Big endorsements in 2nd A.D.

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Big endorsements in 2nd A.D.

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:52 am

I hear there are some very big endorsements coming in the Konkel/Maniaci contest. Look for a supergroup photo to appear presently -- one that will make Walter very happy.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Re: Big endorsements in 2nd A.D.

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

So Mayor Dave, Soglin and Sensenbrenner endorsed Maniaci. I don't think this was a surprise.

http://riotinthecity.blogspot.com/2009_ ... chive.html

Soglin's still around? I thought perhaps that he might be in an assisted living facility by now.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:57 am

Pogoagogo wrote:So Mayor Dave, Soglin and Sensenbrenner endorsed Maniaci.

All the more reason to vote for Brenda.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 am

I have to ask, what did these 3 mayors do that was so terrible for District 2? My knowledge of mayoral history is lacking.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 am

juanton wrote:I have to ask, what did these 3 mayors do that was so terrible for District 2? My knowledge of mayoral history is lacking.

Not so much Soglin or Sensenbrenner, but I appreciate that Brenda is not a 'yes man' to Mayor Dave.

thewheel
Forum Addict

Postby thewheel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:29 am

Randy New Man

Postby Randy New Man » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:01 pm

Pogoagogo wrote:Soglin's still around? I thought perhaps that he might be in an assisted living facility by now.
Yeah, that’s where his is . . . along with the rest of the liberals from the days when they had some class and understood civility.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:11 pm

With all due respect to those Forons with more political experience and understanding than I have, but the important thing here is not that these guys want Brenda out (that much we knew), but that they think Bridget is running a strong enough campaign that she could actually win. No matter how much they oppose Brenda, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't go with a formal endorsement of Bridget if they didn't think it could pay off. And for those voters tuning in late, the fact that the mayor and two predecessors (one of whom lives in the district) have endorsed against the incumbent is actually pretty big news.

But, as always, ymmv.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:25 pm

Dave may feel like he has to support Maniaci since he went public with his wish to have Konkel replaced. What was he supposed to do? Sit by and not endorse the challenger?

As far as Soglin and Sensenbrenner, maybe they just remember what it was like to be mayor and always have some pain in the butt alder mucking about with their well planned agendas. :lol:

Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:35 pm

"...some very big endorsements coming..."

This is why I got out of local politics. It insulted my intelligence on too regular a schedule. It's all about making a big personality-based splash. In the process of getting splashed upon, you, as the voter, are supposed to jump past the thoughtfulness that might make you wonder - "well, what do these guys have to do with my life?" and go straight to "oh, he's a BIG guy (at least in terms of Madison). This candidate must be 'what's happening'".

And to Stu's point that this is about equations, tell me please, what do you think "..if they didn't think it could pay off" means? For whom?

Randy New Man

Postby Randy New Man » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Berigan's still around? I thought perhaps that he might be in an assisted living facility by now. No wait that's just liberals with class, not the koolaid kids of PD.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Nick
"Pay off" as in being worthwhile, something that would make a difference in the election. Meaning it would be worth the risk to the endorser of potentially being exposed as not having transferrable political capital. I don't think such a locution is unusual. What on earth did you think I meant? Just how suspicious and cynical are you?

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 pm

"Big endorsements?" Please. More like "The Three Stooges." Soglin even looks like Moe.

I think voters should give these endorsements as much weight as they should give any endorsement, and that includes endorsements by Progressive Dane. Exactly zero.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Unlike other endorsements, none of these three are really sticking their necks out, are they? Cieslewicz is on record for wanting Brenda out of the picture and the other two have nothing to lose in any kind of endorsement.

Plus, I doubt Brenda sought endorsements from any of them.

That said, it makes for even more attention and more discussion.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:57 pm

jjoyce wrote:Unlike other endorsements, none of these three are really sticking their necks out, are they? Cieslewicz is on record for wanting Brenda out of the picture and the other two have nothing to lose in any kind of endorsement.

The endorsements are a net positive for Maniaci, not because they swing votes* but because they give her credibility, particularly with folks who have money to donate, friends to cajole, and bodies to canvass.
Plus, I doubt Brenda sought endorsements from any of them.

It fits into Konkel's frame as the tireless advocate of those dispossessed from the city establishment. I doubt it hurts her much, if at all.

* In either direction. You'd have to be completely gullible to believe anyone who says this endorsement pushes them into the Konkel camp was ever going to vote for Maniaci in the first place.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”