Elected City officials midterm report card

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

The City government is:

Poll ended at Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:01 am

Totally off the wall liberal wackos
23%
About what I expected
54%
More conservative than I anticipated
23%

Total votes: 13

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:52 am

Mr. Hobbs,

You're being a bit ungenerous. A "C" grade to me means a caretaker mayor. Reasonably competent, the streets getting fixed, the buses running, but unwilling to lead towards anything or spend any political capital to get anything done. I think that just by virtue of having a vision for the city and being willing to take his lumps from certain quarters on the way to getting us there, the mayor deserves better than a C. Can't we give him a B?

I agree that the hard part of IZ is still ahead, and that developers are key to that. I would debate whether "the most innovative housing ideas aren't coming from the city, but from the developers." Clearly developers have expertise in this subject and are the ones who'll actually be building it. On the other hand, when they (ie, the market) have been left to their/its own devices, we haven't made much progress on affordability and it's requiring the city to come up with ordinances/incentives/trust funds to get us there. Where it not for the city - meaning people like Dave and Brenda, and initiatives like IZ, Location-efficient mortgages, the Affordable Housing Trust Fund, etc - it's doubtful the issue would be front and center in developer's minds. They've proven that they can do quite well for themselves without worrying people of modest income.

So, in my view, the solutions and progress require the involvement of both developers and the city.

I agree with your point about "the absence of any decent conservatives to govern from the opposition." Even though they would be a more formidable opposition, they would make the process and the debate better, and force progressives to think hard and creativel y about their initiatives. Regardless of ideology, people can get lazy.

roguequijote
Forum Addict

Postby roguequijote » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:57 am

Mr. Hobbs, you criticize me (not my reasoning) for carrying your argument to a conclusion that I thought was logically inevitable. Rather than pointing out flaws in my interpretation, you respond by trying to charecterize me rather than answering my argument (and your guesses were pretty far off the mark).

Voters may toss someone out of office, but they do not demand that office holders roll back counterproductive policies that happen to be wildly popular. I went overboard in providing examples, and for that I apologize, but I have yet to see evidence or argument to the contrary.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:08 pm

I know the mayor is doing a good job when I hear slum-lord developers/owners, the WMC, and their ilk whining about anything.

Green

Postby Green » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:52 pm

I think the mayor is doing well! He is funny and sort of cute. He reminds me of my favorite uncle back when I was a kid.

I don't know about all the alders but I am glad they passed that thingee against fertilizer making our lakes more icky. Good job.

Hey, one other thing. has any one else noticed alder and elder are only one letter different. The indians and chinese people used to have their old people run the government. Is this the same idea? If it is, I don't like it! Some young people are really smart and should be part of making decisions.

And now what you all have been waiting for .......................................................
.... :mrgreen: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< So Cute!

Return to “Local Politics & Government”