'Racism' in the 20th

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 'Racism' in the 20th

Postby boston_jeff » Sun May 17, 2009 8:47 pm

Its pretty clear who the tools are here.

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Sun May 17, 2009 10:10 pm

David Blaska wrote: Shots fired at 6 p.m., in the early evening, when the shopping center is in full operation! Think of that! Tell me that property values didn't just go down. Tell me that, there were not, literally, a few broken windows.

Hmmmm...my neighborhood, on the near west side, has had several robberies and breakins. A few weeks ago there was a break in while the people were home at 5 in the AM. The burglar smashed a window to get in. He was caught a couple of blocks away.

Also, a woman was killed several blocks away last year. There have been several burglaries on Monroe St. There is gang graffiti around. Did any of this send the property values down? No.

Now the latest murder, in Fitchburg, was done by a white man, who is still on the loose, by the way. Last seen driving a black pick up with license plate # AB6336 - Steven Weber is 5'7", 190 lb.s and was wearing a jean jacket and light-colored blue jeans. There's a photo of him here.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon May 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:I'm all for reducing crime and improving parenting skills, but making generalizations about people I don't know isn't the appropriate first step. Some people care more about their stock portfolios, snorting cocaine, and fucking their secretaries than they do looking after their kids. Let's start blaming them too. When the bad parents in all nabes are held accountable and stereotypes are not being invoked, it becomes less "racist."

Straight up, Jeff.

That's right, Jeff. There are so many shootings in Nakoma, Maple Bluff, University Ridge, and the Highlands from people "caring more about their stock portfolios and ... fucking their secretaries" that people can't feel safe going to the library. BTW, I care a lot about my stock portfolio. That is because I saved for it all my life and hoping it takes care of me in my retirement, my widow, and my son. Work + Saving = Compassion & Responsibility.

Shooting across a busy street at a bank and library is NOT compassion on any level. It does not help the shooter or his family, much less innocent bystanders and whoever screwed the shooter in his drug deal.

Get this Jeff, there are NO excuses.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Jesus, Blaska, does your reading comprehension need work. Jeff's pointing out other examples of fucked-up parental priorities. He said nothing about the sort of criminal activity you reference. Way to put words in the dude's mouth while simultaneously swallowing your own foot. That's some gymnastic feat there. Cirque du Soleil could use a nimble jackass like you.

And no one, but no one is sitting here defending criminal activity.

If you can't argue in good faith, why don't you stick to kvetching like an old man at a brick wall ... er ... I mean blogging.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon May 18, 2009 3:50 pm

Yes, there are all kinds of fucked up parental priorities. But Boston Jeffie is trying to make a John Cheever-like indictment of the working and professional classes and it's not working. But whatever their f-ed up priorities, he has not demonstrated that such shortcomings (be they that) are creating a threat to public safety or even deteriorated quality of life.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon May 18, 2009 4:25 pm

David Blaska wrote:Yes, there are all kinds of fucked up parental priorities. But Boston Jeffie is trying to make a John Cheever-like indictment of the working and professional classes and it's not working. But whatever their f-ed up priorities, he has not demonstrated that such shortcomings (be they that) are creating a threat to public safety or even deteriorated quality of life.

I take it that you are rarely a pedestrian.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon May 18, 2009 4:35 pm

David Blaska wrote:Yes, there are all kinds of fucked up parental priorities. But Boston Jeffie is trying to make a John Cheever-like indictment of the working and professional classes and it's not working. But whatever their f-ed up priorities, he has not demonstrated that such shortcomings (be they that) are creating a threat to public safety or even deteriorated quality of life.

Such a pottymouth. What would George Washington say?!?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:40 pm

David Blaska wrote: Jason, Conservative rule of nature #1: bad people do bad things with whatever tools they can get their hands on.

I agree with this comment. But then you also say:

David Blaska wrote:As you know, I am a believer in the Broken Windows theory of policing. That you control the quality of life issues -- loitering, graffiti, vandalism -- and ultimately you stop the big things.

So won't bad people do bad things no matter what the environment is like.

Crime happens everywhere. The person committing the crime doesn't necessarily have to live in the area where they commit the crime. Often they don't because it's easier to get caught committing the crime where you live.

Often people say things they didn't "mean" to be racist, but it comes across that way and it is just as damning.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 18, 2009 4:43 pm

David Blaska wrote:
As you know, I am a believer in the Broken Windows theory of policing. That you control the quality of life issues -- loitering, graffiti, vandalism -- and ultimately you stop the big things.

You also appear to be from the Judge Everything and Everyone by Their Appearance theory of being a fucking douchebag.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon May 18, 2009 5:09 pm

This confusion about "Broken Windows" needs to end.

