WI Right To Life Proposed Abortion Restrictions

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Re: WI Right To Life Proposed Abortion Restrictions

Postby you must be joking » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Okay so I've spent enough time on this topic and for those of you I won't convince, I never will. But, I will say this in closing. What the Republicans are doing is like putting lipstick on a pig. They know that without regulatory oversight they can stand in front of their constituants and claim the moral high ground without doing anything. Voting for all these measures to limit or hinder women from getting abortions is just hypocracy because nothing is enforced.

On the other hand progressive liberal Democrats are just as guilty of hypocracy when they claim the moral high ground with their constituancy saying that abortion should be "Safe" when they know that without regulatory oversight you have many in the abortion industry who put profits in front of patients.

So both are hypocrits.

Time to throw all the bums out.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Planned Parenthood is not a for-profit business. Your only argument is that you are against abortions.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Planned Parenthood is not a for-profit business. Your only argument is that you are against abortions.

Exactly, and what the hell is the "abortion industry"

Here are the numbers:

There are roughly 1.2 million abortions in a year. They cost on average about $300. That comes to a about 360 million(gross, not net)

There are roughly 4 million births in a year. The hospital costs on average are(on the low end) about $10,000. That comes to about 40 BILLION.

Where are the profits coming from again?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:11 pm

That conveniently ignores this factual news item:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/planne ... lex,20476/

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Oh and here's some stats for you from a pro life website.

More Than 400 Women Have Died From Legal Abortions Since 1973

So how bout this one:

The U.S. ranks a dismal 50th in maternal mortality – dead last in the developed world and behind numerous other countries, from Turkey and Saudi Arabia. About 1,000 women across the country die each year from pregnancy-related complications, a rate of 14.5 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2007, the most recent data available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Another 34,000 women experience “near misses” that often result in chronic illness such as diabetes and hypertension. And the trend in recent decades often has been toward more deaths, not fewer.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/publ ... utmTOsy.99

So on average 11 woman die a year from abortions, yet about 1000 woman die a year from childbirth, putting us 50th in maternal morality. So i guess that means we need admitting privileges and more regulations for abortion clinics.

I guess we see where the GOP and YMBJ priorities stand.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:26 pm

As expected, Walker signed the restrictive abortion bill. Planned Parenthood will sue.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Maybe this will come back to haunt Walker. He signed this law on a so called "Zombie Day". A Friday after a Thursday holiday, traditionally used to bury bad or controversial news. This shit law had to be downplayed\obfuscated. This zombie of a law could come back and bite him in the ass.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:19 pm

doppel wrote:Maybe this will come back to haunt Walker. He signed this law on a so called "Zombie Day". A Friday after a Thursday holiday, traditionally used to bury bad or controversial news. This shit law had to be downplayed\obfuscated. This zombie of a law could come back and bite him in the ass.

Everybody seems to be noticing that:

The Republican-controlled Legislature passed the bill in mid-June. Walker, a Republican, could have chosen to sign it at any time since then but decided to do it on Friday in the middle of the long 4th of July holiday weekend. The measure’s opponents accused him of trying to bury news of the signing.

“That’s his prerogative. He’s the governor,” said Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin attorney Lester Pines. “But he’s not going to win a profile in courage award.”

Walker did not sign the bill in public, instead issuing a press release early in the afternoon including the bill in a list of 17 other measures he signed earlier the day.

Remember during the election when women were clamoring to have more medical information forced on them ? Me either.

Jobs, jobs, jobs, amirite?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 pm

When the Rs do shit like this, they're pandering to votes they already have, not reaching out to more. What they don't seem to realize is they're creating, out of thin air, voters who oppose them. In this case it could be young women, parents of young women, friends of young women... a whole range.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:29 am

snoqueen wrote:When the Rs do shit like this, they're pandering to votes they already have, not reaching out to more. What they don't seem to realize is they're creating, out of thin air, voters who oppose them. In this case it could be young women, parents of young women, friends of young women... a whole range.

I doubt that it will impact the views of either pro-life or pro-choice young women. I suppose if there somehow exists a person who is undecided on this issue, it could have an impact.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:20 am

It won't change people's minds on the issue of abortion, but it might get some to vote who might not have otherwise, especially among the young (who generally don't show up at the polls as much as older voters).

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:It won't change people's minds on the issue of abortion, but it might get some to vote who might not have otherwise, especially among the young (who generally don't show up at the polls as much as older voters).

Fair enough - that may be the case, though most of the people with strong views on this issue that I know vote 95-100% of the time.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:32 am

doppel suggests that signing this law might "bite him in the ass". But that presumes a Democratic opponent with a spine who is willing to make an issue of it.

I do think you could win over some "moderates" if you were to forcefully point out just how extreme this bill is. (You're not going to lose any liberals on this issue, and you can write off the righties from the get-go) I just don't think most Dems are willing to do that.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:39 am

DCB wrote:doppel suggests that signing this law might "bite him in the ass". But that presumes a Democratic opponent with a spine who is willing to make an issue of it.

I keep seeing this and never understand it, so I have to ask: given the choice between Scott Walker and a cockroach, are there actually non-conservatives who would vote for Scott Walker?

Are there non-conservatives who think Walker is really not that bad?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:42 am

I am starting to think the most powerful way to "solve" this stupid abortion problem would be do what gays did years ago: women who have had abortions need to start coming out. Don't be surprised when this happens. There is nothing indecent about having an abortion any more than there's something indecent about being gay.

Some of the Democratic members of the Wis House already "came out" during the debate and it was a powerful, though underreported, session.

and:
Are there any moderate Walker supporters any more? Fewer and fewer. He's doing a fine job of turning them off, day by day.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”