OK, We Got It, Soglin is the best ex-Mayor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm
Contact:

OK, We Got It, Soglin is the best ex-Mayor

Postby Dulouz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:33 pm

After reading the Isthmus candidate questionairres, I admit that I actually respect Robbie Weber for not saying Soglin.

At first, I thought SRC's response was smarmy and annoying, but then I realized that Mike Verveer is technically the only former Mayor of Madison that she has lived in Madison long enough to name, so give her points for honesty.

But really, Soglin?

It wasn't like Sensenbrenner was horrible--he did win relection twice (although his only opposition was from the left-Tony Reynolds, Alex Cunningham and Mary Kay Bauman). Ironically, he lost to a candidate with left credentials who ran to the right (Soglin).

Did Soglin get so many mentions because boomers have incredible memory gaps from the drugs, or because he served so long and the candidates simply don't remember anyone else?

Having met the last three former mayor, I will say that my favorite is Sensenbrenner if only for his sense of humor.

awestra
Forum Addict
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:31 am
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: OK, We Got It, Soglin is the best ex-Mayor

Postby awestra » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:05 pm

Dulouz wrote:
At first, I thought SRC's response was smarmy and annoying, but then I realized that Mike Verveer is technically the only former Mayor of Madison that she has lived in Madison long enough to name, so give her points for honesty.


As much as people like to forget Sue Bauman. Satya was living here when she was still Mayor.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm
Contact:

Re: OK, We Got It, Soglin is the best ex-Mayor

Postby Dulouz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:39 pm

awestra wrote:
Dulouz wrote:
At first, I thought SRC's response was smarmy and annoying, but then I realized that Mike Verveer is technically the only former Mayor of Madison that she has lived in Madison long enough to name, so give her points for honesty.


As much as people like to forget Sue Bauman. Satya was living here when she was still Mayor.


my apologies. I thought that the period from 99-03, we were goverened collectively. . . .I distinctly remember the era of President Olson as being a Golden Age for my particular street.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1231
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Hypertime
Contact:

Postby BobArctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:13 am

The primary is over and some of us have a choice between Satya and Mark Deadman. I'm going to be nice to Satya because the alternative is horrible.

Image

Here's Deadman's front door at his business. Given the choice between the progressive princess and the corrupt wingnut, I'll back the princess.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm
Contact:

Postby Dulouz » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:55 am

Hey, I don't have an axe to grind with this or the incumbent/challenger poll. It is just the spring election has turned into a total snooze despite all of the contested races.

Here it is two weeks before the election and the most pressing issue on the board is whether Ed Blume got his f***ing email returned!

I personally think Allen did a disservice to his conservative candidates for council by running to the center. A good right-wing rabble rouser might have at least gotten the vote out for Deadman.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1231
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Hypertime
Contact:

Postby BobArctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:47 am

It really is a snoozer of an election.

Admittedly, I'm busy 18 hours a day down in the lab and not even following individual campaigns.

Satya has knocked on my door twice. Mike Bashford knocked once. Mark Deadman probably wouldn't walk into my block. He's probably not used to Black people.

Eastsider
Forum Addict
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:36 pm
Location: E. Wilson St. Motor Home
Contact:

Postby Eastsider » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:52 am

Maybe Soglin has been the best ex-mayor like Carter has been the best ex-president?

Bonzai444
Forum Addict
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:53 am

Postby Bonzai444 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:47 am

BobArctor wrote:It really is a snoozer of an election.

Admittedly, I'm busy 18 hours a day down in the lab and not even following individual campaigns.

Satya has knocked on my door twice. Mike Bashford knocked once. Mark Deadman probably wouldn't walk into my block. He's probably not used to Black people.


