The Mayor's "Race"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Could Ray Allen solve Allied Drive and other racial problems better than Mayor Dave?

Yes
26%
No
56%
Maybe
7%
This is really racist!
11%

Total votes: 27

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:50 am

Dulouz wrote:
harrissimo wrote:
Dulouz wrote:Madison is certainly a racist town...

What exactly do you mean by this statement? I don't understand.

Madison, with a huge majority of Euro-Americans (mostly German and Scandavian) tends to have the classic Northern racist tendencies. I think that, as a musician, yo have a number of colleagues who can give you a first hand perspective that I cannot.

Wait a second Dulouz, I'm not letting you off the hook with this one. "tends to have the classic Northern racist tendencies". What the hell does that mean? "Madison is certainly a racist town". It is? How is it racist? Explain please. Yes, I am a musician and I have had the honor of playing with many fine musicians many of whom happened to be black. Never once had a problem with race in booking or playing a gig ever. And I mean like never, ever and I have played thousands of gigs over the past 40 years. You made this blanket statement saying that Madison is a racist city and then you refuse to explain when asked. I have a big problem with that. I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:09 pm

harrissimo wrote:
Dulouz wrote:
harrissimo wrote:
Dulouz wrote:Madison is certainly a racist town...

What exactly do you mean by this statement? I don't understand.

Madison, with a huge majority of Euro-Americans (mostly German and Scandavian) tends to have the classic Northern racist tendencies. I think that, as a musician, yo have a number of colleagues who can give you a first hand perspective that I cannot.

Wait a second Dulouz, I'm not letting you off the hook with this one. "tends to have the classic Northern racist tendencies". What the hell does that mean? "Madison is certainly a racist town". It is? How is it racist? Explain please. Yes, I am a musician and I have had the honor of playing with many fine musicians many of whom happened to be black. Never once had a problem with race in booking or playing a gig ever. And I mean like never, ever and I have played thousands of gigs over the past 40 years. You made this blanket statement saying that Madison is a racist city and then you refuse to explain when asked. I have a big problem with that. I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Northern racism is subtle. It is the receptionist who only asks for ID from black delivery people. The inability of people of color to frequent the downtown without being called "nigger", the prosecution of bars that cater to perceived"black music" while similar problems at predominately white bars are ingnored, being followed by security in department stores,etc.

I told you to ask your black colleagues about their experinces in Madison, not their gigs. How do they get treated when they walk into Target?

You really need to ask them.

As far as you calling bullshit on anyone, that has to be the most bizarre post of 2006.

om
Forum Addict

Re: The Mayor's "Race"

Postby om » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:25 pm

harrissimo wrote:
Genie wrote:The point of all this is that it is possible that Gene Parks might have been elected mayor in 1973 if he had run instead of Paul Soglin...

and pigs could fly if they had wings.

I knew Gene Parks. I liked Gene Parks on a personal level. In fact I liked him a lot. But he was a nut job of the first order and would have been a terrible mayor. This opinion is based on my first hand knowledge of Gene Parks may he rest in Peace.

Well, if you knew Gene Parks in 1973 you wouldn't have thought of him as a nutjob, but as one of the most intelligent and well-spoken local politicians around. A very possible mayor.

I don't know the full story of the tradegy and downfall of Gene Parks, but I know some of it. Gene Parks wasn't born a tradegy but a rather bright star, he had great promise in his early political career. He endured a long decline after years of frustration and anger. It finally got the better of him, and alcohol as well.

It's a fate that claims a lot of promising black males. Years of beating your head against a wall either breaks the wall, or drives you mad -- and more likely the latter.

May he rest in a well deserved peace

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:50 pm

om wrote:I don't know the full story of the tradegy and downfall of Gene Par

It's a fate that claims a lot of promising black males. Years of beating your head against a wall either breaks the wall, or drives you mad -- and more likely the latter.

that's right om you don't know the full story so why don't you just shut up. I knew Gene Parks and I liked Gene Parks. He was very intelligent and he did have a way with words when he was sober. It's insulting that you blame his problems on his race.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:10 pm

Dulouz wrote:Northern racism is subtle.

You are correct Dulouz. Northern racism is subtle..very subtle...very very subtle...very very very very very subtle. So subtle that you hardly see it. So subtle that you don't even know it exists...wait a second...maybe it is not a matter of being subtle...maybe it is a matter that 99.9% of Madisonians are not racists and are tired of poeple like you calling us racists.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:15 am

Dulouz wrote:
Genie wrote:
Both Ray Allen and Colin Powell would know what it is like to walk down a street in a white neighborhood and have the people there look at them with fear because they are assumed to be criminals. Or to be followed in a store to make sure they didn't steal anything. Mayor Dave would never have that problem. As I said, he is from the Polish end of the "longest bridge in the world" in Milwaukee - that runs between Poland and Africa.

So what? Do you really think that everyone who is of Polish descent and lives in Milwaukee embraces racist attitudes? Do you really believe that people are limited, if not predetermined, by their birth environment? Or do you think that genetics determines it?

