Vang Pao controversy continues

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 10, 2007 4:03 pm

From Marc Eisen, Isthmus editor.
Who is Vang Pao? Two online sources are helpful if not disturbing in how they portray the Hmong general for whom a new Madison elementary school will be named.

The transcript for a May 17, 1988, investigative report by PBS's Frontline -- "Guns, Drugs, and the CIA" -- names Vang Pao as a key player in the drug trade during the Vietnam War.

The report directly connects the transport of opium and its conversion into heroin to the Hmong CIA mercenary army fighting an undeclared war against the North Vietnamese and Laotian communists.

A fuller but still troubling picture of Vang Pao emerges in the winter 2000 issue of the Hmong Studies Journal. It contains 'Warlord," a chapter from Keith Quincy's book, Harvesting Pa Chay's Wheat: The Hmong and America's Secret War in Laos.

The chapter's abstract credits Van Pao with creating a political machine with "a vast system of patronage and graft designed to co-opt clan notables (many of them potential political rivals) and, if this failed, a program of assassination for troublemakers."

Pao Thao

General Vang Pao

Postby Pao Thao » Mon May 14, 2007 12:29 pm

Igor wrote:So essentially this is coming down to a battle of:

"Name the school after a member of a minority ethnic group"

vs.

"Name the school after someone politically liberal"

Gee, I think I will sit this one out, until they figure out to just call it Tiger Woods elementary, in exchange for a funded golf team.

What does Tiger Wood had done for this country.. or you asked yourself..? Genergal Vang Pao put his own life and Hmong lives to save your uncle's life or neighbor's lives in 70's, so they wont' get butch in South Vietnam like a dog by the norht vietnamese soldier. What more he needs to do for this country in order for him to recognized and honorred. He is the only Hmong leader who can meet with President Bush anytime, the Governor, etc.. !

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Re: General Vang Pao

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Mon May 14, 2007 1:02 pm

Pao Thao wrote:Genergal Vang Pao put his own life and Hmong lives to save your uncle's life or neighbor's lives in 70's, so they wont' get butch in South Vietnam like a dog by the norht vietnamese soldier. What more he needs to do for this country in order for him to recognized and honorred. He is the only Hmong leader who can meet with President Bush anytime, the Governor, etc.. !

Being able to meet with W is probably not the greatest feather in General Pao's cap.

On a related note, I am (very) personally thankful for President Truman's decision to drop the atomic bomb as it saved countless American soldiers (including my father) from a very likely death (since they were preparing to invade the Japanese mainland).

However, for the very same reason I would find Truman to be a very inappropriate name to bestow on a school.

So, I can be grateful that many lives on "my" side were saved, but also sickened that so many on the "other" side were lost.

I am sure that we could find a leader that has honored all sides, or - perhaps better - took no side at all.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Why is Vang Pao's former military rank included in the school name? Blackhawk was a war chief, yet that title is not included. Likewise, Akira Toki was a soldier, yet no military title in that named middle school.

Pao Thao

Re: General Vang Pao

Postby Pao Thao » Tue May 15, 2007 11:44 am

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:
Pao Thao wrote:Genergal Vang Pao put his own life and Hmong lives to save your uncle's life or neighbor's lives in 70's, so they wont' get butch in South Vietnam like a dog by the norht vietnamese soldier. What more he needs to do for this country in order for him to recognized and honorred. He is the only Hmong leader who can meet with President Bush anytime, the Governor, etc.. !

Being able to meet with W is probably not the greatest feather in General Pao's cap.

On a related note, I am (very) personally thankful for President Truman's decision to drop the atomic bomb as it saved countless American soldiers (including my father) from a very likely death (since they were preparing to invade the Japanese mainland).

However, for the very same reason I would find Truman to be a very inappropriate name to bestow on a school.

So, I can be grateful that many lives on "my" side were saved, but also sickened that so many on the "other" side were lost.

I am sure that we could find a leader that has honored all sides, or - perhaps better - took no side at all.

I agreed that's why they should honored General Vang Pao and name that school after him. He didn't started the Vietnam War in Laos, it's the American people. That's why he very well deserve the honor from the American People. If you denied him that honor then you are a trader and broke your promise. The Hmong people lives in the highland, minority group who were denied for Education, jobs, equality, justice, just like the Blacks people in the 60's. When General Vang Pao became the leader,gain power, he then build schools, hospital,send Hmong children to school and has opportunity for high education, and promote equality and justice for the Hmong people.

You can call that he is a General and a Civil Right Leader for the Hmong people at that time. How many Leaders can you find that are sacrifice his life and own reputation to his people. A good leader is not just what he did but his mission and goal that are not just for himself but the people as a whole.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”