PD Co-Chair Jumps Ship

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:10 pm

Well, as you know better than most, PD's leading lights are utterly incapable of concision and are badly in need of an editor.

That alone could have hoisted Zipperer into the 20's.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:19 pm

Daisy wrote:Well, as you know better than most, PD's leading lights are utterly incapable of concision and are badly in need of an editor.

That alone could have hoisted Zipperer into the 20's.

Oh, don't be coy. This whole story was manufactured by the whomever anonymously sent a private internal email to the press. And now you're spinning it (by omission) to be a "kiss-off". Truth be told, Lisa was at the Progressive Dane General Membership Meeting on Wednesday, I saw her and talked with her at two different meetings yesterday and just got off the phone with her now.

The resignation letter was sent on Monday . . .

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:24 pm

If only there was somebody out there who had access to the email who could cut-and-paste it here in toto.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:34 pm

nevermore wrote:If only there was somebody out there who had access to the email who could cut-and-paste it here in toto.
Hereya go. (Forwarding headers omitted to protect the guilty.)

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Resignation
To: pdsteering@prodane.org

Hi all,

As you probably know by now, you will be electing a new co-chair at the May meeting because I am not interested in continuing in this role. A while back, Brenda asked me if I would be continuing on the Steering Committee or leaving that role, too. At that time, I hadn't given it much thought and had planned to continue on SC.

The question made me reflect a bit on what role I actually want to have in Progressive Dane, and I have decided that I will also be leaving the Steering Committee. I appreciate the opportunity to have worked with you all in this capacity over the last couple of years. However, I have come to realize that SC is not where my interests really lie and is not a good match for me.

I'm also finding that, as so often happens to folks in Progressive Dane, I spread my time and energy too thin. Brenda pointed out that I have made it to very few SC meetings in recent months, and she is correct. Some I missed for personal reasons, some because I decided something else took priority, and at least one because I was just plain burnt out and couldn't seem to get myself there. One month, I missed SC to spend time with my best friend who was hospitalized in critical condition after having a stroke. When I told one SC member why I couldn't make it to the meeting, she reacted by telling me that then we wouldn't have quorum so she hoped I'd come. I am reasonably sure this was the start of the downward spiral in my attitude toward being active in PD. As the SC is clearly not a priority for me right now, I'm certain the party will be better served by someone who can give a little more.

Frankly, my decision is also in part out of frustration with Progressive Dane and the direction (or lack of direction) in which the party is going. We spend more and more time talking and less and less time following through on the things we discuss. As a member of the SC and party co-chair, I feel I couldn't even begin to accurately articulate what we are actually working on. I don't think that's because of my ignorance but instead because of the party's lack of direction.

I have also grown increasingly frustrated by the lack of individual identity I seem to have since becoming so involved with the party. It sometimes seems that I can't speak without what I say being attributed to Progressive Dane and vice-versa. Rarely does anyone speak to me about anything even remotely politically oriented without asking me what Brenda and I or what PD thinks about it. Sometimes I really do want to just scream that I have my own opinions and do my own activities and than I'm not part of a package. I find that I don't particularly enjoy being a poster-child for PD, nor do I like having everything said by Brenda or a few other PD-related folks define my thoughts in the minds of others.

I guess that I'm not necessarily totally attached to the third-party concept either. I was driven to Progressive Dane because of the great policy and electoral work we do locally, but I don't think that necessarily entirely discounts the work that others do. It seems that far too often, our drive to beat the other guys gets in the way our actually moving forward and accomplishing something. In total contradiction, at other times we choose not to do what's right because we are afraid of losing or afraid of negative publicity. On the whole, we don't play well with others.

Too often, we try to claim holier than thou status but then do things that are every bit as petty or silly or wrong as what we are supposedly fighting. I realize that you all may not agree with me, but it seems that when others behave badly, we respond either by whining about it or by behaving equally badly in a slightly different way. Fighting back can be a good thing but not when it's done in a way that's simply petty or screams out "I told you so!"

When I first joined the Steering Committee, I envisioned the group as actual party leadership. I think that really was the case, at least to some extent, a couple of years ago. Things have definitely changed though, as it's hard to lead when not striving for anything in particular. My own vision of where to lead PD appears not to mesh well with others on SC.

