WSJ TV-Section Now In Thursdays Paper

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:37 am

MadMind wrote:And now as of August 20, 2008 Charter will be moving the TV Guide Channel (2) to digital cable only.
Now I'll never know what's on!!!
This is flat-out outrageous.

It looks like you might have access to the Internet.

http://www.tvguide.com/

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Sorry, but I'm with (gulp) Madmind on this one.
If you don't have cabl you probably don't have internet.
Exhibit 1: moi.
I need my TV Guide.
If th airwaves are free, the guide should be, too.
It was easier getting ahold of the guide from the Sunday paper because not only was it something I would occasionally buy, it was easily found discarded at the nd of bars, restaurant tables, and busstops.
Thursday nespaper is a different story.
Why buy the WSJ for a few paragraphs and no Sound Off! section?
OH. So I guess the TV Guide will now cost me 50 cents.
Why the hell they don't include it free in the 77 Square rag is irresponsible!!
Incomprehensible!
Indefensible!
Reprehensible!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:34 pm

MadMind has cable. He's just pissed (and rightly so) because Charter is moving the TV Guide channel off of extended basic to a new tier. I wonder what they will charge for that tier.

As far as the weekly TV listings from the WSJ, they moved it from Sunday to Thursday in order to sell more papers. They aren't about it give it away free with 77 Square.

Lots of double talk from Charter about the new channel lineup.
All of these new channels will be added at no additional cost to our customers, " wrote Lisa Washa, vice president and general manager of Charter Communications-Wisconsin, in a letter to subscribers.

To receive them, customers have to sign up for Charter HD View service, which costs $13 a month extra, and rent a box to receive the signal in HD, at $10 a month. And your TV has to be capable of receiving HD programming.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:31 am

I have internet but do not have cable. But then I am not your average bear.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm disappointed to note in the new channel listing that Charter still won't be carrying the HD feed of WBUW, Madison's affiliate of the CW network. What's up with that? M'Gossip Girl just isn't the same.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:MadMind has cable. He's just pissed (and rightly so) because Charter is moving the TV Guide channel off of extended basic to a new tier. I wonder what they will charge for that tier.

Damn straight! And don't those with digital cable have access to an interactive menu which shows the TV listings? So what do they need the TV Guide Channel for?!? Someone from Charter really should address this.

lardheppus
Forum Addict

Postby lardheppus » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:28 am

If you want a Sunday paper with a TV section, why not try the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:52 am

lardheppus wrote:If you want a Sunday paper with a TV section, why not try the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel?

Does the J-S TV section list Madison's stations and their local programming?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:59 pm

Madsci wrote:I have internet but do not have cable. But then I am not your average bear.

Neither do I, but then neither am I.

MadMind, take that 1990's computer of yours, fire up Lynx on your text-only screen, and look up the TV listings. You are being stubborn. Things change. You have to change along with them. This is the profound Zen secret of contentment. Now do it.

I do see why everybody is pissed at Charter, though. They really work hard to squeeze extra money out of their subscribers.

Whichever political party promises menu-driven cable channel subscription wins the election.

lardheppus
Forum Addict

Postby lardheppus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
lardheppus wrote:If you want a Sunday paper with a TV section, why not try the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel?

Does the J-S TV section list Madison's stations and their local programming?

Yes, it does.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:15 am

And then you can get an even more conservative view of the world. :wink:

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:03 am

Genie wrote:

Are you trying to say that the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is more conservative than the Wisconsin State Journal? If so, I would disagree.

lardheppus
Forum Addict

Postby lardheppus » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Genie wrote:

Are you trying to say that the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is more conservative than the Wisconsin State Journal? If so, I would disagree.

I'd disagree too, but i'm not sure that's what Genie is trying to say. In fact I don't think Genie is sure what she's trying to say. Nothing new there.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:49 pm

MadMind wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:MadMind has cable. He's just pissed (and rightly so) because Charter is moving the TV Guide channel off of extended basic to a new tier. I wonder what they will charge for that tier.

Damn straight! And don't those with digital cable have access to an interactive menu which shows the TV listings? So what do they need the TV Guide Channel for?!? Someone from Charter really should address this.

Back to the subject at hand, does anyone here have digital cable from Charter that can answer this question?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WSJ TV-Section Now In Thursdays Paper

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:00 pm

...and now it's gone for good, as of next week.

i would advise those who may not have had a chance to discover this yet that the milwaukee journal-sentinel publishes a statewide weekly television guide in their sunday newspaper which was superior to the wisconsin state journal analogue anyways. i would think it would be more popular with a majority of i.d.p.f. readers anyway since it is the only remaining daily left-wing regional newspaper after what happened to the capital times, if u don't count the sporadic availability of the chicago sun-times in some retail outlets in the area...actually the chicago and twin cities newspapers' television section would be useful for this purpose for all things except "know yer candidates", the county board meetings and the devil worship channel...

Return to “TV”