Waist Deep In The Big Muddy

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Waist Deep In The Big Muddy

Postby jhain » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:29 pm

I first saw this in the Pete Seeger documentary and just stumbled across in on youtube a few days ago. Amazing performance after being blacklisted for 17 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXhShuof1I

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks! That really takes me back! I always thought our current fight deserved something more stinging than The Risin'.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Thanks! That really takes me back! I always thought our current fight deserved something more stinging than The Risin'.

I have no idea what The Risin' is but I'm glad you enjoyed the video. You'd probably like the Pete Seeger Documentary as well. It's called The Power of Song. Being too young to know his history, it really struck me to watch him go from the top of the charts to blacklisted. Amazing story and great music throughout.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:17 pm

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/songs/TheRising.html

It's embarrassing, to me, that I can't remember if Seeger was one the few folkies, I saw play at the old UW Barn. For some reason, I remember Phil Ochs vividly.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:51 am

Bwis53 wrote:, that I can't remember if Seeger was one the few folkies, I saw play at the old UW Barn. For some reason,

Are you talking about the Stock Pavilion?

B. Springsteen has a currently popular song?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:08 am

jhain wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:, that I can't remember if Seeger was one the few folkies, I saw play at the old UW Barn. For some reason,

The Barn is a nick name for the Stock Pavilion.

Springsteen wrote "The Rising" in tribute to the firefighters, who ran up to the top of the Twin Towers. It was played, with the firefighters standing together, as it opened the first SNL broadcast, after 9/11.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:29 am

Bwis53 wrote:
jhain wrote:

The Barn is a nick name for the Stock Pavilion.

Springsteen wrote "The Rising" in tribute to the firefighters, who ran up to the top of the Twin Towers. It was played, with the firefighters standing together, as it opened the first SNL broadcast, after 9/11.

you're right about the rising being a song about 9/11 firefighters, so why would you complain about it not being a stinging enough anti-war anthem?
if you're looking for springsteen's take on that, check out the song "devils and dust".
by the way, the rising is now three albums ago. two albums ago he did an album full of.... wait for it.... pete seeger covers.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:17 am

depinmad wrote:by the way, the rising is now three albums ago. two albums ago he did an album full of.... wait for it.... pete seeger covers.

I'm not usually a Boss fan but I'd like to hear his Seeger covers someday. Is is a good collection?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:24 pm

it's a great collection, but it's a set of traditional folk songs that seeger made "famous" rather than seeger's more overt protest songs.
although when bruce toured for the album he would regularly play seeger's "bring em home"

i grew up listening to pete seeger and seeing him in concert on a regular basis, but that documentary is great and i learned a lot from it.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:21 pm

depinmad wrote:it's a great collection, but it's a set of traditional folk songs that seeger made "famous" rather than seeger's more overt protest songs.
although when bruce toured for the album he would regularly play seeger's "bring em home"

i grew up listening to pete seeger and seeing him in concert on a regular basis, but that documentary is great and i learned a lot from it.

I picked up the Seeger Sessions CD. I really like to feel of the band. Pretty cool that it was done in 3 one day sessions with no rehearsals. I wish it had more Seeger songs but, overall, a really solid piece of work. Thanks for clueing me in!

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 pm

my pleasure. glad you liked it. they toured that album and it was quite spectacular. i believe there are a few dvds of it available.

any frogs coming to town news?

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:28 pm

depinmad wrote:my pleasure. glad you liked it. they toured that album and it was quite spectacular. i believe there are a few dvds of it available.

The copy I got is a CD on one side and a DVD on the other. Haven't looked at the dvd yet, though.

depinmad wrote:any frogs coming to town news?

I wish. No word from them, though, for quite awhile. Reminds me that I should make you a copy of that unreleased Count Yer Blessingz CD.. Good stuff.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:47 pm

that would be ducky, but what i'm really dying to hear is that cd dennis made with all those sound-alike songs. is that something that is still in your possession?

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:16 pm

depinmad wrote:that would be ducky, but what i'm really dying to hear is that cd dennis made with all those sound-alike songs. is that something that is still in your possession?

I'm sure I have it somewhere... I'll look around this weekend and see if I can locate it for you.

Return to “TV”