PD Co-Chair Jumps Ship

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

PD Co-Chair Jumps Ship

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:48 pm

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:08 pm

Jeez, an entire committee resigned last year from PD. That wasn't news.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:17 pm

BobArctor wrote:Jeez, an entire committee resigned last year from PD. That wasn't news.
Makes sense. I think it depends on the profile of the individual -- if it's a prominent member like the mayor or one of the two party chairs, it tends to get a bit more delicious for reporters.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:18 pm

Later kiddo

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:24 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:Later kiddo

Funny, I remember saying the same to you several months ago when you promised to go the fuck away.

The moral to the story: Don't get your hopes up, Goober.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:33 pm

PD Criticism Jumps Shark

Taxed
Forum Addict

Postby Taxed » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:49 pm

PD = Politically Dead

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:01 pm

I'm glad she's supporting Edwards. Good girl.

Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Postby Like_Stink » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:14 pm

Daisy wrote:I'm glad she's supporting Edwards. Good girl.

Time well spent on her part. Good to hear it.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:16 pm

Y'know, all the issues brought up in that letter would lead any organizational consultant to point decisively to one factor affecting PD's problems: Leadership.

Subeck should take at least some of the blame, as she was in a position to affect change. If she wasn't, then she wasn't a very effective co-chair. If that's the case, then maybe this should be viewed as an predictable resignation with Subeck spinning it as something different.

Not that politicians ever spin anything.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:17 pm

I didn't get to the punch line....

The committee resigned from PD to pursue larger than County goals. The members of the committee that were PD members, did not resign PD.

But, if a tree falls on a Libertarian Party meeting, does anyone hear it?

TomS

Postby TomS » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:24 pm

Daisy wrote:I'm glad she's supporting Edwards. Good girl.

Good for her, bad for Edwards.

(Track record: Subeck, Lowery, Backer)

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:33 pm

jjoyce wrote:Y'know, all the issues brought up in that letter would lead any organizational consultant to point decisively to one factor affecting PD's problems: Leadership.

Subeck should take at least some of the blame, as she was in a position to affect change. If she wasn't, then she wasn't a very effective co-chair. If that's the case, then maybe this should be viewed as an predictable resignation with Subeck spinning it as something different.
I think all of that's a fair assessment, minus the "spinning" part which implies she intended for her letter to become public. Dunno if that's an accurate assumption.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:45 pm

Someone in Madison just forwarded me the thing. It's quite a kiss-off. The juicy bits:

One month, I missed SC to spend time with my best friend who was hospitalized in critical condition after having a stroke. When I told one SC member why I couldn't make it to the meeting, she reacted by telling me that then we wouldn't have quorum so she hoped I'd come. I am reasonably sure this was the start of the downward spiral in my attitude toward being active in PD...

Frankly, my decision is also in part out of frustration with Progressive Dane and the direction (or lack of direction) in which the party is going. We spend more and more time talking and less and less time following through on the things we discuss. As a member of the SC and party co-chair, I feel I couldn't even begin to accurately articulate what we are actually working on. I don't think that's because of my ignorance but instead because of the party's lack of direction...

I find that I don't particularly enjoy being a poster-child for PD, nor do I like having everything said by Brenda or a few other PD-related folks define my thoughts in the minds of others...

I guess that I'm not necessarily totally attached to the third-party concept either...It seems that far too often, our drive to beat the other guys gets in the way our actually moving forward and accomplishing something...On the whole, we don't play well with others.

Too often, we try to claim holier than thou status but then do things that are every bit as petty or silly or wrong as what we are supposedly fighting. I realize that you all may not agree with me, but it seems that when others behave badly, we respond either by whining about it or by behaving equally badly in a slightly different way...

It's hard to lead when not striving for anything in particular. My own vision of where to lead PD appears not to mesh well with others on SC...

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:05 pm

Interesting what you have chosen to leave out . . . Mr. Spinmeister.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”