Former Alder Accuses Mayor Of Campaign Ethics Violations

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm
Contact:

Former Alder Accuses Mayor Of Campaign Ethics Violations

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:15 pm

Last edited by Mister_A_In_Madison on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kanye Westsider
Forum Addict
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:06 pm

Re: Former Alder Accuses Mayor Of Campaign Finance Violation

Postby Kanye Westsider » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:From Channel3000.com...


hmmmm.... our very own caucus scandal...

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm
Contact:

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:00 am


lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3371
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:51 am

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=126590

But he went on to report that "There have been a number of infractions on Ray's part. He sent a letter directly to a city employee, which is a violation of state law."

May said this morning that he had heard that City Alcohol Policy Coordinator Joel Plant had received at his work address a fund-raising letter from the Allen campaign. Plant was not available for comment.

But Semmi Pasha, Allen campaign spokesman, said: "It is petty. They are just trying to deflect attention. Anyone in their right mind knows that using taxpayer resources to aid re-election is on a much different scale than accidentally sending a letter to someone. It's on such a different scale that it's laughable. It shows desperation they know they got caught and are trying to drag us into this mess. We got the endorsement of the police union but you didn't see us jumping on top of police cars and parading around."


Wow.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm
Contact:

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:22 am

What all of this really shows is that there is money to be made by a truly savvy campaign manager, since both campaigns have made several rookie mistakes.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6747
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:03 am

It's tough, but Mayor Dave will turn this into a real race yet, at the rate he's going.

cristobal
Forum Addict
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:56 pm
Location: Near East - Madison
Contact:

Re: Former Alder Accuses Mayor Of Campaign Finance Violation

Postby cristobal » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:48 am

Oh come on... somebody went to a firehouse and asked the guys to pose for a picture? Who cares?

Though I did notice seemingly speedier snow-plowing this spring.

cristobal

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4296
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:46 pm
Location: E Wash
Contact:

Postby ShaneDog » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:17 am

I know this is nit-picky but he wasn't accused of a campaign finance violation...it was a city campaign ethics violation.

Kanye Westsider
Forum Addict
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:06 pm

Postby Kanye Westsider » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:25 pm

C'mon. The guy broke the law. How is this any different than the caucas scandal? The WSJ has reports that the water utility is running radio ads on how great the water is. how convieniant for dave.

cristobal, are you really saying that city laws don't matter, so long as you don't break state laws?

Mayor Dave = Cvhala, Foti, Jensen...

glad i didn't vote for him.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm
Contact:

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Kanye Westsider wrote:The WSJ has reports that the water utility is running radio ads on how great the water is. how convieniant for dave.


... who happened to be responsible for Denig-Chakroff getting a contract renewal.

No, no relation at all between ads touting Madison's water supply and the early release of the annual water report and the election next week.

I guess all of that consultant work on improving the Water Utility's communications skills is really paying dividends! :roll:

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm
Contact:

Postby Dulouz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:40 pm

Kanye Westsider wrote:C'mon. The guy broke the law. How is this any different than the caucas scandal?


Where is the "pay to play"? Or are all laws the same: speeding=retail theft=embezzlement=murder?

Should the City treat every license oversight by a tavern as a license pulling event?

I assume that you also think that the DA should go after the illegal gambling machines in the city and county taverns (including a certain bar on N. Sherman)? After all, The Law is being broken!

Kanye Westsider
Forum Addict
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:06 pm

Postby Kanye Westsider » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:21 pm

Dulouz wrote:
Kanye Westsider wrote:C'mon. The guy broke the law. How is this any different than the caucas scandal?


Where is the "pay to play"? Or are all laws the same: speeding=retail theft=embezzlement=murder?

Should the City treat every license oversight by a tavern as a license pulling event?

I assume that you also think that the DA should go after the illegal gambling machines in the city and county taverns (including a certain bar on N. Sherman)? After all, The Law is being broken!


See Chakroff for the pay to play. (He gets to keep his job if he produced some jazzy radio spots during reelection).

The other thing they got thrown in jail for was using taxpayer resources for campaigns. That's exactly what Dave is doing. Using taxpayer resources for reelection.

His true self is coming out.

pragmad
Senior Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:57 pm

Postby pragmad » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:44 pm

Kanye Westsider wrote:
Dulouz wrote:
Kanye Westsider wrote:C'mon. The guy broke the law. How is this any different than the caucas scandal?


Where is the "pay to play"? Or are all laws the same: speeding=retail theft=embezzlement=murder?

Should the City treat every license oversight by a tavern as a license pulling event?

I assume that you also think that the DA should go after the illegal gambling machines in the city and county taverns (including a certain bar on N. Sherman)? After all, The Law is being broken!


See Chakroff for the pay to play. (He gets to keep his job if he produced some jazzy radio spots during reelection).

The other thing they got thrown in jail for was using taxpayer resources for campaigns. That's exactly what Dave is doing. Using taxpayer resources for reelection.

His true self is coming out.

Because of water reoort? Geez, policy doesn't stop in an election yr. Might this help the mayor? Maybe? But that's the luck of being an incumbant.
-Pragmad

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm
Contact:

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:51 pm

pragmad wrote:
Kanye Westsider wrote:
Dulouz wrote:
Kanye Westsider wrote:C'mon. The guy broke the law. How is this any different than the caucas scandal?


Where is the "pay to play"? Or are all laws the same: speeding=retail theft=embezzlement=murder?

Should the City treat every license oversight by a tavern as a license pulling event?

I assume that you also think that the DA should go after the illegal gambling machines in the city and county taverns (including a certain bar on N. Sherman)? After all, The Law is being broken!


See Chakroff for the pay to play. (He gets to keep his job if he produced some jazzy radio spots during reelection).

The other thing they got thrown in jail for was using taxpayer resources for campaigns. That's exactly what Dave is doing. Using taxpayer resources for reelection.

His true self is coming out.

Because of water reoort? Geez, policy doesn't stop in an election yr. Might this help the mayor? Maybe? But that's the luck of being an incumbant.
-Pragmad


So, the water report coming out two months early is policy?

Or is it luck?

pragmad
Senior Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:57 pm

Postby pragmad » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:04 pm

Kanye Westsider wrote:
Dulouz wrote:
Kanye Westsider wrote:C'mon. The guy broke the law. How is this any different than the caucas scandal?


Where is the "pay to play"? Or are all laws the same: speeding=retail theft=embezzlement=murder?

Should the City treat every license oversight by a tavern as a license pulling event?

I assume that you also think that the DA should go after the illegal gambling machines in the city and county taverns (including a certain bar on N. Sherman)? After all, The Law is being broken!


See Chakroff for the pay to play. (He gets to keep his job if he produced some jazzy radio spots during reelection).

The other thing they got thrown in jail for was using taxpayer resources for campaigns. That's exactly what Dave is doing. Using taxpayer resources for reelection.

His true self is coming out.

Please he checked w/ the State Elections Board because Madison doesn't have one. He didn't do anything every incumbant in almost every other chief exectutive office legally doesn't do. That's different than using one's office to make campaign calls or plan strategy. This was a picture, not a strategy session.
-Pragmad


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests