Clifford loses election...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Clifford loses election...

Postby dstol62 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:31 am

What else can you say, other than WMC's ability to buy a state judicial seat

ROCKS!!!

Hooray for corporate culture!

to those with no ability to detect humor-this post is facetious...

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:39 am

You are right. It also definitively solidifies my belief that we are living in a culture that not only ignores, but actually rewards unethical behavior.

That having been said, I must also say that Clifford ran an abysmal campaign.

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:52 am

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:57 am

aaron wrote:That having been said, I must also say that Clifford ran an abysmal campaign.

I'd go even further and say she was an abysmal candidate. I voted for her but could also clearly see why she was going to get beat. Besides being behind in money and not having the "sexy" tough on crime thing, she just didn't have much charisma. That is the price of admission. The environmental lobby needs to realize that next time.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:01 pm

It's hard to decide what is more disheartening ... that someone as proven to be as corrupt as Ziegler could win the election so easily, or that Clifford ran such an unbelievably ineffective campaign.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:05 pm

I never heard any Clifford advertisements on the radio, but there were a plethora of Ziegler spots (most quite inane and of the "I'm-a-judge-and-she's-not" sort).

What exactly did Ms. Clifford spend her campaign funds on?

Nevertheless, who is the next justice expected to retire/be up for re-election?

It cannot be too early to find an anti-Ziegler.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:06 pm

minicat wrote:that someone as proven to be as corrupt

Uh, I don't think this has been proven. Isn't there an investigation or something underway?

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:08 pm

bluethedog wrote:
aaron wrote:That having been said, I must also say that Clifford ran an abysmal campaign.

I'd go even further and say she was an abysmal candidate. I voted for her but could also clearly see why she was going to get beat. Besides being behind in money and not having the "sexy" tough on crime thing, she just didn't have much charisma. That is the price of admission. The environmental lobby needs to realize that next time.

In other words, if a candidate doesn't have the media's idea of what sells (ie, the physical goods), they should stay home. Wow, it's really comforting to know that the enlightened voters of this state give the same protocol to an election as they would to electing a high school prom court. Give me a break!

At some point, Wisconsin will have to join the other 2/3rds of the country and appoint their state judicial seats.

HooferX
Forum Addict

Postby HooferX » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:09 pm

aaron wrote:You are right. It also definitively solidifies my belief that we are living in a culture that not only ignores, but actually rewards unethical behavior.

I came to this forum for the first time last year with a story of longstanding and ongoing unethical and felonious acts by State employees, at the University no less, where they teach new generations of impressionable youths that such is normal acceptable behavior. The good and righteous Forons responded with what one might call ridicule or silence.

The only people who cared about Annette Ziegler's conflict of interest were the Clifford supporters who thought they could use it as a political club to beat Ziegler with. A fine political strategy, except they forgot that Fighting Bob is dead, buried and forgotten. Nobody cares about nebulous concepts like ethical behavior anymore.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:16 pm

dstol62 wrote:In other words, if a candidate doesn't have the media's idea of what sells (ie, the physical goods), they should stay home. Wow, it's really comforting to know that the enlightened voters of this state give the same protocol to an election as they would to electing a high school prom court. Give me a break!

ENLIGHTENED??? Bwa ha ha ha! Yes they should definitely stay home.

dstol62 wrote:At some point, Wisconsin will have to join the other 2/3rds of the country and appoint their state judicial seats.

That might help.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:22 pm

HooferX wrote:The only people who cared about Annette Ziegler's conflict of interest were the Clifford supporters who thought they could use it as a political club to beat Ziegler with.

Agreed. This will fall by the wayside just as OJ's search for the "real killers" did.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:03 pm

I was so disgusted by their respective campaigns that I decided to write-in the wifey instead.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:Nevertheless, who is the next justice expected to retire/be up for re-election?

It cannot be too early to find an anti-Ziegler.

The good guys will be on the defensive next time -- it's Justice Louis Butler, appointed by Gov. Doyle a few years ago. WMC will come after him, too.

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:04 pm

There was a lot to be disappointed with in the Clifford campaign. But I don't think this cements the cojnclusion that modern AMericans don't give a rats ass about ethics.

Empirical evidence: Corruption outpolled the Iraq occupation last November as a motivating issue.

It takes a good campaign to effectively use the issue to win. That's not the test case we had here.

Also, I think the "soft on sexual predators" schtick backfired on Clifford. If your opponent is sleazy and you want to distance yourself from your opponent, don't use sleazy attack ads people won't believe. They don't get credibility and they drag down your main issue (she won't even follow the rules, herself). We couldn't believe Clifford was runing that d when we saw it.

This keep scoming back to the same ol' "cookbook" strategy that lost the AG's office and lost a chanec to swing the court away from the lunatic fringe. Show some creativity, people!

Now we have a Justice cut from the same cloth as Alberto Gonzales. Great.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:09 pm

I wonder if WMC told Ziegler to wear the "little number that sells"...

Return to “Local Politics & Government”