Charter HD box?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Charter HD box?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:17 pm

What brand and model cable box(es) does Charter use for HD?
Last edited by Kenneth Burns on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:21 pm

We get it through the MOXI DVR box. Is there another? I would suggest just getting DVR.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Moxi = VICTOLY

Best cable box on the market as far as I can tell. I've never tried TiVo, but moxi records everything seemlessly with lots of keep and erase options for daily shows and movies. Only problem is HD content eats up hard drive space quickly, but thats solved if you're willing to plug an external hard drive to the USB port. another hundred gigs or so will more than double your capacity.

The moxi is about the only thing I like about Charter. service and pricing can go to hell, but the box rules.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:15 pm

Just wondering. I got a message from Charter that there's a free HD preview a-comin', but I'd need a different cable box than my trusty Motorola DCT700.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:45 pm

you also need an HDTV

DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:59 pm

depinmad wrote:you also need an HDTV

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't forget cables.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:15 pm

And electricity.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:10 pm

I was hoping to use a 1947 Du Mont.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:49 am

charter has coughed up another couple of HD channels: Discovery and TLC. both welcome additions. if they can kick in the food network soon, i will probably stop considering going to directv.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:21 am

are they still part of that ridiculous HD tier? Because just having the box you get all the broadcast HD channels and having HBO I get HBO HD, and paying extra for TNT in HD seemed kinda goofy to me.

Discovery and TLC would probably get my money's worth though. I always wanted to watch high definition grease monekys build and modify gas powered vehicles.

Now that I think about it, I can walk 10 feet and look in the autoshop and see that now.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:42 am

yeah they are part of the hd tier, which i find to be a bargain by charter standards, as you get hdnet and hdvnetmovies which both have good content, and universal hd which has good content, and mhd which has extremely limited but good content. and mojo which has some fun shows too, like i bet you and dr danger and pressure cook.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:44 am

Now that I'm on DirecTV, I have all of these HD channels, including Food Network, plus HD OnDemand with some good movie choices, and it costs me about $100 a month.

Plus a bunch of HD Sports Charter will never get (regional sports networks).

There are about 30 full-time varied HD channels that I hop around on. My most common ones are:

Food Network
SciFi HD
FX HD
Discovery HD
Discovery Theatre HD
National Geographic HD
Bravo HD
A&E HD
ESPN and ESPN2 HD

Sometimes there are good shows on:

MGM HD
Bio HD
History HD

And that's really just the tip of the iceberg.

On top of all that, the quality of broadcasts on DirecTV is actually better than what I remember from Charter - although I did not have a chance to A/B test them. As a for instance, the recent NCAA coverage on CBS is some of the most horrific "HD" content I have ever seen since I switched. It is pixellated and blurry. Moving over to one of DirecTV's own movie channel HD broadcasts is like night and day compared to that quality. That said, I switched between the local OTA CBS feed, and it was equally crappy.

Maybe it's just me, but I definitely think DirecTV is allowing higher quality feeds for their HD channels than Charter is - of course Charter is not yet using MPEG-4 afaik, so that could be part of it.

Das Binky

Postby Das Binky » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:18 pm

depinmad wrote:charter has coughed up another couple of HD channels: Discovery and TLC. both welcome additions. if they can kick in the food network soon, i will probably stop considering going to directv.

I have this same discussion every few months, with Food Network, Home & Garden and the NFL Network as the big draws. If Charter can get those in place, I will stop opening the Dish Network junk mail.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:26 pm

Das Binky wrote:
depinmad wrote:charter has coughed up another couple of HD channels: Discovery and TLC. both welcome additions. if they can kick in the food network soon, i will probably stop considering going to directv.

I have this same discussion every few months, with Food Network, Home & Garden and the NFL Network as the big draws. If Charter can get those in place, I will stop opening the Dish Network junk mail.

Sounds like Charter doesn't need to if all either of you are doing is "considering"

Theres not a lot Charter can do to save me outside of lowering my monthly bill. I'm moving next month and if I don't see some stupid reduction in money, my move will include a dish man.

Das Binky

Postby Das Binky » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Shipley wrote:Sounds like Charter doesn't need to if all either of you are doing is "considering"

Theres not a lot Charter can do to save me outside of lowering my monthly bill. I'm moving next month and if I don't see some stupid reduction in money, my move will include a dish man.

For me, the technology is a barrier. I love my dual tuner Tivo, and the Dish doesn't work with it. They have DVRs, but as we TivoBitches will tell you, it ain't in the same ballpark. Cost is an issue, but the last time I did a side by side, it wasn't enough to justify dropping my beloved Tivo.

Plus, there'd have to be a lot of good programming to make up for the big dish eyesore hanging off the side of my house. :wink:

Return to “TV”