Flight of the Conchords - HBO

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Flight of the Conchords - HBO

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 am

This show is outstanding. It's about New Zealand's fourth most popular digi-folk paradists.

I have seen 2 of the episodes so far. They are great. Murray is my favorite. You can watch the entire episode of the most recent show online at HBO.

Flight of the Conchords on HBO.

They also have clips of some of their other songs. I've seen some clips of their other stuff on Youtube as well.

Check them out.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 am

really? i've been forcing myself to watch, and putting aside the fact that tenacious d should sue, i've found it to be painfully unfunny.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 am

I'm a pretty big fan of this show too. I had never heard their act before so all the material is fresh to me. Some other people I've talked to have seen their act before and generally prefer the renditions they had seen previously to the ones on the tv show. Whatever... the show is still hilarious.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:17 am

the rhymenoceros rocks the shit!!!

i love the episode where they get mugged...

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:35 am

I got a bigger kick out of hiphopopotamus

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 am

Love it.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:17 pm

still on the fence. It's the "indie" version of Tenacious D.
last week's "Yoko" episode was good, but the "three's company" premise has been done to death hasn't it?
The songs are the best part of any episode.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:52 am

You didn't even come on the band rotunda tour Bret...

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:52 am

never was into tenacious D, mainly due to my disdain for jack black.

so i'm not sure i "get" the reference, or if it's even a rip off. i personally dont give a shit. its funny. and it doesnt have jack black.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:12 am

if you don't "get" the reference, it must be because you've never seen the three half hour tenacious d shows made for hbo some eight years ago or so.
every single thing about flight of the conchords; the credits, the concept, the interstitial breaks, the shooting style is an exact duplication of that show.

substitute jack black and kyle gass for two too cool for the room new zealand dickwads and voila.
oh yeah, and steal the brilliantly inept manager from extras, and there you go, icing on the cake.

i think the songs are actually the worst part of the show. the only one i even cracked a smile at was the rap song. and their suckiness is made even more painful by the fact that the tenacious d songs were always the highlights of those shows.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:27 am

I don't like tendacious d. I just don't find jack black funny as a comedic singer. He's better as a comedic actor for some reason. I prefer spinal tap type musical humor, and that is closer to what flight of the conchords does. I don't want it to be quite so obvious that the singers are in on the joke, as in the case with tenacious D.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:46 am

Jack Black is way overexposed and we may be seeing the backlash here. That said, I loved the HBO show, the special, their live shows (saw them twice), and even enjoyed the movie. Have they jumped the shark? Probably. Do I think JB and KG are still funny? Yes.

Flight of the Conchords is a similar, yet in many ways unique concept (NY vs. LA dynamics, Metal vs. NZ indie rock, less emphasis on Satan fantasy sequences, no dick or fart jokes). Saying "everything" about FoftheC is stolen from the D. is a huge exaggeration. Some of the elements overlap, but I think it stands on its own quite nicely. And yes, the manager is my favorite character even if he is a bit reminiscent of the Extras guy. He's hilarious. And the songs are ridiculous of course. Thats why they are funny...

Personally, I got a little tired of cock pushups, Lee, Dio, and the drive-thru after about five listens. The FoftheC songs seem to be a bit more clever.

Return to “TV”