Legislature Rejects New UW & Wisconsin Union Buildings

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
HooferX
Forum Addict

Legislature Rejects New UW & Wisconsin Union Buildings

Postby HooferX » Fri May 25, 2007 2:28 pm

Oh, jeez! The Wisconsin State Legislature just slapped down the manipulators at the Wisconsin Union. These of course being those "in charge" who kept rejecting democratic election results among students until they got the "approval" for a huge incidental fee increase to finance this largesse.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=136389&ntpid=3

Those who fail to learn history are condemned to repeat it. This looks alot like 1920s state politics that delayed building Memorial Union. Far be it from me to suggest the Wisconsin Union's bureaucrats should study this history seriously and learn how smart visionaries used to get good things done without twisting university student elections through the use of what one can only describe as Political Action Committee (PAC) funds--several thousands of dollars in undisclosed campaign monies provided by the Memorial Union Building Association (MUBA).

http://www.hoofers.org/history/Early%20Union%20History.htm

Truly, I mean this with the deepest desire that Memorial Union receive necessary upgrades, preferably financed by Rathskellar beer sales, private donations and increasing Union Membership sales. Many things can be done immediately, like finally dropping the false and misleading term "Student Union" and restoring covered Stiftskellar murals and windows. But the entire concept and location of Union South is still a dog and will never succeed...see history linked above. Union South's land should be sold to make Memorial Union shine like a diamond.

Way to go Legislators! :)
Last edited by HooferX on Sat May 26, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 25, 2007 4:15 pm

I know your agenda on this, but this is just the latest example of the Republican Assembly's dismantling of the UW.

This funding will make its way back into the budget, either at the Joint Finance level or via Doyle's creative use of the line-item veto.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Fri May 25, 2007 11:16 pm

Trial on my Tresspass case for accepting ballot signatures behind the Union has been rescheduled for July 9th. I expect we'll actually go this time. The case has been transferred to Judge Martin.

Interesting that an institution which claims to be private wants the Taxpayers to underwrite its bonds.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Legislature Rejects "Student Union Initiative"

Postby bmasel » Sat May 26, 2007 4:23 am

Cool link, some snippets should be quite helpful in my case.

sailor jonathan

Postby sailor jonathan » Sat May 26, 2007 7:53 am

Let's get it straight here. The Joint Finance Committee did not reject the Student Union Initiative. They stripped bond funding for a number of things from the proposed state budget. "Student Union Initiative" was the name of the campaign to increase student segregated fees, and I cannot imagine that that the people behind the it will do the honest thing and roll back the fee increase should the bonding not happen. It's not in the bureaucratic mindset. Once they get their hands on your money, they consider it their money.

(The students down at the Union have learned these new "ethics" well and lately have taken to voting to give themselves money directly from the coffers. It's breath-taking.)

Still, it's nice to see somebody in the Legislature do the right thing, even if it's not for the reason you'd like.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”