Myspace NO LONGER deletes "Ben Masel for US Senate (WI)

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Did I spam?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 13

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Myspace NO LONGER deletes "Ben Masel for US Senate (WI)

Postby bmasel » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:58 am

Before it was restored, I wrote:

[quote: bmasel]With no explanation, as yet.

I don't think it was over the content.

Last night I ran a search for members from Wisconsin who'd listed "Politics" as an interest, and after reviewing their pages for hints they'd be sympathetic, invited 60 or so to be "Friends."

I'm guessing Myspace took this as spamming. I'll grant it's close to the line, but feel that by limiting myself to those who'd explicitly expressed an interest in politics I'd stopped just short of crossing it.

The federal "Can Spam Act" specifically exempts political speech from its definition of "unsolicited commercial messages, but I'll grant that as a private entity Myspace is entitled to a narrower definition.

Sent Myspace an inquiry a few hours ago, no response yet.

Do you think I went too far?[/quote]
Last edited by bmasel on Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:46 pm

MySpace is facing scads of issues today:

Readers say their accounts are disappearing. It's probably just a technical error following last weekend's MySpace blackout, and not co-founder Tom Anderson exacting revenge on all who maligned him. Still, one reader says, "the thing is...last night i changed my account and one of the dislikes that i listed under the 'about me' section was 'asian fetishists.'"

An adult site got great news coverage for opening "Utherverse," an adults-only MySpace. Reuters thinks it's a possible solution to pedophile problems. But why does Utherverse let people sign up without stating their age? [Reuters]

The House of Representatives just voted 410 to 15 in favor of banning MySpace from all public schools and libraries. Unless a lot of teens buy those MySpace-enabled Helio phones, this will take a bite out of the user base. [TechCrunch]

oranger
Forum Addict

Postby oranger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:48 pm

I'll refrain from calling you a dumbass for posting this without checking the MySpace forum first, but you did not get deleted. Check the MySpace forum topic MySpace. Check this link and it should answer all your questions.
http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewCategory&CategoryID=67&Mytoken=023FD9CB-1747-4966-92E07869C10F361A546055343

Tom has been deleted as well.

AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:29 pm

There are not enough words in the English language to explain how much of a waste of time I think MySpace is...

oranger
Forum Addict

Postby oranger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:12 pm

AJ Love wrote:There are not enough words in the English language to explain how much of a waste of time I think MySpace is...

Keep on playing pong, then. Oh wait, I heard of this great new game called pac-man. By the way, Russ Feingold disagrees with you.
http://www.myspace.com/russfeingold

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:55 pm

oranger wrote:
AJ Love wrote:There are not enough words in the English language to explain how much of a waste of time I think MySpace is...

Keep on playing pong, then. Oh wait, I heard of this great new game called pac-man. By the way, Russ Feingold disagrees with you.
http://www.myspace.com/russfeingold

Oh well if Russ uses it...

Myspace is definitely a waste of time. I even have an account there. It's little more than a distraction. The only thing I find remotely useful about Myspace are artist pages. I couldn't care less about some politicians website on Myspace. I think it's pretty lame for a politician to use a Myspace profile to campaign. They should just set up their own website. But most importantly, they should fill that website with plenty of information about their position on issues and not vague statements which is the norm.

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:35 pm

christopher_robin wrote:The House of Representatives just voted 410 to 15 in favor of banning MySpace from all public schools and libraries. Unless a lot of teens buy those MySpace-enabled Helio phones, this will take a bite out of the user base. [TechCrunch]

Here's a link to this story.

What I don't get is, why doesn't the government simply ban "Communication, Period" and leave it to the courts to carve out whatever narrow exemptions they insist on? In DOPA the ability to communicate is only one of five conditions that have to be met, whereas it would seem that keeping the masses isolated from contact with one another is of the highest national priority.

Not that 'myspace' was ever so worthy of saving, but hey, who thinks they'll be affected any more than having to officially spin-off the profile page into a separate company, etc.? But I bet prosecutors will track down some kid who says Radical Things On His Web Page and say that because he has an open comment form and Angelfire puts a banner ad on his page that he satisfies all five points and is deliberately conspiring with wicked librarians to defeat the law. I mean, who pretends any more? And what need to they have to pretend?

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Oh, and by the way, if you look at the Russ Feingold site closely it says it's maintained by an 'admirer' not affiliated with him.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:55 pm

The 15 who voted against the Deleting Online Predators Act (all Democrats.) The rest blew a chance to brand theirs as the "Freedom Party" with the not yet voters who are affected.

Tammy, I don't see your name on this list. What's up with that?

Conyers
Grijalva
Hinchey
Honda
Kucinich
Lee
Lofgren, Zoe
McDermott
Payne
Schakowsky
Scott (VA)
Serrano
Stark
Watson
Woolsey

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:58 pm

bmasel wrote:The 15 who voted against the Deleting Online Predators Act (all Democrats.) The rest blew a chance to brand theirs as the "Freedom Party" with the not yet voters who are affected.

ââ?¬Å?This bill will not delete online predators, rather it will delete legitimate Web content from schools and libraries,ââ?¬? - Congressman Bart Stupak, D-Mich. Stupak then turned around and voted for it.

Conyers
Grijalva
Hinchey
Honda
Kucinich
Lee
Lofgren, Zoe
McDermott
Payne
Schakowsky
Scott (VA)
Serrano
Stark
Watson
Woolsey

eastside

Postby eastside » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:23 pm

bmasel wrote:The 15 who voted against the Deleting Online Predators Act (all Democrats.) The rest blew a chance to brand theirs as the "Freedom Party" with the not yet voters who are affected.

Conyers
Grijalva
Hinchey
Honda
Kucinich
Lee
Lofgren, Zoe
McDermott
Payne
Schakowsky
Scott (VA)
Serrano
Stark
Watson
Woolsey

But isn't paternalism and censorship of a medium that you don't even understand the best way to prepare teenagers for the dangers of the world around them?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”