And Now it's City Well 16

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6044
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:51 am
Location: New York, NY

Postby Daisy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:15 pm

Bwis53 wrote:What does the mayor drink?
Margaritas, lively Pinot Noirs from Sonoma, vodka tonics.

habari
Forum Addict
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:53 am

Re: And Now it's City Well 16

Postby habari » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:19 pm

Taxed wrote:
massimo wrote:
Taxed wrote:You can buy a lot of new and functioning chlorinators for what the city is spending to determine how large of a downtown circle streetcars would run on.


Why should it have to be "either or"? Can't a society desire *both* clean water and public transportation?
Sure, get out your check book. Let's build some high density affordable penthouses while we are at it. And since my cat seems depressed, let's get a city plan in place to assist with that problem. Maybe we could combine the prostitute rehabiltation program and a new program called Operation Depressed Feline and let them share a new city built facility that we can call the Mad City Cathouse.


Mmyyyyeeah!!!

And maybe the city can start a fund for logical trampolines, to help us with our logical leaps!

We could call it Operation Incapable of Making a Reasonable Argument!

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6044
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:51 am
Location: New York, NY

Postby Daisy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:24 pm

Pokey Hauntuss wrote: the County Exec, scowl on face, is considering running him over for sandbagging a broader more sensible approach to public transportation with his trolley folly.
How'd that happen? Are you saying he outmaneuvred the political powerhouse that is Dane County's Exec-for-Life?

Or did someone decide that Madison supporting big, stinky, inflexible diesel trains which serve few actual Madisonians and only further promote sprawl wasn't the way to go? If people wring their hands about whether Madison has the population density to support rail, ya reckin Cross Plains has it, Skippy?

Re: the water issue, by yourself one of them filter-purifier pitchers, or a case of Poland Spring (or some bourbon, like civilized people) and save the drama for the next time the city tries to make foreign policy.

Pokey Hauntuss
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:05 am

Postby Pokey Hauntuss » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:54 pm

Daisy wrote: Are you saying he outmaneuvred the political powerhouse that is Dane County's Exec-for-Life?
I am saying he selfishly set back/sandbagged a plan designed to work for 500,000 people because he has Portlanditis and canâ??t get past the memory of his mother singing him to sleep at night with the Rice-a -Roni jingle.

Daisy wrote:[Or did someone decide that Madison supporting big, stinky, inflexible diesel trains which serve few actual Madisonians and only further promote sprawl wasn't the way to go?
No some of us just canâ??t see spending $58 million to move people 4 circular miles around the state capitol.

Daisy wrote:Re: the water issue, by yourself one of them filter-purifier pitchers, or a case of Poland Spring (or some bourbon, like civilized people) and save the drama for the next time the city tries to make foreign policy.
Right, wouldn't be make sense to sweat an undrinkable public water supply when we are being overrun by incandescent light bulbs.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3371
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:14 pm

Taxed wrote:Seems the Mayornator and his Phi Beta Kappa Water Guru pumped bad water past a bad chlorinator.


What was bad about the water?

"It is unlikely any health problems were caused by the latest incident, according to Thomas Schlenker, director of public health for Madison and Dane County. But Schlenker said the flaws that are causing such breakdowns need to be addressed.

"The lapse needs to be addressed in a way that establishes fail-safe processes for ensuring appropriate chlorine and fluoride levels for the entire Madison Water Utility system of wells, pumping stations and reservoirs," Schlenker said.

While the state doesn't require utilities such as Madison's to use chlorine, the city's water utility sets its own standards and chlorine levels in water from well No. 16 did drop below those standards, utility officials said."

massimo
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1943
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Madison

Postby massimo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:10 am

Taxed wrote:
massimo wrote:Are you seriously suggesting that our water issues are being dealt with less quickly because funds are tied up with the trolley business? If so, you're going to need to share some data.
As Einstein said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." I don't require a lot of data to make simple points like these...

Oh, I see. You substitute "imagination" for things like "data" and "knowledge":
[quote]As long as the mayor is playing with trains and running around his office going â??woo, woo...â?Â

Taxed
Forum Addict
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:45 pm
Location: 89th best mid-sized city in America

Postby Taxed » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:28 am

massimo wrote:Oh, I see. You substitute "imagination" for things like "data" and "knowledge"!

Consider selling the right side of your brain. You can legitimately advertise it as unused.

One ideally gathers factual information and data and then confidently uses it in creative and imaginative ways to make points. You are still stuck in the place of not being confident enough of your ideas (sic) to use them without verbal footnotes and resources to prop them up.

Of course Einstein could be wrong, and you right. But that just doesnâ??t feel (right brain) right.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1274
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:39 pm
Contact:

Postby AlphaLiberal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:39 am

From Taxed's link:

Officials with the Madison Water Utility said chlorine equipment on the well malfunctioned and the systems that should have alerted an operator on duty Friday didn't work.
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=130762&ntpid=3

To say that an equipment failure is the Mayor's fault is the height of intellectual dishonesty.

Taxed, you're a wanker.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1943
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Madison

Postby massimo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:37 am

Taxed wrote:One ideally gathers factual information and data and then confidently uses it in creative and imaginative ways to make points.

Ideally, yes. What do you say about those who do this in reverse-- those who use their imagination and creativity to generate factual information and data?

Taxed
Forum Addict
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:45 pm
Location: 89th best mid-sized city in America

Postby Taxed » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:57 am

massimo wrote:
Taxed wrote:One ideally gathers factual information and data and then confidently uses it in creative and imaginative ways to make points.

Ideally, yes. What do you say about those who do this in reverse-- those who use their imagination and creativity to generate factual information and data?

I suppose we need a few of them to write speeches for the President in support of WMD claims, etc. But to me reversing the process is a bit like painting portraits with a hammer.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm
Contact:

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:16 pm

lukpac wrote:
Taxed wrote:Seems the Mayornator and his Phi Beta Kappa Water Guru pumped bad water past a bad chlorinator.


What was bad about the water?

"It is unlikely any health problems were caused by the latest incident, according to Thomas Schlenker, director of public health for Madison and Dane County.


Is not this the same Dr. Schlenker that was not collecting potential manganese-related health complaints because he felt that it was a rather pointless exercise?

Taxed
Forum Addict
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:45 pm
Location: 89th best mid-sized city in America

Postby Taxed » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:55 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:Is not this the same Dr. Schlenker that was not collecting potential manganese-related health complaints because he felt that it was a rather pointless exercise?
Indead! Or as we call him in the halls of city government, Dr. Browndrip.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests