Update on Naming of New School

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Re: Update on Naming of New School

Postby sydgrl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:37 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Arlene Silveira wrote:Last night at the Board meeting, we made some modifications to the policy for the naming of a new school...
On August 13 we'll talk about the possible involvement of a community-based naming committee in the process. Following that discussion, we should be ready to open up the process to accepting new name nominations.

Talk, talk, talk.
I am flabbergasted that it takes more than three meetings to even get to the point where you can begin to discuss nominating names!

I'm with Joyce - this is so exceedingly unimportant that the idea that intelligent adults with better things to do are wasting all this energy not just determining what to name a school, but what the process by which you can even begin to consider how to name a school... I just lost my train of thought because this whole thing is so damn stupid.

Problem Solved: From now on, there will be no discussion and no nominations. Here is a list of Wisconsin birds. Start at the top and work your way through. No discussion necessary. Yeeesh!

Hee. Seriously, I can't believe the amount of time spent on this issue. A community based naming committee? I can guarantee that this will only lead to wanking about who is or is not on the committee.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:51 pm

sydgrl wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Talk, talk, talk.
I am flabbergasted that it takes more than three meetings to even get to the point where you can begin to discuss nominating names!

I'm with Joyce - this is so exceedingly unimportant that the idea that intelligent adults with better things to do are wasting all this energy not just determining what to name a school, but what the process by which you can even begin to consider how to name a school... I just lost my train of thought because this whole thing is so damn stupid.
quote]

Hee. Seriously, I can't believe the amount of time spent on this issue. A community based naming committee? I can guarantee that this will only lead to wanking about who is or is not on the committee.

I recall a few years back that the Board took more than several weeks to decide what to do about a student's request for a restest (after finding out that everyone else in the class knew the teacher re-used tests).... at which time the school year had ended.

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:56 pm

Arlene Silveira wrote:Hi - Last night at the Board meeting, we made some modifications to the policy for the naming of a new school. Now a school can be named after any of the following:

A prominent national or local figure who is deceased (does not matter how long they have been deceased)

A locally significant geographic site

A place of local significance

An idea or concept which represents a broadly respected community value

On August 13 we'll talk about the possible involvement of a community-based naming committee in the process. Following that discussion, we should be ready to open up the process to accepting new name nominations.

Arlene Silveira

*Sounds good. (*retracting that)
A lot of people would like to know what the school naming guildlines and rules were before you made these changes. Also, including both "A locally significant geographic site" and "A place of local significance" seems a bit redundant. Why did you include all that but not include local flora & fauna as options? (eg., Badger, Sequoya, etc)

editing again because I remembered the saga of Johnny Ly wrong. I first wrote, "Did Johnny Ly ever return his diploma?, but suddenly remembered he left it with you and refused to take it back unless you named the school for VP. opps.
Last edited by missmadtown on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: Tufted Titmouse Elementary School. That's the ticket.

It can be paired with Hairy Woodpecker Elementary

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 pm

missmadtown wrote: I remembered the saga of Johnny Ly wrong. I first wrote, "Did Johnny Ly ever return his diploma?, but suddenly remembered he left it with you and refused to take it back unless you named the school for VP. opps.

Sounds like the school board owns another diploma. Maybe they can hang it up next to all their freak'in PhDs.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”