outside of Madison utter the term "sconnie". Where are these north, west, east and south Wisconsin communities that speak "sconnie"?

You have zero proof it started here

Here is more proof than you have that "Sconnie" wasn't started in Madison...

The term was branded by 19 year old University of Wisconsin-Madison students Ben Fiechtner and Troy Vosseller in 2004...It's used most frequently at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where social differences between in-state students and out-of-state have stimulated the creation of labels such as "Sconnies" and "Coasties."...The term is still largely unfamiliar in most of Wisconsin and is generally used only in a humorous context.

And who says it is a moniker...it's called a funny nickname, lighten up.

Golly gee, isn't the definition of moniker "nickname"?

You are a tired, boring ass-hat, dog.

GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby GODDOG » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:31 pm

TransWiki is your source?
Laughable.
I found this at the very top of your link.
"This section does not cite its references or sources.
You can help Wiktionary verify this information by introducing appropriate citations."
So some kid at UW found a way to market a word does not proof make.
I also found this in your proof.
"Sconnie is considered a term of endearment that describes the stereotypically friendly, though perhaps slightly provincial mid-westerner."
So where is the patronizing part fit in as you posted earlier?
When one resorts to name calling, the debate is finis.
I am actually well rested. It was a great weekend in ol' Wisconsin to see great music, craft art, and enjoy the beers brewed by our very own "sconnies". Nice try at ruffling my fur but unlike you I ain't an angry animal, rabbit.
Last edited by GODDOG on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:32 pm

GODDOG wrote:Udder, get it, udder Bullshit. I've lived in Northern WI, Southern WI, Eastern WI and Western WI and everyone in these parts used Sconnie. You have zero proof it started here and your provincial attitude stinks worse than an IA pig farm, rabbit. And who says it is a moniker...it's called a funny nickname, lighten up.

I never heard the term until they started selling t-shirts. So at least in Racine it was apparently less than popular.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:47 pm

As a lifelong Wisconsonite who was born during the Truman administration, I've never heard the term 'Sconnie until relatively recently. Neither have my old fart friends (and we have discussed this matter in detail). And we all hate it.

So there.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Wow, a name-calling argument over the origin of "Sconnie." I guess anything will set people off these days.

Can't say I like the term much, but it's infinitely better than Cheesehead.

minnow
Forum Addict

Postby minnow » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:48 pm

nickname? Well I must say Cheesehead or "Sconnie" is better than FIB, or FIBTAB. Poor suckers from Illinois. I never heard the word either and I grew up in Madison til 73, and have stayed in Dane county since then. I now learned 2 more interesting words. "Sconnie" and "Murrican." Might have to check with my granddaughter to see if there are any other ones out there. :lol:

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:07 pm

GODDOG wrote:When one resorts to name calling, the debate is finis..

Seriously, considering you starting name calling in your initial post, there lies the strength of your "debate".

You said I had "zero" proof, I provided an iota of proof. Now, you have zero proof that "sconnie" wasn't created in Madison, provide some proof to back up your statements. I would also like to know what places in north, west, south and east Wisconsin that you have lived where "Sconnie" is a common term, as you stated above.

GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby GODDOG » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:53 pm

GODDOG wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:First of all, "sconnie" is a term invented in Madison and is either not widely recognized as an accepted moniker for state citizenship or kind of perceived as patronizing by those Wisconsinites outside of Dane County.

Udder, get it, udder Bullshit. I've lived in Northern WI, Southern WI, Eastern WI and Western WI and everyone in these parts used Sconnie. You have zero proof it started here and your provincial attitude stinks worse than an IA pig farm, rabbit. And who says it is a moniker...it's called a funny nickname, lighten up.

Here is my first post. Where is the name calling? Rabbit? Udder? It is a pun of Utter. I wasn't calling you a tit. Though that would be funny. Rabbit, ummm... that is your moniker right? White underline rabbit? And I, unlike you, don't feel the need to bore my fellow forons with my living habits nor do I feel it would prove anything anyway. I guess what I feel is that the term is an obvious abbreviation of the last part of Wisconsin.
My mother and I would argue about me cleaning my room as a child and she would finally blurt out "Just Do It". That was in the late 70's, so by your logic Nike owes her a shit-ton of money!
Sorry I won't believe some kid at UW was the first person to create said term. The first w/ a good brain to market it but the first to use it....? me thinks not. By the way I am the first to use the term "townie" because I put it on a shirt once in high school! :roll:
Anyway the topic is this man's right to protest not your soap box to brag-ass how you know meaningless WI trivia by typing it into Google.
I say that town better give him his license now or he just may bankrupt them in court. Wave your flag any way you see fit soldier boy...you earned it.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Dog, I seriously want to know where in north, west, east and south Wisconsin that you lived where "sconnie" is commonly used. I'll let go the part where you called me provincial and that my attitude smelled like pig shit, but I really, really want to know these parts of the state that you lived that commonly use the term "sconnie".

And if you go back and review the posts, my posts were an attempt to draw attention to boston-jeff's link about this guys right to protest and I was defending him. It's your posts that have distracted the conversation.
Last edited by white_rabbit on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”