Though I could probably go on about my frustration and with attempts at an explanation, I realize I'm rambling a bit and will leave it at that. Despite the fact that I'm expressing a lot of frustration, I am not leaving angry or upset. I just don't think I'm the right person to give the party what it needs in the roles I've been filling.

I wanted to let you know of my decision before Wednesday's GMM so that you have the option to start recruiting a new SC member at that time.

Thanks again for the opportunity to work with all of you in this role.

--Lisa

piltdown

Postby piltdown » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:36 pm

nevermore wrote:If only there was somebody out there who had access to the email who could cut-and-paste it here in toto.

Well put.

Manufacture the crisis and the sit back and comment upon it.

Who, oh, who could do such a thing?

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:52 pm

piltdown wrote:Who, oh, who could do such a thing?
Good question. Look at the steering cmte roster and try to draw a map to the WSJ newsroom. My guess is it's circuitous.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:58 pm

Daisy wrote:Good question. Look at the steering cmte roster and try to draw a map to the WSJ newsroom. My guess is it's circuitous.

I'm not sure if that list is necessarily limited to current SC members.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:05 pm

I'm waiting with baited breath for Brenda's furious blogging on the matter. Despite public protestations about its insignificance to downplay it (talk about your "spin"...like she doesn't comment at Tolstoy-esque length about much more esoteric and uninteresting subjects), if I know anything at all about the alarmist tendencies of the gentle lady from the 2nd, the veins in her temples have been close to busting over the past 24 hours.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:20 pm

Daisy wrote:I'm waiting with baited breath for Brenda's furious blogging on the matter. Despite public protestations about its insignificance to downplay it (talk about your "spin"...like she doesn't comment at Tolstoy-esque length about much more esoteric and uninteresting subjects), if I know anything at all about the alarmist tendencies of the gentle lady from the 2nd, the veins in her temples have been close to busting over the past 24 hours.

Dude - If I blogged everytime the WSJ got something wrong about PD . . . well, I'd do nothing else. They have an unhealthy obsession not worthy of responding to. And I don't think Lisa Subeck resigning as co-chair is any different than any of the other co-chairs who have resigned in the last 8 or 9 years that I've been involved including (I hope I haven't forgotten anyone!): David Austin, Beth Harper, Tom Running, John MacNamara, Stephanie Rearick, Nick Berigan, Mary Anglim, Lisa Subeck and myself 2 to 4 times. These are 6 months terms and we rotate the position when we can convince someone else to do it.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:03 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:Nothing to see here...keep moving along...this happens all the time....nothing to see here...
Of course, dear. :lol:

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Daisy wrote:
Brenda Konkel wrote:Nothing to see here...keep moving along...this happens all the time....nothing to see here...
Of course, dear. :lol:

Shit, I'm sure one or two of my resignation letter would have been far more inflamatory . . . and I think at least one of them was much more succinct - four words was all it took.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:52 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:four words was all it took.
Damn, now the mind is boggling at the possibilities....

"Fuck off, I quit!"
"I hate you all!"
"Vicky Selkowe is insufferable."
"Lick my hairy pits!"

...and the dark horse:
"Joining forces with Zach."

Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 pm

BobArctor wrote:I didn't get to the punch line....

The committee resigned from PD to pursue larger than County goals. The members of the committee that were PD members, did not resign PD.

But, if a tree falls on a Libertarian Party meeting, does anyone hear it?

I guess it depends if you are in a state where Libertarians are trying to take over, like how PD's are trying to take over here by moving in from out of state....

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Those devilishly well-coordinated hippies...

Postby Marvell » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:13 pm

Darthcrank wrote:
BobArctor wrote:I didn't get to the punch line....

The committee resigned from PD to pursue larger than County goals. The members of the committee that were PD members, did not resign PD.

But, if a tree falls on a Libertarian Party meeting, does anyone hear it?

I guess it depends if you are in a state where Libertarians are trying to take over, like how PD's are trying to take over here by moving in from out of state....

Please tell me this was supposed to be a joke.

Is it really your contention that there's a coordinated strategy, hatched by Madison Progressive Dane, to 'take over' Madison by importing hippies?

Wow - guess that well 16 water's some fast-acting shit...

awestra
Forum Addict

Postby awestra » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:29 pm

Darthcrank wrote:
.. like how PD's are trying to take over here by moving in from out of state....

I thought that last AM radio talking point was that we were EXPORTING PD members to other communities and states to take over.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”