That theory of policing holds that you have to actually enforce the little laws so punks don't start thinking they can get away with anything and start doing the big stuff. That means if someone breaks a window, you haul them in. If someone spray paints his name on your wall, you haul him in. Disturbing the peace, stealing bikes, etc., etc. The biggest complaint at the neighborhood listening sessions that took place in the 20th in 2007 wasn't trolleys, it was that people were calling the cops about graffiti and the cops weren't coming. Chief Wray insisted that he needed more cops if he was going to do that. And here we are. He also improved the self-report system, or at least claimed to. I don't know anyone who has used it.

The curfew thing is actually adding a new law, not deciding to start enforcing an existing one. Meanwhile what would be done if I called the cops about a bike theft? How will this new curfew help me there?

Here's what the tighter curfew will do: Put cops in contact with kids who aren't really doing anything wrong other than hanging out in the park or walking home when Blaska and Thuy think they should be at home. How will this do anything but distract cops away from doing the whole, you know, broken windows thing?

If kids are fighting at the park, then take them in for that. If they're dealing drugs, selling weapons, spray painting, stealing hubcaps, trespassing, licking toads, etc., then take them in for any of those transgressions.

Is the lack of a tighter curfew law somehow preventing a cop from getting out of his car, walking into the park and chatting with the kids hanging out there to find out whether anyone's watching out for them at home? Do you only want cops and kids to interface with one another when the former is tagging the latter for a violation?

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon May 18, 2009 5:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:This confusion about "Broken Windows" needs to end.

That theory of policing holds that you have to actually enforce the little laws so punks don't start thinking they can get away with anything and start doing the big stuff. That means if someone breaks a window, you haul them in.

Don't know if you saw Sunday's page 1 headline: "A police detective warned Dane County Human Services that Amaya Walker, 3, was living in a 'transitory and risky' situation." That's the little girl that died.

No crime there, right? "Transitory and risky" is not in the criminal code. Same thing with curfew. Did this kid just spray-paint that store wall? Prove it. Did that kid just run through a backyard stomping out the marigolds? Where is your proof?

But you do have the act of violating a curfew. The concept is that a kid should not be out and about without adult supervision late at night. It's not an imposition. The police asked for this tool.

Jason, let's end this confusion. You want everything to go to juvenile court with a court-appointed public defender to be litigated. That's the ACLU model. It stacks the deck in the wrong direction.

You got a broken window. It wasn't broken 10 minutes ago. But the rock you find inside bears no finger prints. You can't arrest anyone! All you've got is a bunch of kids laughing at your impotence -- and your stupidity.

The problem is that you were trying to help them but nobody will let you. If they can get away with throwing a rock through a window certainly the notion of other transitory pleasures will present themselves.

redchuck

Postby redchuck » Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:"Wilding in the streets?" Seriously? What, did you just crawl out of the talkies or something?

"Wilding the the streets", AFAIK, refers to the behavior a group of youths in ski masks engaged in several springs ago when they chased my mother out of my front yard, in the course of running down the street whooping and smashing car windows with baseball bats, two blocks from the west side police station.

This is why I don't really care if Thuy properly performs the political correctness dance of obsequity as long as she doesn't falter at trying to get thugs off the streets. She seems like the only Madison politician who isn't more upset about there being a drive through at Starbucks, plastic bags in stores, or too much parking downtown than about my fiance being too scared to go for a walk.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Uh oh, mom got chased out of the yard again. The Madison crime wave continues.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon May 18, 2009 8:23 pm

David Blaska wrote:No crime there, right? "Transitory and risky" is not in the criminal code. Same thing with curfew. Did this kid just spray-paint that store wall? Prove it. Did that kid just run through a backyard stomping out the marigolds? Where is your proof?

But you do have the act of violating a curfew. The concept is that a kid should not be out and about without adult supervision late at night. It's not an imposition. The police asked for this tool.

As you pointed out, the shooting out of the car window happened at 6pm, well before curfew. How exactly would that have helped? And what is the likelihood that it was kids that did it?

You got a broken window. It wasn't broken 10 minutes ago. But the rock you find inside bears no finger prints. You can't arrest anyone! All you've got is a bunch of kids laughing at your impotence -- and your stupidity.

The problem is that you were trying to help them but nobody will let you. If they can get away with throwing a rock through a window certainly the notion of other transitory pleasures will present themselves.

Who is "they"? Kids laughing at stupidity != crime.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon May 18, 2009 8:34 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Uh oh, mom got chased out of the yard again. The Madison crime wave continues.

You are an awful person.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”