Are local greens even green or are they purple?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Are the Greens green or just purple with green trim?

Yes, they are green just look at their voting record
16%
No, others are doing more to save the environment
42%
"It's not easy being green, you blend in with so many other ordinary things." Kermit the Frog
42%

Total votes: 19

Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Are local greens even green or are they purple?

Postby Suoiragerg » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:09 pm

The Green Party began as the party that was dedicated to saving and improving our environment. On another page someone listed current and recent Greens and these are not people that have led the effort to improve our environment.

Falk has done much more than any Green with her land conservation efforts and watershed clean up activities on the Countyside. Dave is the one pushing for building new parks. Olsen a Democrat on the Countyside began the push against phosphorous and Markle is pushing it in the City.

I could be missing something. Does the Green party even come out with positon papers or advocacy positions on the local environment? What are they pushing for that is actually green?

Dodge
Forum Addict

Kathleen "4-Lane Falk"???

Postby Dodge » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:38 pm

environmentalist? hah!

You been up Highway 12 anytime recently? You seen what she's doing for the development interests, roadbuilders, etc, and to the Wisconsin River, the Baraboo Range, a couple of farmers, and what used to be the most beautiful country drive in Wisconsin?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:38 pm

Dodge, you mean U.S. Highway 12, that is being rebuilt under a state contract?

Dodge
Forum Addict

yes. that highway.

Postby Dodge » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:38 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Dodge, you mean U.S. Highway 12, that is being rebuilt under a state contract?

Yup. Highway 12, which for forty years the Dane County Executive and/or Board, depending, and at times, Sauke County officials, managed to protect from the DOT's designs on it.

Falk ran on a "no-expansion" pledge - not just a promise, it was won of her main issues. She got elected. Months later, walah (how do you spell that anyway?) - she announced that she'd secretly cut a deal and was dropping opposition to the expansion. Bring back Rich Phelps.

True Blue
Forum God/Goddess

Postby True Blue » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:12 pm

Falk has been raked over the coals for that for years. You focus on that one thing and ignore everythign else she has done over her career? I wasn't happy with that, either, but to say Kathleen Falk, the former Public Intervenor, is not an environmentalist is just shrill partisanship.

As far as Hwy 12, she thought the project was going forward with her or without her. She put a deal in to get millions to buy and preserve land and try and thwart development. Maybe Ben Manski would have done a better job?
:lol:

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:34 pm

Dodge, it is spelled voila, French for there it is.

Dodge
Forum Addict

Postby Dodge » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:19 pm

True Blue wrote:Falk has been raked over the coals for that for years. You focus on that one thing and ignore everythign else she has done over her career? I wasn't happy with that, either, but to say Kathleen Falk, the former Public Intervenor, is not an environmentalist is just shrill partisanship.

As far as Hwy 12, she thought the project was going forward with her or without her. She put a deal in to get millions to buy and preserve land and try and thwart development. Maybe Ben Manski would have done a better job?
:lol:

Being appointed Public Intervenor doesn't make you a good one, and building a career around environmental issues does not make you Rachel Carson either. I'm not saying she's not an environmentalist. I am saying that this one thing was the most important environmental issue at the time in Dane County, and long had been. I'm also saying that I took it personally, having worked on that issue for years, and gotten to know many of the people directly affected. I also took it personally because I'm from here and she's not.

Rich Phelps didn't cut the deal behind closed doors. She did. She may have thought she needed to (for what reason I have no idea), but it was not a deal for her to cut alone. When social movements back politicians, and help them to office, the politicians are not there on their own. We were not electing Kathy Falk. We were electing the policies she promised to champion.

By the way, when Kathy ran for County Exec., I got all kinds of phone calls from angry environmentalist up north. The word from them was, "don't trust her," and, "she sold us out and cut a deal behind our backs on the Flambeau mine." I didn't listen to them. I figured it was just one (vital) issue and that people make mistakes. Now I think that I understand Falk better. She has a different view of representative government than do I.

As to development . . . just wait to see what develops along that highway. Welcome to the Chicago suburbs.

True Blue
Forum God/Goddess

Postby True Blue » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:38 pm

You make some good points on Hwy 12. Although, Rick Phelps was more inclined to fight as a rule. Falk doesn't seem to mix it up as much.

the key for what happens there is to affect the plans being develpoed by the towns and county.

But, she's been great on the environment otherwise.

Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Postby Suoiragerg » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:18 am

Going back to the innitial question. I want to get involved in helping the environment and understand that much of this has to happen with in the political realm. Who should I help? Who should I vote for? Should it always be a Green Party candidate? Should the elected official being a Green even matter if the Environment is my number one issue? Where can I find the local Greens positions on the local environment?

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:17 pm

Yeah, vote Green in 2004. It worked in 2000, just ask Bush.

Anonymous Lee

Green Party split

Postby Anonymous Lee » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:01 pm

I heard the Green Party may split. The real radicals in the party will for the "Reds." The more moderate want to appeal to partiotism and will be the "Blues."

:roll:

Dodge
Forum Addict

Re: Green Party split

Postby Dodge » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:48 pm

Anonymous Lee wrote:I heard the Green Party may split. The real radicals in the party will for the "Reds." The more moderate want to appeal to partiotism and will be the "Blues."

:roll:

What about those who are the radicals who want to appeal to patriotism. The purples, eh? Works for me!

Return to “Local Politics & Government”