I never said that. But he certainly wouldn't have any idea of what it is like to be on the receiving end of racism. And he probably didn't come into contact with many blacks in his neighborhood. Like many white kids in Madison. But even more so since Milwaukee actually had race riots where 3 people were killed and over1700 were arrested - in 1967. And open housing only happened after the marches. As did segregation in the schools. But any black person would know about being on the receiving end of racism.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:22 am

BobArctor wrote:A Black Republican is still a Republican.
I will never vote for a Republican.

Ray Allen is the attempt by the fat cats to play on Madison's liberals by using a Black man to front for them. Screw that.

Say, did you see the article in Madison Times about the national impeachment rally in DC, on Jan 27th?

Let's impeach Bush and get someone even better - Dick Cheney AKA Blasty McBirdshot! :roll:

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:31 am

harrissimo wrote:
Genie wrote:The point of all this is that it is possible that Gene Parks might have been elected mayor in 1973 if he had run instead of Paul Soglin...

and pigs could fly if they had wings. Just because somebody is black and runs for office and loses doesn't mean they lost because of racism. Maybe they lost because the voters preferred the other candidate.

No, Gene didn't run then -- Soglin did. And I worked for him. But they had an agreement and... I don't want to get into it...

I knew Gene Parks. I liked Gene Parks on a personal level. In fact I liked him a lot. But he was a nut job of the first order and would have been a terrible mayor. This opinion is based on my first hand knowledge of Gene Parks may he rest in Peace. The fact that he was a black man has nothing to do with the opinion I have although I'm sure some of the foron morons here will brand me a racist once again.

Yes, I knew him too. If he hadn't been such a hothead he might have been okay. He was right-on about TIF and the Convention Center and the Overture Center though. And he did a good thing getting those trains cars out of the south side neighborhood where kids could have gotten hurt on them. He also organised people to go to the anti-klan rally in Beloit several years ago.

He wasn't a nutjob. But he had a drinking problem. And he had a lot of bad experiences from racism in Madison. His father had much worse experiences. I always wished Gene had written a book about his Dad and him. There were a series of articles about his Dad a few years ago.

My husband worked for him when he ran for sheriff back when he was younger.

I am seriously considering voting for Allen. But his race will have nothing to do with my decision. In general Republicans disgust me but when it comes to local politics I have a different set of criteria. I'm more interested in practical matters. That's why I am a Soglin fan because he was a lefty that made sure the city worked on a nuts and bolts level. For example, the problems with the water wells would have never happened under his watch or they would have been nipped in the bud very early because the man took care of business. Trolley Cars? Forget about it!

I'm still waiting to hear what Allen has to say...

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:27 pm

harrissimo wrote:
Dulouz wrote:Northern racism is subtle.

wait a second...maybe it is not a matter of being subtle...maybe it is a matter that 99.9% of Madisonians are not racists and are tired of poeple like you calling us racists.

Ask Rick Flowers how easy it was to turn his commercial zoned building into a small club.

But fine. I know that the surest way to antagonize liberals like you is to suggest that their self-image isn't accurate. I usually avoid this debate since it is the proverbial singing lessons for pigs.

I am sure that you, Harris, are not racist. In fact, I am sure that some of your best friends are black. Obviously, you don't even hang around racists (since by your reckoning only 210 of Madison's population is racist, that is easy to do). My apologies for inferring that you are in any way racist or enjoy the benefits of being a white male in a racist society.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:51 pm

Dulouz wrote:Ask Rick Flowers how easy it was to turn his commercial zoned building into a small club.

I know Rick Flowers. I've played some gigs with him. He a very good drummer and a good guy. I watched the City Council proceedings regarding the club he wanted to open. It was unfortunate that his club was not approved. I think it would have been a great place. But racism had nothing to do with that decision. I don't get where you use this as an example of racism.
You act as if you need Madison to be racist to validate some innate leftist dogma that seems to be burned into your DNA. Will your world come crashing down if you open your eyes and see that Madison is not a racist city. Why does it give you such satisfaction to go around insulting me because I am white. Why does it give you such satisfaction to point your finger and call all of us who are to the right of your politics racists. Please stop your lies and stop your insults.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:10 pm

Peter Munoz of Centro Hispano is considering throwing his hat into the race for mayor. That would certainly make thing a little more interesting.

burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby burstingsun » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:19 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Peter Munoz of Centro Hispano is considering throwing his hat into the race for mayor. That would certainly make thing a little more interesting.

Peter has thrown his hat in the ring. Channel 3 ran the story moments ago.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:11 pm

burstingsun wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:Peter Munoz of Centro Hispano is considering throwing his hat into the race for mayor. That would certainly make thing a little more interesting.

I'll vote for him!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:23 pm

Genie wrote:
burstingsun wrote:

I'll vote for him!

Who would you vote for if it was just Mayor Dave, Allen and DeNure in the primary?

Legit question, just wondering who Munoz is going to take votes from.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:46 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Genie wrote:
burstingsun wrote:

I'll vote for him!

Who would you vote for if it was just Mayor Dave, Allen and DeNure in the primary?

Legit question, just wondering who Munoz is going to take votes from.

I hadn't decided. I was waiting for Ray Allen to give some idea of his positions. I would have supported Peter Muñoz from the start if he would have announced earlier. He's smart and a good guy. And he worked in the Mayor's office under Bauman so he knows how things work.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”