Billboard!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Billboard!

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Korrigan
Forum Addict

Re: Billboard!

Postby Korrigan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:14 pm

I spotted that this morning, and I thought it said something about Brenda Konkel being a "MANIAC", which I thought was a bit harsh. I don't live in District 2, so I had to think for a 2nd and the name "Bridget Ann Maniaci" popped into my head. (I think that's the name? Or maybe I'm mixing up candidates.) Digesting it further, I realized, wow, it has a line drawn, just like a ballot! Very deep. I subconsciously decided to move 3 blocks so that I could vote there.

If 700 yard signs garnered Eric whats-his-name only 250 votes in #2, will a billboard generate more interest?

The billboard is really sorta lame. Driving, I could only catch a glimpse and saw the big ol' badge, which I promptly assumed was that of that private security guy who was pretending to be a cop and writing tickets. And naming one's opponent in an ad seems to violate common sense.

Maybe bus riders get a good gander at it from the right lane--oops, they can't read it, because of the bus wraps. Snag!

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 pm

The police association paid for it, and I agree that it's not a great design or use of funds.

That having been said: Does Basford have anything to say on the race that isn't "LOL Bridget is dumb"?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:13 am

Yes, seriously.

Konkel is arguably in the least assured race since her initial election. During her tenure on the council, she has never supported any measure-budget, staffing, or equipment-designed to provide the citizens of not only her own district but the entire city with better and more efficient police service.

The Madison Professional Police Officers Association billboard is up for 1 day at a high traffic location in Konkel's district. Parties are already trying to counter its message by mocking the billboard on a website belonging to a paper widely read in her district rather than addressing its content.

Draw your own conclusion regarding the effectiveness of one billboard.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:51 am

Never? I'm sure that is what you were told, but better check your facts. I just don't blindly vote for things I can find out about "tomorrow" after I vote (Tomorrow in that case was 7 or 8 months later). When you pay money for a study, it makes sense to find out what it says before you act. And its not inappropriate to ask for information before you vote and actually get answers. Silly things like that. More interesting info here. Did you know only 1/3 of the 30 cops ended up on patrol? I know, facts are irrelevant. Flame on.

Korrigan
Forum Addict

Postby Korrigan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 am

To mock more than the design would be to imply it had content, not to mention assert that design and content are somehow unrelated.

There are lots of ads in the paper with big, shiny badges. When I see a billboard featuring a big, shiny badge, it makes me think of those ads. Traveling at motor vehicle speeds doesn't allow one to read the print, fine or otherwise.

See? That's how marketing works, by creating an association. If you don't like the association, don't rely on that imagery.

E.g.: tell us instead how Maniaci delivered the mail to old people in Pound, Wisconsin.
Last edited by Korrigan on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:09 am

So, is the discussion about the content of the billboard or whether buying a billboard is a lame city council campaign strategy?

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 am

Maybe they understood when they put it up that many more people will see it through media coverage than by actually driving by.

wondering if any local writers will come out with headlines stating that " police officers endorse Mancia" based on this endorsement...

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 am

Peacetrain wrote:Maybe they understood when they put it up that many more people will see it through media coverage than by actually driving by.

wondering if any local writers will come out with headlines stating that " police officers endorse Mancia" based on this endorsement...

Don't they? Who do you think the "Madison Professional Police Officers Association" represent exactly?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:36 am

Brenda Konkel wrote:Never? I'm sure that is what you were told, but better check your facts. I just don't blindly vote for things I can find out about "tomorrow" after I vote (Tomorrow in that case was 7 or 8 months later). When you pay money for a study, it makes sense to find out what it says before you act. And its not inappropriate to ask for information before you vote and actually get answers. Silly things like that. More interesting info here. Did you know only 1/3 of the 30 cops ended up on patrol? I know, facts are irrelevant. Flame on.

Facts are relevent and I stand by my statement. I would like to know when you have voted for any proposal involving police staffing, budget, or equipment as it was proposed.

You have received information before you voted. You don't like the answers. You ask questions you know can not be answered with exact numbers because of the nature of turn over, promotion, retirement, call volume and then say the police department is being secretive.

