Marquette School to be axed?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4296
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:46 pm
Location: E Wash
Contact:

Postby ShaneDog » Mon May 21, 2007 12:25 am

Wow. There is a lot of sincerity and emotion in these responses. I think we all want kids that grow up in Madison to receive the best possible education although we may disagree about how to produce that result.

I'm kind of worried that our fairly affluent city is having budget crises year after year. Unfortunately, like many Madisonians I don't know enough about the reasons behind the budget crunch other than a vague idea about how QEO limits the amount school district budgets can increase each year.

Hopefully all of the creative options are being explored. Consolidating school districts to reduce administrative costs seems like it might be an easy first step.

Next time the MMSD budget comes up for approval I am definitely going to get better educated an more involved in the process.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 21, 2007 7:48 am

Dulouz wrote:(long rant against teachers ending with) Your whole career and retirement is based on the rape of the tax payer for the demogougery of MTI. Let me know when you actually want to make a commitment to school kids that doesn't involve a paycheck.

Fuck you.

I certainly didn't go into teaching to rape the taxpayer. I made less than ten thou a year my first two years of teaching.

You sir, are an unmitigated asshole.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm
Contact:

Postby Dulouz » Mon May 21, 2007 12:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I certainly didn't go into teaching to rape the taxpayer. I made less than ten thou a year my first two years of teaching.

You sir, are an unmitigated asshole.


I certainly can be, but you are just too easy to bait!

I felt obligated since you seemed to be sucking up the WSJ/GOP talking points without much criticism.

dudemeister
Forum Addict
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby dudemeister » Mon May 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Dulouz wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:You sir, are an unmitigated asshole.

I certainly can be, but you are just too easy to bait!


Enough with the flame. Why do 50% of the threads in here descend into "fuck you" - "no, fuck you!"

Anyway there's a decent explanation of how the QEO and revenue caps interact on MMSDs website. Basically the QEO enforces a yearly increase of something like 3.5%. The MMSD can either accept that figure or go to the bargaining table with the union. The revenue cap essentially caps revenue increases at something like 2%. The difference of 1.5% (or whatever the actual figure is) is the problem.

Since healthcare costs have been going up dramatically and, I believe, are included in the QEO figure, teachers aren't getting rich.

Basically we should remove revenue caps and let localities decide. I have no idea why we let some larger goverment entity decide what we (here) should be deciding.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm
Contact:

Postby Dulouz » Mon May 21, 2007 3:12 pm

dudemeister wrote:
Basically we should remove revenue caps and let localities decide. I have no idea why we let some larger goverment entity decide what we (here) should be deciding.


Well, you are right about the flame--my bad--
The State isn't just some "larger" government entity, it is THE legal authority. Even the federal government has to, in certain cases, respect state law over federal law.

If you want to change the way that schools are funded or organized, it has to happen at the State level. So why aren't the representives of the districts including MMSD fighting for change?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 21, 2007 3:28 pm

Dulouz wrote:If you want to change the way that schools are funded or organized, it has to happen at the State level. So why aren't the representives of the districts including MMSD fighting for change?

Short answer: They have lobbied the Legislature for a change in the funding, but the GOP controlled Assembly stands in the way.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm
Contact:

Postby Dulouz » Mon May 21, 2007 3:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dulouz wrote:If you want to change the way that schools are funded or organized, it has to happen at the State level. So why aren't the representives of the districts including MMSD fighting for change?

Short answer: They have lobbied the Legislature for a change in the funding, but the GOP controlled Assembly stands in the way.


That didn't stop Pocan from making real changes with Supermax. Maybe the ELECTED representatives shouldn't be lobbying, but proposing and agitating. Also, I believe that the Sentate is controlled by the Democrats. What was that excuse again?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 21, 2007 4:34 pm

Dulouz wrote: Also, I believe that the Sentate is controlled by the Democrats. What was that excuse again?

It takes both houses of the Legislature to change the law on revenue caps for public schools, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Link to MMSD lobbying efforts.

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Sheppy » Mon May 21, 2007 4:45 pm

Holy shit, Marquette University is closing??!! I mean, I knew things were bad in Milwaukee, but a once thriving university hitting the skids like that?? Holy crap. I think I heard UW-Milwaukee is closing soon too. Oh well, I guess that's what happens when you let a city decay into oblivion. So be it, I hate Milwaukee anyway, and I can't wait until it's population finally hits 0. Which will happen within ten years anyway, I'm sure.

ONLY 44 MORE POSTS UNTIL SHEP HITS THE 1,000th POST!!!!!!!!

dudemeister
Forum Addict
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 12:12 pm

Postby dudemeister » Mon May 21, 2007 9:39 pm

Dulouz wrote:The State isn't just some "larger" government entity, it is THE legal authority. Even the federal government has to, in certain cases, respect state law over federal law.


Yes that is true.

Typically though taxing authority and decision-making authority reside at the same level of government. That is, we vote for Madison alders, they decide to levy and collect taxes and (for the most part) how to spend the money. If we don't like it, we can choose other representatives. The key is "we" get to choose how our locally collected money is spent locally.

The school district is also a taxing authority but their tax levy ability has been moved to a higher level of government. They are still responsible for deciding when and how to spend the money but cannot really alter the levies.

This means that people who are not part of our community are deciding how we may collect and spend local levies regardless of what a community might need.

Suppose the state government declared that municipality dirt road maintenance will be capped at $5 per resident per year. Madison would likely be unaffected; Reedsburg residents, on the other hand, would probably have some terrible roads.

It just doesn't make sense.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests