Did your alder sign the oath supplement on the amendment?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
admin
Forum Addict

Did your alder sign the oath supplement on the amendment?

Postby admin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:44 pm

Last edited by admin on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awestra
Forum Addict

Postby awestra » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:00 pm

I love how Zach passed out a Media Statment (Press Release) on the issue.

Harriet The Spy
Forum Addict

Postby Harriet The Spy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:45 pm

Is Eli Judge an idiot or just plain spineless? From his waffling statement, it's hard to tell.

Transfer

Postby Transfer » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:57 pm

He spent more time on the grassroots level fighting against the amendment than any single person on city council. I guess the real question is: are you an idiot or just a hack?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:57 pm

awestra wrote:I love how Zach passed out a Media Statment (Press Release) on the issue.

Judge did the same thing and he's been an alder for about five minutes. As for Brandon, the first-day proceedings made things kind of a zoo. This way he could kill several birds with one stone.

They don't call him media savvy for nothing.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Harriet The Spy wrote:Is Eli Judge an idiot or just plain spineless? From his waffling statement, it's hard to tell.

Or perhaps a shrewd political move to let his colleagues on the concil know that he's not going to waist time tilting at windmills like his predecessor did.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:41 pm

Is this part of Judge's statement odd?

Given my past record and the fact that I publicly identify as "gay," I am usually considered a sure-fire "statement-er."

I'm not sure many people consider Judge a sure-fire anything aside from a rookie alder, but what's up with the part about publicly identifying as quote gay unquote?

Is that the same thing as saying he's gay?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm not sure many people consider Judge a sure-fire anything aside from a rookie alder, but what's up with the part about publicly identifying as quote gay unquote?

Probably not.

If he were gay, he'd just say, "I'm gay."

Transfer

Postby Transfer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:56 am

so about the other 19 alders...

Randy New Man

Postby Randy New Man » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:09 am

I don't think you have to take an oath to be gay.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:48 am

WSJ's wonderful insight:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/opinion ... tid=129783
Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and about half the Madi son City Council on Tuesday morning arrogantly put their personal beliefs above the law. These city leaders added to their oath of office a statement of protest against the new state constitutional ban on gay marriage and civil unions.

*About* half? There are 20 alders. 10 signed the statement. Last I checked, 10 out of 20 is exactly half.

A surprising half of the new -- and hopefully improved -- Madison City Council on Tuesday had the political courage to do what's right. Just as countless elected officials before them have done, they swore allegiance to the state and federal constitutions -- no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Judge's blog statement wasn't an "if" "and" or "but"?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:02 am

Well, at least the WSJ editorial board is going to continue to advocate for the rights of gay couples.

I'm sure they'll get around to that right after criticizing those who are actually trying to do something.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:46 pm

What if we changed that to say:

lukpac wrote:WSJ's wonderful insight:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/opinion ... tid=129783
Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and about half the Madi son City Council on Tuesday morning arrogantly put their personal beliefs above the law. These city leaders added to their oath of office a statement of protest against the new state constitutional ban on interracial marriages.

Would the Wisconsin State Journal still think that the alders were arrogantly putting their personal beliefs above the law?

Erik Paulson

Postby Erik Paulson » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:41 pm

jjoyce wrote:Is this part of Judge's statement odd?

Given my past record and the fact that I publicly identify as "gay," I am usually considered a sure-fire "statement-er."

I'm not sure many people consider Judge a sure-fire anything aside from a rookie alder, but what's up with the part about publicly identifying as quote gay unquote?

Don't read too much into it - it's just most people don't bother to put their label in quotes. (There's a lot more than just "gay", "straight", and "bi", of course.) It is the same thing as saying he's gay. (For more, see the Isthumus cover story this week)

political genius

Postby political genius » Wed May 02, 2007 7:37 am

Transfer wrote:He spent more time on the grassroots level fighting against the amendment than any single person on city council. I guess the real question is: are you an idiot or just a hack?

wait! wait! is it too late for me to vote? i say both. he's young, so maybe he'll grow out of what is hopefully a phase. or maybe he'll just grow some.

on the other hand, i know i can't be the only one who found brandon's statement genuine. sure, he likes press, but on that day he could've picked any number of other things to take credit for. and he chose to show he has a heart. i assume he promptly put it back away the next day. but i can appreciate that.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”