Yes, "only" a percentage of the 30 ended up on patrol. You knew that was going to happen, or should have. I knew it and everybody I work with knew it. Somehow or another, 400 people kept this a big secret. It was not the first time the department added that many officers at one time. In the last 12 years, we added 32 officers twice. This does not include the 30 added you mention.

Every year we have to fill spots vacated due to retirements and promotion. Where did you think these bodies come from? You can't dump that many bodies into patrol without the proper cars and equipment, which we don't have, and it takes more than a year to get an officer on the street due to recruitment and training. Someone with a degree in criminal justice should know about how budgeting, planning, resource management works, especially with several years of council experience, too.

So my question is: are you generally not supportive of law enforcement or do you not understand how the department and planning process works?

Our PAC has repeatedly sent you questions to evaluate your positions to help us determine who to support at election time. I don't recall that you bothered even once to reply. That leaves us to judge you by your voting record and public comments.

Yeah, the rank and file cops generally don't like you. You've given us plenty of reasons not to support you. I can't speak to how the brass feel about you but they probably aren't too fond of you either. The MPPOA doesn't endorse you and you are more vulnerable now than ever before. You think we're going to sit on the sidelines when a candidate who is not supportive of us could fall?

From my perspective, District 2 will either keep someone on the council who has an anti-law enforcement inclination or it won't. I'd rather it didn't.

Flame off.

Peacetrain wrote:Maybe they understood when they put it up that many more people will see it through media coverage than by actually driving by.

Could be... :idea:

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:54 am

Walter wrote:So my question is: are you generally not supportive of law enforcement or do you not understand how the department and planning process works?

Walter wrote:Our PAC has repeatedly sent you questions to evaluate your positions to help us determine who to support at election time. I don't recall that you bothered even once to reply.

Assuming this is true, I think you've answered the question posed above.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:03 am

Walter - I've been in interviews with MPPOA (2003 definitely, and I believe also in 2001, wasn't offered one this year or when I ran unopposed). Here are this year's answers. You need to get your facts straight.

rom Brenda Konkel <brendakonkel@gmail.com>
to mppoapac@gmail.com
date Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:26 PM
subject Konkel MPPOA Answers
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details Feb 1

I don't have a resume as I have been Executive Director of the Tenant Resource Center from 1995 to present. Prior to that I ran my own law office for 2 years. I have a Criminal Justice degree from UW-Platteville (1990) and a law degree from UW-Madison (1993). I've served on over 30 different city committees and have served 4 terms on the City Council, including being Common Council president from 2004-2005.

1. I wish to serve on the Common Council to continue working on several projects in my district and city wide. Those projects include disposition of the houses in James Madison Park, the development of the 600 Block of E Johnson, the redevelopment of the Edgewater Hotel and a traffic plan for the Isthmus that are district specific items. Citywide issues include a more fair and transparent budget process, the hiring practices work of the subcommittee of the Common Council Organizational Committee, keeping the bus fares low and housing and homelessness issues.

2. My public safety priorities are to return to a system that places more emphasis on community policing. More, not less, neighborhood officers and continue support of the neighborhood liaison officers.

3. My priorities are the same as everyone's: basic services. However, my definition of "basic" goes beyond streets and public safety and it includes Community Services that I believe also help the police department: youth programs, quality childcare, homeless services, etc.

4. Yes, I support cost of living increases to the compensation packages of city employees.

5. This is the first I have heard of the arbitration issue. I need to know more about it. However, I also have concerns about the PFC process and this may resolve some of those issues.

6. The most important issues facing my constituents seems to be traffic and development. They are concerned about speeding and the volume of traffic in the E Johnson and E Gorham corridor, and by extension, making the bus system a mutli-modal system that is reliable and cheap so that more people ride the bus or find other ways to move through the Isthmus. The neighborhood also is concerned that their brand new neighborhood plan is already being challenged and they are struggling with either amending their neighbohrood plan or making an exception to it.

