Liar, liar, pants on fire - Moss & Cole school board

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
cristobal
Forum Addict

Liar, liar, pants on fire - Moss & Cole school board

Postby cristobal » Fri May 04, 2007 10:00 am

Maya Cole is a liar, liar pants on fire. Beth Moss is a bit more wishy washy in her statement but I say she's one too. They said they would not close schools and then they voted to close Marquette.

Express your displeasure here: comments@madison.k12.wi.us

I will offer the concession that, perhaps, they were tired after a 6-hour school board meeting when they voted to close Marquette; maybe it got all confused with the other stuff; maybe they forgot their promises. They still have the opportunity to reverse their mistaken votes.

Lying to get elected is nothing new, I guess but this seems so obviously egregious and at such a specific and local level, it's really offensive.

I specifically voted for these folks BECAUSE of the statements they made below which really disgusts me.

Without being rude, it's hard to express but this behavior sets a new low for character, honesty and integrity.

Prior to the recent school board election, Maya Cole sent this email to alder Rummel:

Marsha,

I know it may be crazy for you right now (it is for me) but I am wondering if you could post/send this statement to your neighborhood association?

There has been some confusion in my response to you and others regarding Rainwater's cuts to the budget. I have clearly stated that I will not vote to close schools on my campaign website but somehow it didn't get across to the public.

I would like to be clear that this issue has always been near and dear to me. We need to keep all neighborhood schools open.

Thank you (if you can do this - much appreciated.)

Maya

She has subsequently voted to close Marquette. How low can you go?

Beth Moss wrote:

Hi Marsha,

I hope this helps-

Like many people in Madison I want to live in a community where children can walk or bike to school. I am a strong proponent of neighborhood schools, and I believe that neighborhood schools enhance parent and community involvement, school climate and other factors that lead to higher achievement. I also understand how hard it is on families to watch their school close. I love that families and neighbors fight hard to keep their schools open. The closing of any school would be a difficult choice for me to make and would only come as a very, very last resort. At this time, I do not think that the plan to consolidate schools is the best place to save money. The savings do not appear to warrant the disruption to such a large number of children and families. I also worry about the potential for overcrowding at O'Keefe and Blackhawk within the next 5 years.

Given the current budget crisis, the board is faced with a no-win situation. I am also against the proposed increase in class sizes at the elementary level. Small classes contribute directly to future student success. After talking to parents and staff all over the district, everyone agrees that small classes for k-3 are absolutely vital.

If you have any more questions, please let me know-

Beth

So a bit more wishy washy but a last resort? I mean there was NOTHING else that could be done?

Lame.

seashells

Maya Cole

Postby seashells » Fri May 04, 2007 11:31 am

I, too, voted for Ms. Cole specifically because she vowed not to close Marquette. Recall?!

From Maya Cole's campaign page: If I elected, I promise I will:

"Support neighborhood schools, and I will not vote to close any school in the District as they are vital to their community and to the city’s growth plans."

WTF Maya?

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Fri May 04, 2007 12:40 pm

I hope those two enjoy their one term in office. People aren't going to forget this.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri May 04, 2007 12:57 pm

How many kids live on the isthmus these days? That's right, very few in proportion to other areas of the district.

Big deal, the near east side is standing around with it's arms crossed and pouting while the rest of the city wants to move forward. Grow up and get used to a life based in financial reality, the rest of us are sick and tired of your pathetic tirades.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri May 04, 2007 12:57 pm

mifflander wrote:I hope those two enjoy their one term in office. People aren't going to forget this.

Do you even have kids?

magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Fri May 04, 2007 1:00 pm

While I sympathize with the sentiment here, and it is your right to be angry, I call NIMBY.

Madison liberals often talk about equity and community responsibility in school policy -- with the notable exception of when it comes to their own kid. It is that shameful part of Madison school politics that we seem powerless to confront. All kids deserve a great school, unless it means my kid gets moved out of honors classes.

Under current state funding arrangements, nothing is sacrosanct. And, as I understand, demographics on the isthmus and near east side will not support schools cheaply in the near future, yet Marquette neighborhoods want to perpetuate what amounts to an increasingly inefficient and inequitable arrangement going forward.

I do not discount the frustration and sense of loss, but we need to be clear about where this loss comes from - and I'll put forward that Beth Moss and Maya Cole are simply easy scapegoats for anger that is best placed elsewhere. In education, Progressives are being placed into situations where we "eat our own" - and we are gladly obliging.

We know there are limited amounts of goodies to go around in school finance these days. If the pain doesn't hit you, it will hit others. (But, of course, anything that happens to Lindbergh is their problem. As evidenced - the sign campaign was to only keep "Marquette" Schools open.)

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Fri May 04, 2007 1:07 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
mifflander wrote:I hope those two enjoy their one term in office. People aren't going to forget this.

Do you even have kids?

One in Lapham and one in Marquette. Not that it's any of your fucking business.

And saying there are less kids on the isthmus as opposed to elswhere in the city just proves how fucking clueless you are.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri May 04, 2007 1:13 pm

mifflander wrote:And saying there are less kids on the isthmus as opposed to elswhere in the city just proves how fucking clueless you are.

Show me the stats yuppie.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Fri May 04, 2007 1:20 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
mifflander wrote:And saying there are less kids on the isthmus as opposed to elswhere in the city just proves how fucking clueless you are.

Show me the stats yuppie.

And why don't you provide some proof backing up your initial claim?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Don't let the truth get in the way of your heated emotions.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Fri May 04, 2007 1:31 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:Image

Don't let the truth get in the way of your heated emotions.

It never stops you, does it?

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Maya Cole

Postby lukpac » Fri May 04, 2007 1:37 pm

seashells wrote:I, too, voted for Ms. Cole specifically because she vowed not to close Marquette. Recall?!

From Maya Cole's campaign page: If I elected, I promise I will:

"Support neighborhood schools, and I will not vote to close any school in the District as they are vital to their community and to the city’s growth plans."

WTF Maya?

Anyone talk to either Cole or Moss yet?

I think it's a complicated issue, one which I don't feel strongly about either way. That said, it is pretty disheartening that Cole did a total 180 on the issue, especially when she seemed to get a lot of her support because of that very issue.

Moss's statements aren't exactly great either. Although I'm not sure if her election hinged on them quite so much.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri May 04, 2007 1:48 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:Do you even have kids?

Moot question to go with your moot existence.

Are you suggesting that only those with young children benefit from public education?

YOU. STUPID. FUCK.

p.s. Nice graphic. I'll be sure check it out when you can figure out how to shrink it to a size that doesn't totally hork this thread, jackass. I won't hold my breath given your demonstrated level of aptitude.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri May 04, 2007 2:03 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Are you suggesting

No stupid, I am not. I said what I said.

It is a fact; the family demographic is shifting outward and westward. It is a fact that childless couples are increasing on the isthmus, 55+, and so is the 18-28 demographic.

Ouch, the truth hurts!

Lolla-Lee-Lou

Postby Lolla-Lee-Lou » Fri May 04, 2007 4:23 pm

The official enrollment for Lapham-Marquette this school year is 463. Since 1991 when Lapham was re-opened, the highest enrollment was 511 in 1996. Since 2000, the enrollment has fluctuated between 428 and 463...pretty much up and down each year, with no clear trend either way....although the last two years it has gone up, probably because there are a fairly high number of open enrollment requests to Lapham-Marquette because the schools have a favorable demographic. There is significantly less poverty than anywhere else in the East attendance area.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”