Council Appointment Catfight

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:52 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:You maybe could have used a different verb??
My apologies. That was unintentionally evocative and I'm sorry for any mental distress which would understandably result from such verisimilitude.

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Re: Wake up, Brenda! Dave finally did.

Postby missmadtown » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:36 am

bada_bingus wrote:
The gender issue simply distracts from the facts. Her sloppy appearance more likely frames more impressions of her than anything to do with gender.

Mayor Cheezwhiz (lol-good one, whoever thought of that), doesn't seem to have a problem with sloppy appearances, in women anyway. Who can forget the awful image of his ex-City Clerk, D. H. B., sitting next to him at Council meetings in her stuffed sausage mini skirts, hanging out of her tacky, revealing tank tops?

Taxed
Forum Addict

Postby Taxed » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:53 am

missmadtown wrote:Who can forget the awful image of his ex-City Clerk, D. H. B., sitting next to him at Council meetings in her stuffed sausage mini skirts, hanging out of her tacky, revealing tank tops?
That was actually Austin King.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:30 pm

missmadtown wrote:Mayor Cheezwhiz (lol-good one, whoever thought of that), doesn't seem to have a problem with sloppy appearances, in women anyway. Who can forget the awful image of his ex-City Clerk, D. H. B., sitting next to him at Council meetings in her stuffed sausage mini skirts, hanging out of her tacky, revealing tank tops?

What a brilliant take on local politics!!1! (roflmao!)

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:02 pm

Ald. Konkel will be my guest this week on Sunday Journal on 92.1 The MIC from 10:45 to 11.

Hope you can join us.

And for those interested in school issues, Martha Vukelich-Austin (Foundation for Madison's Public Schools) will be on at 11:30.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Ald. Konkel will be my guest this week on Sunday Journal on 92.1 The MIC from 10:45 to 11.0

You can swap stories on how you were each yanked by your respective mayors. Sweet.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:52 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Ald. Konkel will be my guest this week on Sunday Journal on 92.1 The MIC from 10:45 to 11.

I know that what you schedule on Saturday never comes out right on Sunday. But, come on, Fifteen lousy minutes?

What you need to do is get Brenda and Dave in that broom closet you broadcast out of and give them a full hour, or maybe both hours, to hash all this out. It would make for great radio.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:27 pm

Well, I'm hoping it will be fifteen good minutes.
Reason it's only one segment -- Laura Flanders and Greg Palast are in town Sunday night; Martha will talk about the grants the Foundation just gave out; and Bill Drennan has an appearance coming up. But don't worry -- we'll have Brenda on again, I'm sure.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:30 pm

I know, I know. Maybe you can count this as a vote to give you more than two hours.

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:54 am

nevermore wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Ald. Konkel will be my guest this week on Sunday Journal on 92.1 The MIC from 10:45 to 11.

I know that what you schedule on Saturday never comes out right on Sunday. But, come on, Fifteen lousy minutes?

What you need to do is get Brenda and Dave in that broom closet you broadcast out of and give them a full hour, or maybe both hours, to hash all this out. It would make for great radio.

Pay-per-View! Pay-per-Hear! Seriously, could not someone sell tickets?

I dislike pay-per-view on principle, even for events I won't watch. But this could generate serious revenue. Proceeds to an agreed-upon housing fund . . .

. . . but I suppose purists will object to the Devo soundtrack. Spoilsports. Like their dignity was so important anyway ..

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:35 pm

I wish Ald. Konkel would just tell us why *she* thinks the mayor took her off the planning commission. After listening to Stu's radioshow today, it seems she has an idea but just wants the mayor to say it himself.

I wonder if the planning commission will still be as interesting to watch now that it will be filled with Consensus Builders.

Will Mr. Forster-Rothbart will still be a member? He's usually good for some off the wall questions.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:17 am

universitylad wrote:I wish Ald. Konkel would just tell us why *she* thinks the mayor took her off the planning commission.

Please, don't encourage her.

This whole brouhaha has taken on the tone of a chapter out of the Sweet Valley High series.

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Council Appointment Catfight

Postby universitylad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:04 pm

spanky wrote:So the Mayor doesnâ??t reappoint Konkel to IZ, Housing, TIF and Plan Commission. It takes a deal brokered on council floor to get her on new seats for the TIF and IZ committees and Verveer gives up his seat on the Housing Committee for her all to keep her off the Plan Commission. The deal, apparently was brokered by Verveer, Brandon and the Mayor with input from whom?

Brenda Konkel wrote:And Verveer and Bruer did the negotiating for me . . . the Mayor and his staff never talked to me, not even once. My concern was about IZ Oversight, TIF and demolitions. IZ was offered immediately, they said they'd think about TIF. I said no, I wanted to be assured. They said yes and that they would create the extra positions and appoint me to both committees and I said I wanted a public commitment and to make sure Zach et al didn't block my appointment. That was the extent of my involvement.

Why is it necessary to negotiate and create additional committe positions? If one is removed from the Plan Commission and affects other committee memberships, so be it. Can't others learn about and handle IZ and TIF? Couldn't Brenda just offer her advice to the committees rather than creating an additional seat?

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Apparently, laddie, you're not too familiar with the legislative process. There's a world of difference between being on the committee and "offering advice" from afar. You know, little things like making motions, having a protected right to debate, voting.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:There's a world of difference between being on the committee and "offering advice" from afar. You know, little things like making motions, having a protected right to debate, voting.
True, to a point. But power, especially as conferred upon oneself by membership of one of 18,294 municipal bureaucratic bodies, is overrated and entails tedium, reading dry, lengthy packets, listening to bores and nutcases droning on during public testimony, and worst of all, accountability.

You know better than most that influence is much more fun than power.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”