7. Contact info for campaign: Brenda Konkel, 345-8720, brendakonkel@gmail.com. 511 E Mifflin St, Madison, WI 53703.

Here's a list of my endorsements on Feb. 1 - however, it changes every day and you can find additional endorsements at brendakonkel.org
Organizational Endorsements
AFSCME/ Wisconsin People Conference
Progressive Dane
South Central Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO

Current and Former Elected Officials
County Board Supervisor Carousel Bayrd
former Alderperson Judy Bowser
former School Board Member Carol Carstensen
County Board Supervisor Chuck Erickson
former Alderperson Ken Golden
Alderperson Tim Gruber
County Board Supervisor John Hendrick
former School Board Member Bill Keys
former Alderperson Jean MacCubbin
County Board Supervisor Al Matano
County Board Chair Scott McDonell
School Board Member Beth Moss
School Board Member Marj Passman
Assemblyperson Mark Pocan
Alderperson Marsha Rummel
School Board President Arlene Silveira
County Board Supervisor Barbara Vedder
Alderperson Mike Verveer
Alderperson Robbie Webber
former Alderperson Bert Zipperer
District 2 Residents
Crystel Anders
Anne Arnesen
Donna Asif
John Bell
Margaret Bergamini
Jonathan Bedford
Eric Bertun
Rob Bloch
Beth Boeing
Mary Botari
Adam Breihan
Erik Breilid
Joe Brogan
Dillan Byrne
Michael Donnelly
Susan Duren
Dolores Emspak
Frank Emspak
Philip Frank
Mitch Freund
Miriam Hall
Ilse Hecht
Rudy Hecht
Caroline Hoffman
Bob Jacobson
Judy Karofsky
Dave Karpe
Martha Kilgour
Bob Klebba
Asher Langton
Callie Langton
Rob Latousek
Joe Lindstrom
Joe Lusson
Margaret MacMurray
Denise Matyka
Patrick McDonnell
Dave Merritt
Diane Milligan
Sonja Moskalik
Pete Nowicki
Tim Olson
Sandi Park
Erik Paulson
Assembly member Mark Pocan
Jeff Rambart
Harry Richardson
Dan Roberts
Paul Romlow
Jim Roper
Tobi Silgman
Barbara Smith
Jay Solwold
Jason Standish
Aleen Tierney
Sandy Ward
David Waugh
Carol Weidel
Bill Whitford
Cheryl Wittke
Angela Woodward
Community Endorsements
Mary Anglim
Michael Basford
Nick Berigan
James Boll
Ginny Bormann
Jim Cavanaugh
Lukas Diaz
Esty Dinur
Larry Dooley
Fae Dremock
Annette Eisman
Ryan Estrella
Marilyn Feil
Laurie Frank
Steve Herrick
Bob Holloway
Linda Keys
Jack Kloppenberg
Norm Littlejohn
John MacNamara
Ben Manski
Sarah Manski
TJ Mertz
Rudy Moore
Ramona Natera
Susan Pastor
Kristin Petroshius
Natasha Pierce
Rick Richards
Juscha Robinson
Karen Schmidt
Vicky Selkowe
Connie Smalley
Chuck Smalley
Gary Storck
Lisa Subeck
Ted Voth
Ledell Zellers
Dace Zeps

To which I received the response:

from Dave Samson <mppoapac@gmail.com>
to Brenda Konkel <brendakonkel@gmail.com>
date Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:44 PM
subject Re: Konkel MPPOA Answers
mailed-by gmail.com

Thank you for the response.

Dave

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 am

What percentage of Madison cops are in the MPPOA, I wonder? I'm just curious to what extent the endorsement represents the opinions of rank and file MPD officers.

I take it membership is optional.

thewheel
Forum Addict

Postby thewheel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 am

Walter wrote:So my question is: are you generally not supportive of law enforcement or do you not understand how the department and planning process works?

Or are you generally supportive of law enforcment and believe in accountability, information and honest answers?

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:40 am

Walter wrote:
Brenda Konkel wrote:I just don't blindly vote for things I can find out about "tomorrow" after I vote (Tomorrow in that case was 7 or 8 months later). When you pay money for a study, it makes sense to find out what it says before you act. And its not inappropriate to ask for information before you vote and actually get answers.

Facts are relevent and I stand by my statement. I would like to know when you have voted for any proposal involving police staffing, budget, or equipment as it was proposed.

Are the police supporting Maniaci for council because she will vote for police proposals as they are proposed, no questions asked? Will she be more of a "team player" and go with the flow and just support everything proposed by the police as compared to Konkel? No asking for study results? No justification on large staffing increases? No accountability?

If so, then I completely understand why they support Maniaci.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”