Allen-Muñoz: Who'll survive...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who gets the honor of losing the general?

Peter Muñoz
57%
Ray Allen
43%

Total votes: 28

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Allen-Muñoz: Who'll survive...

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:49 pm

...the primary, and win the honor of having his ass handed to him in the general?

This, moreso than anything to do with Dave, is really the one entertaining part of your mayoral election: out-of-date website vs. NO website....resentment vs. bitterness...

It's wrong, it's cruel, you know you're not supposed to laugh.....it's the political equivalent of 'tard rasslin'.

Place your bets.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:38 pm

You forgot to include Dr. Will Sandstrom.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:28 pm

I would love to see a groundswell sweep Sandstrom in, but my bet is Muñoz.

1) Ray Allen is too associated with Republicans in a city that has been seething anti-republican venom for 6 years now.

2) There are some other issues regarding race, but few on this board are willing to acknowledge the inconvenient truths to mention them.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:44 pm

Dulouz wrote:There are some other issues regarding race, but few on this board are willing to acknowledge the inconvenient truths to mention them.

Such as?*

*OK, you had to know this would follow.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Allen-Muñoz: Who'll survive...

Postby Genie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:53 am

Daisy wrote:This, moreso than anything to do with Dave, is really the one entertaining part of your mayoral election: out-of-date website vs. NO website.....

As important as having a website is, not everyone has a computer. So do those people not count in the election? There are people who go to forums and read the LWV newspaper. A website can be nice to look at but it won't tell you as much as meeting the candidates and asking them questions face to face.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:46 am

Suggesting that it's okay for your campaign to not have a website because not everyone has a computer is like saying it's okay not to pass out literature because not everyone can read.

As for Sandstrom, few serious discussions about this race need to include him. Four years ago, it was kind of novel and a bit goofy. Today, it's more sad, actually.

Greg Markle
Forum Addict

Postby Greg Markle » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:50 am

[quote="jjoyce"]Suggesting that it's okay for your campaign to not have a website because not everyone has a computer is like saying it's okay not to pass out literature because not everyone can read.

quote]

One of the goals many learners achieve at the Literacy Network is the ability to vote by themselves for the first time.

(It should be noted that individuals with low literacy skills can also have an associate join them for voting to read the ballot.)
Last edited by Greg Markle on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:37 am

Greg Markle wrote:individual's [sic] with low literacy skills
I'm gonna assume intentional irony.

camaleon
Forum Addict

Postby camaleon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:40 pm

Daisy wrote:
Greg Markle wrote:individual's [sic] with low literacy skills
I'm gonna assume intentional irony.

Given the former alder's propensity for grammar and spelling errors on this forum, I'm guessing that there's nothing intentional about it.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:58 pm

Markle does great work, cut him some slack. But my comment was meant to chide anyone who thinks campaign websites are somehow a luxury item. In fact, in local elections, they can be the best way for people to find out about the candidates on an on-demand basis.

The clock is ticking for Munoz. In a city as wired as Madison is, the lack of a site might indicate the candidate's personal comfort level with new technology.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:02 pm

jjoyce wrote:The clock is ticking for Munoz. In a city as wired as Madison is, the lack of a site might indicate the candidate's personal comfort level with new technology.

I doubt it; I think he just wants to get this whole thing over with while spending as little money as possible.

Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:22 pm

bluethedog wrote:
jjoyce wrote:The clock is ticking for Munoz. In a city as wired as Madison is, the lack of a site might indicate the candidate's personal comfort level with new technology.
I doubt it; I think he just wants to get this whole thing over with while spending as little money as possible.
Jason's right, and as far as minimizing expenditures goes...

He can register a domain and get 3 months of hosting for under 100 bucks. Being sure to avail himself to such services locally, in Madison. Ahem.

It's not like he needs all kinds of heavy-duty, e-commerce back-end stuff and jazzy Flash animation. Just do a fucking brochure site for posting press releases, upcoming events etc. And if he does wanna take web donations, any idiot can set up a PayPal account. He can easily have one of his tech-literate volunteers make a damn good looking one in Dreamweaver or iWeb. Hell, Peter could have a go at a WYSIWYG editor himself. They're simple, they come with tutorials, and it'll be something to enhance his employability after the spring election.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:Suggesting that it's okay for your campaign to not have a website because not everyone has a computer is like saying it's okay not to pass out literature because not everyone can read.

I didn't say that it was okay for the campaign not to have a website - that's just your slant on what I said. What I said was that not everyone HAS a computer - and believe it or not, Jason, they don't. Many people use the library computer as their only source. My older daughter did. We didn't have a computer until my sister gave us her old Mac. So a website isn't necessarily the way to reach people. It's a good thing, and obviously is the most important thing to you Jason, but actually meeting people in the real world is more important - or don't you ever go out into the real world? :roll:

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Genie wrote:or don't you ever go out into the real world? :roll:

Ummm.... good one?

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:10 pm

I know you're a Mayor Dave groupie, but really, accusing Peter of being anti-technology? Is this what you'll write in your next Mayor Dave's Weekly Reader?

Peter Muñoz has certainly used computers - when at DNR, when in the Mayor's office and at Centro Hispano.

I'm sure he will get it going but he's was delayed getting into the race by a death in the family. And I guess that has slowed everything down for him. Death has a way of doing that.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”