STUFF THAT'S LIKE A BURLAP COLONIC

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: STUFF THAT'S LIKE A BURLAP COLONIC

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:37 pm

towanda wrote:People who are born English speakers who cannot speak or write a coherent sentence. Especially if they have post-graduate degrees.

These are sentence fragments.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:39 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
towanda wrote:People who are born English speakers who cannot speak or write a coherent sentence. Especially if they have post-graduate degrees.

These are sentence fragments.

I'm guessing towanda's got a post-graduate degree.

entretanto

Postby entretanto » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:29 pm

If your too-young-to-drive kid has a cell phone at all, I question your parenting skills.

People I suspect don't have kids questioning my parenting skills is burlap colonic-ish.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:56 am

entretanto wrote:
If your too-young-to-drive kid has a cell phone at all, I question your parenting skills.

People I suspect don't have kids questioning my parenting skills is burlap colonic-ish.

People who are too idiotic to properly raise children and wonder why everyone is questioning their parenting skills is like having a burlap coloni-ish...ish.

entretanto

Postby entretanto » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 am

OK, as I've just noted that this thread is in the TV category perhaps we should leave the debate regarding teens, cell phones and my (alleged) idiocy for another time.
I'll take the high road and say "Morning Joe."
Last edited by entretanto on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:58 am

Not to take this in a parenting direction, but it seems to me that a kid too young to drive has many reasons for a cell phone, mainly because it's almost impossible to find a pay phone these days. Example: Kid goes out with friend and friend decides to go somewhere to do something dumb. As a parent, I'd want my kid to be able to call me to come pick him up instead of getting into a situation where he needed to ride along just because he'd be stranded otherwise.

My kid is involved in all sorts of activities that are basically drop-off/pick-up. Sometimes things happen where they need to get in touch with you because plans change. Coach has the wrong key to the gym and practice is called off, the movie he was supposed to see with friends is sold out, etc. When I was a kid, my dad would just give me a couple dimes and that was that. But it's not that easy now.

My kid doesn't have a phone, but some of his friends do. They don't carry them around school, but they often have them on weekends or in with their sports gear. They're mostly the pre-paid kind.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:12 am

white_rabbit wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Why wouldn't they?

At the Wisconsin Historical Museum Saturday there were a couple of young gals, probably around ages 10-12, wandering around with phones glued to ear...

Talking on the phone in a museum is tacky regardless of age. On the other hand, big fucking deal. Were you so bored by your surroundings you had to focus on them?

Begrudging a fellow bus rider his cell conversation is just as self-centered as "yakking" on the bus.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am

As a child of the late 70's/early 80's, my mother wouldn't let me go anywhere without a couple dimes for the exact same reason. I have no problem with today's kids carrying cell phones. Its a safety issue--plain and simple. Using phones or mobile devices in class or while driving is wrong, sure. Allowing your kid to use a phone to call you for a ride is not.

The people who argue against this, are the same ones who claimed they would never own a cell phone when they first became available. In ten years they will be arguing about the next wave of technology and how frivolous it is (and that parents who let their kids have--insert new device here--are irresponsible and contributing to the downfall of the broader culture).

Luddites will always bitch about progress, that's what they do. My wife had a cell phone early and many of our friends gave us a hard time about it (her job paid for it for emergency use). Its rude when you take a call, its obnoxious when it rings in your pocket, I would never own one of those, etc. One couple even made a "joke" Christmas card with the two of them at a picnic talking on cell phones (as if individuals who own mobile phones are so self-absorbed they can't enjoy a picnic together without chatting on their phones).

Now they both own iphones that they can barely figure out.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:34 am

Ducatista wrote:Talking on the phone in a museum is tacky regardless of age. On the other hand, big fucking deal. Were you so bored by your surroundings you had to focus on them?

I wouldn't equate having my museum experience annoyed by chatty cellphonites who thrust their rude behavior into my realm of consciousness as being bored by my surroundings, nor would I describe an observation of said rude behavior as "focusing" on the offenders.

As a side note, I do understand why parents would want their children to have cellphones, but the phone should come with a lesson on proper phone etiquette.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:37 am

white_rabbit wrote:I wouldn't equate having my mu....

Fair enough.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:42 am

Ducatista wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:I wouldn't equate having my mu....

Fair enough.

Truthfully, I laughed.

entretanto

Postby entretanto » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:51 am

I have two kids, one has a cell phone and the other doesn't (will soon, though). The peace of mind I get being able to check in with her is invaluable. Especially for some of the reasons Jason noted regarding getting into bad situations, plans changing, etc.
The one without a cell phone? There's always a nagging worry about where she may be, and hoping she's able to borrow a friend's cell if she needs to get ahold of us. No parent wants that feeling. Sometimes they're even at friend's houses where there's no land line.
They don't use them in school, and yes I've taught them proper etiquette so that hopefully the museum-going and bus riding public isn't annoyed with them.
Can I have my "not too idiotic to properly raise children" card back now?

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 am

entretanto wrote:Can I have my "not too idiotic to properly raise children" card back now?

Did AV make everyone immune to sarcasm? Good-golly, gee-whiz....please don't take me serious as I am an obnoxious, sarcastic ass.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:59 am

white_rabbit wrote:Truthfully, I laughed.

Whew, good. For some reason I'm set on Ass today.

(Ha, I was typing that as you posted.)

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 am

The sarcasm is good.

I was going to post something about how well behaved we were when we went on field trips as kids. Heck, I even owned several volumes on proper etiquette as a teenager!

I thought it might be too obnoxious.

Return to “TV”