Signatures to run

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

How many sigs should you need to run for mayor?

Leave it at 200: Keeps things interesting
45%
Raise it to 500: This isn't amateur hour
36%
Drop it to 10: Come one, come all!
18%

Total votes: 11

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Signatures to run

Postby jjoyce » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:07 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all you need to get on the ballot for mayor in Madison is 200 signatures. How old is that requirement?

People are now arguing about whether Will Sandstrom should be included in the debates prior to the primary, some questioning his mental stability. But would we even have this discussion if the threshold for inclusion on the ballot were, say, 500? Surely, Allen, Cieslewicz and Munoz would be able to collect those signatures, right?

Or should this remain a come one, come all deal?

Taxed
Forum Addict

Re: Signatures to run

Postby Taxed » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 am

jjoyce wrote:Or should this remain a come one, come all deal?
In a system that allows GWB to serve in the nation's highest office, how could you possibly justify not giving Will a shot at presiding over the Alder Follies? I mean, why should all the loonies be on the floor? Give one the baton.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:37 am

I heard a rumor that Ray Allen almost didn't get the required 200. He had a bunch from outside the city (!?)and had to run out at the last minute to gather legal signatures before the deadline.

Considering that he was the first to announce he was running, he should have had plenty of time to organize a good volunteer effort. Of course, his campaign fundraising shows that wasn't the case.

Geez, if even Sandstrom can get 200 signatures, Allen's near-miss is pretty pathetic.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:48 am

I think the signatures requirement is basically a formality that ensures 1) you are not the only person in Madison who thinks you should be running for mayor; and 2) you have a minimum amount of either organizational skill or personal perseverance.

Having plenty of candidates, even absurd ones, is healthy. The only exception is when a totally unelectable, totally unqualified candidate (Sandstrom, for instance) singlehandedly forces an entire election into a costly primary for no good reason other than that third person's gratification.

Less-connected candidates should always be offered a place in televised debates and other public events, too. If we had, say, 40 candidates that might be another matter, but we don't.

Daryl Hall

Postby Daryl Hall » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:48 am

roadkill bill wrote:I heard a rumor that Ray Allen almost didn't get the required 200. He had a bunch from outside the city (!?)and had to run out at the last minute to gather legal signatures before the deadline.

Considering that he was the first to announce he was running, he should have had plenty of time to organize a good volunteer effort. Of course, his campaign fundraising shows that wasn't the case.

Geez, if even Sandstrom can get 200 signatures, Allen's near-miss is pretty pathetic.

I heard a rumor that Ray Allen keeps 12 live tigers in his backyard.

I'm pretty sure Allen could get 500 signatures at one 100 Black Men or one African Amerian Business Association meeting.

But you Cieslewicz knob slobbers continue to crack me up in creative ways. :D

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:57 am

Daryl Hall wrote:I'm pretty sure Allen could get 500 signatures at one 100 Black Men or one African Amerian Business Association meeting.

Well, someone could call the City Clerk's office to check. She would know.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:09 pm

For perspective, I collected around 200 on my best days. Doing it in winter's tougher.

Daryl Hall

Postby Daryl Hall » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:10 pm

roadkill bill wrote:
Daryl Hall wrote:I'm pretty sure Allen could get 500 signatures at one 100 Black Men or one African Amerian Business Association meeting.

Well, someone could call the City Clerk's office to check. She would know.

Check on that tiger thing, too.
That's not safe. :(

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:49 pm

I've heard the same rumor, and from a reliable source. But I'm convinced Allen wouldn't have to rely on the African American community in town to get his names, as you evidently do.

Taxed
Forum Addict

Postby Taxed » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:00 pm

bmasel wrote:For perspective, I collected around 200 on my best days. Doing it in winter's tougher.
Yeah but a bunch of those people thought they were signing up for free samples.

Spoken Word
Forum Addict

Postby Spoken Word » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:35 pm

I think they should raise the required signatures to 500.

That said, I believe that this year Sandstrum should absolutely be allowed to debate. He's on the ballot. Not allowing him to debate could cause a dangerous precedent, regardless of (perceived or real) his eccentricities

Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Postby Aubrey McFate » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 am

Just so we're all clear on this, the required number of signatures is set by state statute - in the case of Madison and other second- and third-class cities, section 8.10(3)(j).

In first-class cities, which for all practical purposes means Milwaukee, the minimum number of signatures for mayoral candidates is 1,500 (section 8.10(3)(i)). Madison meets the population requirement for first-class status (I believe 150,000), but it has never chosen to take the administrative steps necessary to make it official (largely because doing so would subject Madison to a slew of laws originally written with only Milwaukee in mind).

Return to “Local Politics & Government”