New Metro plan: No holidays and scaled back Sundays

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

New Metro plan: No holidays and scaled back Sundays

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:41 pm

A Metro memo says if the TPC and Council refuse to raise rates, they propose the following cuts in service:

• Sunday service cut from 16 to 8 hours per day = $440,000 - Reduction of 10,000 hours of service on 21 routes

• Elimination of 5 drivers

• Eliminate service on all major holidays = $175,000 -Reduction of 2,000 hours of service on 21 routes

• Eliminate new services = $150,000

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Metro plan: No holidays and scaled back Sundays

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:06 pm

How did you get a hold of the memo? What was the date on it?
Metro can make threats to get action. I was willing to pay more for my monthly pass, because I can do odd jobs. Let's do something to help the less fortunate. If they do cut service, on Sundays, I'd have to cab to work, which could come close to a car payment, depending. $55 to $60 is still cheaper than driving a car to work daily.

cheguevara

Postby cheguevara » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 am

jjoyce wrote:A Metro memo says if the TPC and Council refuse to raise rates, they propose the following cuts in service:

• Sunday service cut from 16 to 8 hours per day
• Eliminate service on all major holidays
• Eliminate new services

Are you surprised? Should anyone be surprised? When the TPC ignores fiscal realities by voting against a necessary fare increase, the only option left are service cuts.

You can't get blood from a turnip (unless it's called Uncle Sam these days).

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:56 am

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/431430

Didn't notice it there last night. Still not surprised. It looks to me like the first proposal was turned down, hoping for a compromise and nothing has happened.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 am

The TPC didn't ignore fiscal responsibilities. They made several suggestions which the staff, likely at the Mayor's direction, are not proposing. And apparently TPC can't direct staff to do anything related to the budget - which puts them in a silly position. There are alternatives that were talked about at the meeting. And of course, that I have blogged about . . . http://brendakonkel.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... tting.html

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 am

The worst part about this situation is that it created a false conflict between the new manager (Kamp) and the TPC. Even if there is goodwill remaining between the two, it is clear that he can't make any decisions and is caught as a tool of the entrenched bureaucracy and the Mayor's office.This is a shame because he came to town with great hope at building a new (much needed) regional system. To do that requires a lot of stakeholders who don't trust Madison to begin with and will trust a manager who is seen as the Mayor's puppet even less.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:17 pm

TAX THE RICH

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Could(or should) some of this stimulus earmarked for hybrid buses be better spent?

http://www.channel3000.com/goinggreen/1 ... etail.html

anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby anyportinastorm » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:19 pm

I ride the bus as much as I can. Thankfully, I live right off a couple of the main routes and would support a rate increase if they expanded the service. But in the last couple of years I have seen a decrease in one of the most basic service---the ability to keep the buses running on schedule. I often would be on the bus at the East Transfer site watching the Metro drivers have a smoke break with each other and leave 4-5 minutes later then the appointed time. The drivers don't seem to care when they leave and with the buses being outfitted with GPS technology Metro must know they are behind schedule. Maybe its not such a big thing--but standing outside during the winter for an additional ten minutes waiting for a late bus seems like an eternity--not to mention the inconvience of not knowing when to go wait for the bus so you're not late for school, work or to make a transfer...i.e. should you go wait a half hour ealier than you need to just to cover Metro's inability to run a bus schedule.

observer

Postby observer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:00 pm

God forbid that Madison would make the bus system more rider friendly. If Madison Metro would be more rider friendly then ridership would go up and no need to raise fares and reduce routes. There are major cities that cover more ground with their bus service than Mad. Metro does and is cheaper.

Security is another issue with MM. MM should do what other cities do, if someone causes a problem on the bus, just throw them off. After this happens a few times, trouble makers with get the message that disruptive and bad behavior will not be tolerated.

Employers should also consider giving employees bus passes and this would also increase ridership.

Increasing fares and decreasing service will only make things worse--this has happened before.

I am all for commuter rail--I think it is great, but Madison can't get a simple bus system right, how can Madison make commuter rail work?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:10 pm

observer wrote:Employers should also consider giving employees bus passes and this would also increase ridership.

UW Madison does

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:A Metro memo says if the TPC and Council refuse to raise rates, they propose the following cuts in service:

• Sunday service cut from 16 to 8 hours per day = $440,000 - Reduction of 10,000 hours of service on 21 routes

• Eliminate service on all major holidays = $175,000 -Reduction of 2,000 hours of service on 21 routes

• Eliminate new services = $150,000

Do these cost saving figures account for the lost revenue from the cutbacks or are they merely the straight labor/fuel/maintenance figures?

Here's an idea to raise revenue, install soda, snack and newspaper vending machines on the buses.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:42 pm

observer wrote:There are major cities that cover more ground with their bus service than Mad. Metro does and is cheaper.

Much larger cities with the center of town located between two lakes in a place with weather that goes from -20 degrees to 100+ degrees? Or one's with better weather and laid out on a grid?

Comparing the situation in Madison to other cities never makes a lot of sense to me. Often the cities pointed to as examples of "how it's done" have all kinds of things going for them that Madison will never have. The biggest problems here are the weather and the lakes. We can't do anything about either of them. And Madison didn't grow around an existing transit system like Chicago or Boston.

I'm not picking on you. I had the same problem with the trolley idea when everyone wanted to point to Portland or some other place that's really nothing like Madison.

For some reason I can see commuter rail working better then bus service. Maybe because it doesn't have to serve the "micro" routes that a good bus service does.

It's gonna cost money to make anything work, and I'm not sure people have the stomach for that right now.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:55 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Here's an idea to raise revenue, install soda, snack and newspaper vending machines on the buses.
Sure, and then fine riders for eating and drinking on the bus. There's a $hort feedback cycle! And perhaps we could require riders to wear full-wrap advertising burkhas!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14 pm

There's too many adults and teens who trash the bus with food and drink.

I wonder if it would be cost effective to fine more slippery sidewalks, parking and traffic violators?

I still like the idea of advertising on bus shelters, benches, parking ramps, the top inside of buses (where you see all the rider info.-rules) and half-wraps. I hate the wrap windows! It's like riding a very dirty bus, with a clean spot in front!

Return to “Local Politics & Government”