Did Jeanne Hoffman get a job that she is not qualified for?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
bada_bingus
Forum Addict

Who needs qualifications when you have connections?

Postby bada_bingus » Thu May 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Two points I haven't seen yet in this thread:

-When Jeanne first joined the mayor's staff, she was given oversight on transportation, planning and development issues, a HUGE responsibility. Aside from her expertise in bike issues, and of course in getting Dave elected, she was hopelessly unqualified. For at least the first year, she was carried by staff and the positive spin of Melanie's press releases. Somehow, she got enough on the job training to finally begin doing the job. One could argue that she was less qualified for her first job with the city than for the one she's just been appointed (if one could put aside the bastardization of the hiring process).

-Larry Nelson, the city engineer who selected Jeanne, does a lot of things right, most notably his respect of the process and the people he's serving. BUT, don't forget that he was the one who's supported the city's most incompetent manager to remain at the Water Utility. Nelson's been supporting and covering up for Denig-Chakroff for years, well before the Utility's grave deficiencies became well known. So, despite Nelson's fine track record, he's not infallible when selecting managers.

Brenda got this one right and certainly doesn't deserve the crap dished out earlier in this thread. And, I'm certain that Dave will simply imitate Bush when supporting Gonzalez while Jeanne gets to work learning her new job.

om
Forum Addict

Postby om » Thu May 17, 2007 3:50 pm

I love this part of the article:
"Mayoral aide George Twigg says the pick was made by city engineer Larry Nelson without any input from the mayor’s office or any intent to curry favor.

'What Brenda’s accusing Larry of would be official misconduct,' says Twigg. 'She either needs to present evidence that it’s true or apologize to Larry.'"

Brenda could have simply responded to Twigg: "I don't take my marching orders from the mayor's toadie."

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Thu May 17, 2007 5:21 pm

In looking at Jeanne's application materials I noticed:

She made $8.00/hr at her first two jobs out of college. She then wrapped up at the Bike Fed, managing that whopper of a $150K budget, making $38K.

Then along comes the mayor's reward of a $70K+ salary for a job in which she wasn't qualified for in the first place.

Now She's making close to six figures in a position that requires construction knowledge, CAD design, HVAC...and a hell of a lot more that she's never had experience with.

Hey, I like green buildings too, does that make me qualified?

So she's managed 5 FTE's in her past. That's the extent of her management experience.

I'd say with the negative shit that constantly gets tossed at City Engineering over water, etc, this was a brilliant move for Larry who must be nearing retirment age at this point. Another term for Dave, hire Jeanne to keep things smooth with the mayor, and retire happily at the end of Dave's next term.

This is bullshit.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Did Jeanne Hoffman get a job that she is not qualified f

Postby bdog » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 am

Jeanne Hoffman - yeah that's her name.

Will bump this so it's easier to find next time I forget.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:13 am

A Walker crony thread reminded me of this.

Not sure if Mayor Dave's crony is still on the job, but I think the universal law is: ride out the storm for a relatively short period and people will get disinterested.

Not the SS though, I give them that.

God forgives, the SS doesn't.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:18 am

Yup, still there according to city website:

FACILITIES & SUSTAINABILITY
Manager, Jeanne Hoffman

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 am

That's interesting, but not surprising.

Trolley Dave should use that soap box blog of his and come clean.

Abdul

Postby Abdul » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Jeanne Hoffman is very qualified for her job and has been doing gret work for the City since she was hired. The programs she manages have saved the City hundreds of thousands of dollars in energy costs. She may have worked for Dave but she is no croney hire.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm

She may have done a great job but she was unabsolutely unqualified when she got the job.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:09 pm

bdog wrote:She may have done a great job but she was unabsolutely unqualified when she got the job.

That has been said about so many good people through the ages.

Yeah she really earned her salary and more but dammit, there were better qualified applicants who wouldn't have done as good a job.

Unabsolutely? Doesn't that mean not absolutely?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks for catching that, I meant absolutely.

As far as doing a good job, is that the criteria we should use to judge cronyism? If so we'll need to give the Walker cronies some time. If they do the job, then it's all good.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:43 pm

bdog wrote:Thanks for catching that, I meant absolutely.

As far as doing a good job, is that the criteria we should use to judge cronyism? If so we'll need to give the Walker cronies some time. If they do the job, then it's all good.

Uh.... yeah. Right.

You figure the first thing this woman did was start ripping out infrastructure and piss off half the people she worked with, then?

I think you have a hard time with the "leadership and ability are recognizable" concept. You're so pissed that her talent was recognized, and then proven, you have to dismiss it somehow.

I think unabsolutely was a Freudian slip.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Bullshit! People as unqualified as her don't get in the door unless they have help.

It's unfair to the other applicants but hey if you don't care about that, whatever. As long as it works out in the end, right?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:31 pm

bdog wrote:Bullshit! People as unqualified as her don't get in the door unless they have help.

It's unfair to the other applicants but hey if you don't care about that, whatever. As long as it works out in the end, right?

It's not unfair if the other applicants weren't right for the job AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHETHER THEY WERE OR NOT.

That's my final word on it. You'll have to keep bumping this one by yourself.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Bump

Return to “Local Politics & Government”