What does being a sponsor of an ordinance or resolution mean

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

What does being a sponsor of an ordinance or resolution mean

Postby universitylad » Wed May 16, 2007 7:56 am

What does being a sponsor of an ordinance or resolution entail? At many city council meetings, various alders seem to ask to be added as sponsors at the last minute.

What meaning does it have? I would imagine that if they had worked on the item much, they would have been listed as a sponsor from the beginning. How is being listed a sponsor better or different that just being recorded as voting for the item?

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Wed May 16, 2007 8:36 am

:lol:

This has been the topic of discussion for months . . . and the issues are complex . . . and not yet resolved, but needless to say, often you may work on something and then at the last minute, a change is made, and you don't have time to say that you approve it and then your name gets dropped off . . . . neighborhood conservation districts and the bus pass pool come to mind . . . but there are several other examples of when this happens . . . .

Taxed
Forum Addict

Postby Taxed » Wed May 16, 2007 9:31 am

Or . . . you lay back until you see which way the political winds are going to blow on an issue. Then you add your name in the hope that you can get credit for having your name on legislation that did not appeal to your higher self until you had a feel for the measure’s popularity. Not that Brenda would ever to that.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed May 16, 2007 9:45 am

Seriously, have you ever seen BK do anything simply to be aligned with prevailing winds?

So I hope your last sentance was serious and not sarcastic. (Either way, though, it could have used some proof-reading).

I always interpreted co-sponsorship as a slightly higher order than simply voting for something -- that it was an item that, for personal or political reasons, you wanted to be able to say, "and I was a co-sponsor of the proposal to ...."

Some time in the mid-80's, when Ann Neviaser signed on to one of my resolutions at the County Board, she signed above my name, which to the Clerk's office meant she was prime sponsor. After I (politely, I thought) explained the protocol to her, Dan N. cornered me in the courthouse hallway and damn near threatened to knock my block off for disrespecting his wife. (Hand balled into fist, arm cocked back, the whole thing). Moral: Take co-sponsorships seriously, and don't mess with Ann Neviaser.

Taxed
Forum Addict

Postby Taxed » Wed May 16, 2007 10:15 am

Stu Levitan wrote:(Either way, though, it could have used some proof-reading). (Hand balled into fist, arm cocked back, the whole thing).
ditto my literary idol . . . unless the man somehow really managed to cock back the whole thing.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed May 16, 2007 10:49 am

No, you see, my post made sense. Yours did not.

And, as to the substance -- were you being serious or sarcastic regarding BK?

(But it is gratifying to learn I am one of your literary idols. How many of the 4,700 copies that we've sold did you buy? Happy to sign 'em all for ya!)

Taxed
Forum Addict

Postby Taxed » Wed May 16, 2007 11:13 am

Stu Levitan wrote:No, you see, my post made sense. Yours did not.
Give me a street address and I will ask my seven year old nephew to peddle over and explain it you. Read it again and tell me what you are having trouble with.

Stu Levitan wrote:And, as to the substance -- were you being serious or sarcastic regarding BK?
Yes. But right now I am just administering an office pool to pick the exact day of Brenda's final meltdown. I would be disqualified from the pool if I do or say anything to contribute that event.

Stu Levitan wrote:(But it is gratifying to learn I am one of your literary idols. How many of the 4,700 copies that we've sold did you buy? Happy to sign 'em all for ya!)
Only one, but I am considering more as gifts. Seriously interesting book. Are you going to attend the Lakes Conference this Friday? Good stuff for another book, focusing on our greatest area resource (other than Progressive Dane).

Korrigan
Forum Addict

Re: What does being a sponsor of an ordinance or resolution

Postby Korrigan » Wed May 16, 2007 7:54 pm

universitylad wrote:What does being a sponsor of an ordinance or resolution entail? At many city council meetings, various alders seem to ask to be added as sponsors at the last minute.

What meaning does it have? I would imagine that if they had worked on the item much, they would have been listed as a sponsor from the beginning. How is being listed a sponsor better or different that just being recorded as voting for the item?

The late and last-minute additions of sponsors to legislative proposals happens in the state legislature, too, and I presume it happens in Congress, although I don't know that for a fact. The dynamics appear to be similar in all arenas.

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Wed May 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote::lol:

This has been the topic of discussion for months . . . and the issues are complex . . . and not yet resolved, but needless to say, often you may work on something and then at the last minute, a change is made, and you don't have time to say that you approve it and then your name gets dropped off . . . . neighborhood conservation districts and the bus pass pool come to mind . . . but there are several other examples of when this happens . . . .

Does one have to have made a meaningful contribution to the development of the item?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”