This is interesting....so let me get this straight....you're going to vote for Satya because Deadman HAD a replica of a flag on his door in protest of a ban that directly hurt his business, and because his opponent has come to your door and he hasn't? He's explained the former Soviet Flag thing, and if you actually listen to what he has to say about it you can't really blame him. The fact that he's never been to your door may have something to do with where you live, but not for the reasons your claiming. Maybe you live in an apartment or condo building that the other two have access to that Mark doesn't? Maybe you live in an area that he for some reason has targeted to knock at the end of the race? Or maybe, just maybe Mr. "I work 18 hours a week and don't have time to pay attention to individual races" HE'S BEEN TO YOUR HOUSE WHEN YOU WEREN'T HOME!!!!!!!!!! How smart does one really need to be to contemplate that possibility?

Furthermore I certainly wouldn't be contending that someone I guarantee you've never met in your life would be "afraid of black people." What gives you the right to make that assumption? Are you stereotyping the moderate sixty something white male as being racist? I think perhaps considering that McPike is his campaign manager it probably should give him something of a benefit of the doubt don't you?

Regardless, if you want to vote for someone who's running for City Council purely as a means of furthering a political career, then go ahead and vote for SRC. She can play the part of the community oriented grass roots candidate all she wants, but those of us who aren't blinded by her BS know that if elected she will be nothing more than another PD puppet that is just going to play nice long enough to get some fancy job in Washington or something. As a member of PD you HAVE to go along with what camrade Konkol and the rest of those nut jobs have in store for the rest of us, and trust me regardless of how she tries to spin it she will fall in line with the rest of them. SRC has flat out admitted to the fact that were she to be put in a situation where her constituants wanted her to vote one way on an issue, and PD wanted her to vote differently, she danced around it for a while only to admit that she would "obstain." Is that really what an elected REPRESENTATIVE of the people of the 12th District should be doing?

Personally I want someone who is going to represent everyone in the district first and what's best for the city of Madison as a whole a close second, not a political party of which there are 300 something members in the entire world. It's idiotic, and I can't believe that so many of you are conned by this. That's liberal Madison for you though....some people are just going to vote for whomever is furthest to the left, regardless of whether or not they actually agree with more things that the candidate in the middle has to say.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building
Contact:

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:34 pm

And someone who apparently compares a smoking ban instituted by a democratically elected government with the repression of a totalitarian communist state represents "what's best for the city of Madison"??

Wow, you got some very strange values, Bonzai

Bonzai444
Forum Addict
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:53 am

Postby Bonzai444 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:52 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:And someone who apparently compares a smoking ban instituted by a democratically elected government with the repression of a totalitarian communist state represents "what's best for the city of Madison"??

Wow, you got some very strange values, Bonzai


Not sure anyone is qualified to speak for someone else with regards to exactly what they were thinking when they did something, but I think a little empathy for the situation would be fair here Stu. The smoking ban certainly did push alot of bars out of business, and his has suffered because of it. If you read his answers to TDP questionare he answered prior to the primary it explains his perspective, and I don't think it's nescessarily fair to say that he wouldn't be qualified to serve as alder because of a tongue in cheek effort to make his customers feel better about a situation that none of them were happy about.
Last edited by Bonzai444 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21653
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:58 pm

Bonzai444 wrote:The smoking ban certainly did push alot of bars out of business...

So you say.

Bonzai444
Forum Addict
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:53 am

Postby Bonzai444 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:00 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Bonzai444 wrote:The smoking ban certainly did push alot of bars out of business...

So you say.


It's a fact. Some have closed, most on the outskerts of town are down in sales. Arguing that is naive.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21653
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:05 pm

Bonzai444 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Bonzai444 wrote:The smoking ban certainly did push alot of bars out of business...

So you say.


It's a fact. Some have closed, most on the outskerts of town are down in sales. Arguing that is naive.

Lots? Three or four (if it's that many) is hardly a lot.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3365
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:11 am

Bonzai444 wrote:Maybe you live in an apartment or condo building that the other two have access to that Mark doesn't?


What is this magic access you speak of?


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DCB and 4 guests