What are you going to watch if writers' strike continues?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
bbopdaily

What are you going to watch if writers' strike continues?

Postby bbopdaily » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:18 am

R u turning to dvds, the web, books, real movies in the theater--what's replacing TV? (Sex?)
Last edited by bbopdaily on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbopdaily

oops!

Postby bbopdaily » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:30 am

oops!--right after i posted I read a news release that NBC had fired folks, even tho leno, at the beginning of the strike, had blithly told them not to worry.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:49 am

If you use chatspeak on TDPF, expect to get flamed for weeks. And you deserve it. Chatspeak is an abomination.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:00 am

"Letters like 'u' and 'r' can mean words like 'you' and 'are'!"

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:37 am

The only things I miss are Stewart and Colbert. Otherwise, I watch my usual: sports, news, the History Channel and Sunday night Fox cartoons.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:57 am

Well, that's a little better.

I'll be pissed if the strike continues to fuck up Heroes and LOST. But ultimately, I side with the writers so I'm only selfishly pissed. The only other shows I watch regularly (Project Runway, Top Chef, and No Reservations) are all writer-free.

bbopdaily

Postby bbopdaily » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:40 pm

of course one sides with the writers

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:10 pm

There's a writer's strike? Guess I don't watch enough TV to have noticed.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:There's a writer's strike? Guess I don't watch enough TV to have noticed.

Well, it also effects movies, but it would take quite a long strike for you to notice it at the box office because most scripts are written 1-2 or more years before a film is released. Anyway, both sides are close to an agreement and I'm sure a settlement will be reached before Christmas.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:03 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:There's a writer's strike? Guess I don't watch enough TV to have noticed.

Well, it also effects movies, but it would take quite a long strike for you to notice it at the box office because most scripts are written 1-2 or more years before a film is released. Anyway, both sides are close to an agreement and I'm sure a settlement will be reached before Christmas.

Hmmm, I wonder when the last time was I went to a theater to watch a movie??? I don't get out much, having kids does that to you...

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder when the last time was I went to a theater to watch a movie??? I don't get out much, having kids does that to you...

You don't have time to watch TV or go to movies because of your kids, but you have enough time to lament the fact on the internet. I envy your life. The gun is located in the closet on the upper shelf to the left.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:27 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:

You don't have time to watch TV or go to movies because of your kids, but you have enough time to lament the fact on the internet. I envy your life. The gun is located in the closet on the upper shelf to the left.

What the hell is that supposed to mean???

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:

It means I hate Existentialism. As an art-form, not as practical expression.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:42 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:

I'm not sure what existentialism has to do with it, either.

First off, I never complained about not being able to watch TV. I also never said I don't have time to watch TV. I just choose not to. Therefore the fact that there is a writers strike has little to no impact on my life.

And my not going to movies is constrained by economics as much as (if not more than) by time. If me and my wife want to go to a movie, we need to figure in the cost of a babysitter as well. And frankly I choose (there's that word again...) to spend my money in other ways.

If that bums you out, well, I guess you know where the gun is...

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:23 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:

I'm not sure what existentialism has to do with it, either.

First off, I never complained about not being able to watch TV. I also never said I don't have time to watch TV. I just choose not to. Therefore the fact that there is a writers strike has little to no impact on my life.

And my not going to movies is constrained by economics as much as (if not more than) by time. If me and my wife want to go to a movie, we need to figure in the cost of a babysitter as well. And frankly I choose (there's that word again...) to spend my money in other ways.

If that bums you out, well, I guess you know where the gun is...

If it doesn't effect you, why the fuck bother making a comment? Why bother making comment just to say a thread doesn't relate to you? You're a humorless fuck and the suggestion of blowing your brains out was merely an suggestion that might brighten your loved one's day.

Return to “TV”