Hulkamania of sorts.

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
diva_arcadia

Hulkamania of sorts.

Postby diva_arcadia » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:02 am

I'm coming out of the WWF (or is't WWE now?) closet. I don't understand why, but I think I'm addicted to 'Hogan Knows Best' on VH1. The only other things I watch on TV are 'The Sopranos', 'Weeds', 'Absolutely Fabulous' reruns, and CNN. Ok, maybe 'The L Word' too, which I'll concede is another guilty pleasure dirty secret. Usually, I don't even have the patience to sit through an entire episode of anything. But why the Hulkster? I'm a lesbian Hulkamaniac. I don't find him attractive at all, just highly entertaining. What is it about this oily show that keeps me transfixed? I know it's bad tv. I find myself reaching for my weights while I watch too...sick, I know. Perhaps it's time for a Hulk Hogan intervention. Does anyone else out there watch this show? Do you understand? gulp. Help. :oops:

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Yeah, there's something about their family that's fun/interesting to watch. Really, the fact that he's a celebrity, a wrestler and he's a decent dad is refreshing. He's a bit overprotective of Brooke and gives Nick way too much slack, but when you look at all the crappy parents on reality TV these days, Hulk is an example of a good celebrity parent.

And I hate wrestling as much as the next person, but I like that show.

Speaking of the show, did you catch the episode where they had to find the World's Greatest Fan? And they pick some schlub from Wisconsin. He'd have made us look better if he HAD shown up with a cheesehead hat on.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:31 pm

Hulk Hogan is approached only by The Rock as the greatest WWF personality of all time. The best part, however, is that his schtick was developed back in the AWA where there were no writers or demographic consultants. I'm sure that he came up with all that Hulkamania and all the little Hulksters on his own. One of the greats, for sure.

Full disclosure: I played hockey against Mean Gene Okerlund's son, Todd, who was way better than me.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:01 pm

i don't know where you chumps have been but the iron sheik's been tearing it up lately doing the satellite radio talk show rounds.
now THERE'S a motherfucking entertainer.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:25 pm

depinmad wrote:i don't know where you chumps have been but the iron sheik's been tearing it up lately doing the satellite radio talk show rounds.
now THERE'S a motherfucking entertainer.

Yah, the short time that I watched wrestling was back in about 1985, when Sgt. Slaughter used to battle the Iron Sheik. I think that was back when MTV used to broadcast wrestling on Sunday nights.

Return to “TV”