Bike Parking Overstated quote

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
El Chifa

Postby El Chifa » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:54 am

Troy Thiel wrote:Robbie et al,

p.s. for those who park at the library..do you find that type of rack effective? again, sometimes "code" and "good enough" aren't always the same thing...sometimes code isn't good enough...sometimes it's too restrictive

Which library? The central branch? I am a big fan of those bike racks, as they allow effective locking techniques for u-locks, cables, or combinations. Plus they keep bikes separate, and they create a minimal footprint on the sidewalk. The loop racks are my next favorite. Absolute bottom of the list is the fence rack, which discourages me from parking my bike at the rack.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:50 am

robbie webber wrote:I also just got back from the Pinney branch. The racks are not quite as I remembered them. They are worse.

You need a new hobby or maybe a new action item in your life.

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:24 pm

juanton wrote:
robbie webber wrote:I also just got back from the Pinney branch. The racks are not quite as I remembered them. They are worse.

Wow. I get ripped for not having checked the situation recently enough. Then I go for a very nice ride around Lake Monona, and stop off at the library to make sure I hadn't misspoken, and now I get ripped for making sure I was correct.

The ride was great. The flack for my ground truthing my statement, not so much.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:33 pm

robbie webber wrote:
juanton wrote:

Wow. I get ripped for not having checked the situation recently enough. Then I go for a very nice ride around Lake Monona, and stop off at the library to make sure I hadn't misspoken, and now I get ripped for making sure I was correct.

The ride was great. The flack for my ground truthing my statement, not so much.

What was way worse about the situation? When I went past early in the evening both racks were filled and the bikes facing the correct way. What is way worse about that?

entretanto

Postby entretanto » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:57 am

Hey juanton just be glad we have elected leaders who in their infinite wisdom know what's best for us.
Sheesh!!!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:19 am

I still think it is up to the bike rider to have a lock that works on as many things as possible, instead of up to the city to mandate bike racks designed for certain kinds of locks.

Just sayin'.

Do I get to be a libertarian now?

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 am

entretanto wrote:Hey juanton just be glad we have elected leaders who in their infinite wisdom know what's best for us.
Sheesh!!!

I am stating that the racks didn't meet city code, and were installed such that they cannot be used as specified by the manufacturer. Pretty simple concepts, I would think.

If you bought a shelving unit to store your CDs, and then found out after assembly that the only way you could do that was to stack on top of each other, instead of putting them on the shelves like books, perhaps you would think there was a problem with the design. Yes, the shelves are still "usable," but I would think you would say, "But not as most people expect a CD storage unit to work."

Bicyclists will often lock their bikes to almost anything in an effort to secure their transportation - parking meters, trees, sign posts, etc. This doesn't mean these items are properly designed bike racks.

I will try to get the city Pedestrian-Bicycle Coordinator to come on and explain how the bicycle racks codes were developed, since he feels pretty passionately about them. (We have our disagreements about what is an acceptable rack. I tend to have a more flexible definition than he does.)

The city's code follows that developed by the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (mostly urban designers and engineers around the country), so they are considered pretty standard. The racks at the Pinney Hawthorn branches of the library do not meeet these national codes either. Fitchburg is also adopting an even stricter set of standards, and in fact is recommending getting rid of many racks that I feel are fine.

Getting back to the original intent of the article, I think that the city should be following the same rules and codes that it sets out for other property owners. When we don't have racks that meet our own code, it doesn't seem right.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:25 pm

snoqueen wrote:I still think it is up to the bike rider to have a lock that works on as many things as possible, instead of up to the city to mandate bike racks designed for certain kinds of locks.

U-locks have become fairly ubiquitous. Heck, I think they were 11 years ago when I started at the UW. Popular because they can't be cut with bolt cutters. Not exactly a niche product...

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:44 pm

lukpac wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I still think it is up to the bike rider to have a lock that works on as many things as possible, instead of up to the city to mandate bike racks designed for certain kinds of locks.

U-locks have become fairly ubiquitous. Heck, I think they were 11 years ago when I started at the UW. Popular because they can't be cut with bolt cutters. Not exactly a niche product...

U-locks have been the standard for at least 25 years. For bike racks, it's important both that they work with U-locks and that they don't support the bike via a wheel, as in the old-style racks. (It makes the wheel very prone to damage.) In this regard, U-shaped racks are ideal, but there are a number of others that work well.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:12 pm

lukpac wrote:

Bolt cutter, maybe not, a well placed blow with a hammer can open the U-lock. A cop showed me that trick.

bikenbrew

Usable bicycle racks

Postby bikenbrew » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 pm

If you need to see an example of proper bicycle racks that offer considerable flexibility for locking method, check out the ones at MATC, either downtown (Wisconsin Avenue side of building) or Truax (outside the cafeteria). The inverted "U" is by far the best (and simplest) design. Why install anything else?

Don't even get me started about those horrible things outside the municipal building.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:30 pm

juanton wrote:You need a new hobby or maybe a new action item in your life.

This is a hilarious phrase and I plan to implement it into my workflow by then end of 08Q2.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:49 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
juanton wrote:You need a new hobby or maybe a new action item in your life.

This is a hilarious phrase and I plan to implement it into my workflow by then end of 08Q2.

You better hurry, there's not much time left. My internal infrastructure has no room for such scope creep. I am sticking with my current action items, as defined in my personal charter.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Many new action items can be found and subsequently implemented in one's "stuff cloud".

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:49 pm

Jattpw wrote:This whole story is whacked!

Have you ever seen anyone carrying golf clubs on a bike? Have you ever seen or heard of anyone biking to go play golf?

Yes. I've seen one gentleman ride with a special golf-bag trailer to the Odana hills course.

I don't know about other courses, but Odana Hills also has a playground and tennis courts, which are destinations one might bike to.

But I take your point - in general, golf is for lame-os who are afraid of breaking a sweat.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”