National TV turn off week - April 23-29

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:08 pm
Contact:

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:49 pm

One day a friend told me I should read a book without telling me what it was about. It turned out to be about TV.

It was called "A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again" by David Foster Wallace.

I was immediately struck by how much he knew about the subject he was deriding with all his might. And sentences. Long, convoluted sentences.

I stopped reading before I finished it, because he was as boring as the crappy sit-coms and formulaic dramas he was deriding. I do remember a distinct tone of superiority, however, and in thinking about the writers for the many good shows that do exist, I came to the conclusion that David Foster Wallace is a pompous ass.

So there - an on-topic book report in a thread about watching TV.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7041
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 pm

TAsunder wrote:
Marvell wrote:
TAsunder wrote:Thanks for sharing your pearls of wisdom, Marvell. Should I assume you are a person who goes around telling everyone how proud you are of yourself for not watching TV? Or is this merely something you saw as a chance to (once again) fluff up your already inflated ego? Perhaps you want to actually offer some sort of substance to your point, or are you content to merely claim mine has none by stating it verbosely?


No, I just wanted to point out that you were being needlessly an asshole.

That's all. I'm out.


And yet you did so by needlessly being one yourself. But I'm sure you don't consider yourself subject to your own rules, eh? Otherwise you'd surely think you are owed several such "observations" in your cute little pet threads about George W Bush and the like.


Yes - those two things are obviously equivalent. Making a gratuitously snide, vapid and insipidly speculative statement about 'those people' engaging in TV turnoff week is exactly the same as pointing out the gross and criminal malfeasance of the President of the United States.

Care to publicly offer more proof of your pettiness and complete absence of any sense of proportion? Because watching you humiliate yourself is way more entertaining than whatever crap they're dishing up on network TV.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:48 am

2 days in.

Holy Shit, I own a piano! I found it right next to the TV. It's all covered in books, magazines and junk mail but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to work it.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:18 am

Marvell wrote:Yes - those two things are obviously equivalent. Making a gratuitously snide, vapid and insipidly speculative statement about 'those people' engaging in TV turnoff week is exactly the same as pointing out the gross and criminal malfeasance of the President of the United States.

Care to publicly offer more proof of your pettiness and complete absence of any sense of proportion? Because watching you humiliate yourself is way more entertaining than whatever crap they're dishing up on network TV.


Sorry to have to point this out, but 99.9% of your posts on TDPF are in fact "gratuitously snide" and "vapid". I'd estimate that a third of your posts serve no purpose other than to point out typos or grammatical errors, something that was barely even interesting 10 years ago on the Internet, certainly not now. Another third serve no purpose at all that I can perceive - perhaps, to return back to your "inspired" fecal analogy, they are merely the equivalent of taking a dump and then admiring it for a few minutes before you flush, all the while stinking up the place.

Your idea of "pointing out the gross and criminal malfeasance" is a lot different than mine. I didn't realize that scouring random internet sites for quotes that hardly constitute evidence of corruption only to offer some acid tongued, sarcastic remark that wouldn't even be worthy of a 92.1 radio host was doing us a great civil service. Nor would I consider telling someone to read a children's book because they aren't intelligent enough to read a normal book any sort of great intellectual discourse.

But that's typical of your posts. 0% substance, 100% snobbery. When was the last time you actually contributed any substance to a thread? Substance doesn't include saying nothing eloquently, by the way.

Do you actually own a TV? Tell us the truth, for once. You are in fact one of the TV snobs mentioned in this thread, aren't you?

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:28 am

Speaking of TV, this thread has turned into Ziegler / Clifford Redux.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:33 am

Speaking of TV, while not turning off mine yesterday I learned that Wisconsin has some sort of Solar Panel subsidy program. Does wisconsin get enough sun to power my 61" DLP?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8250
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby blunt » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:35 am

Wow! What drama and sniping and backbiting!
I only wish it was accompanied by moving pictures!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7041
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:26 pm

TAsunder wrote:
Marvell wrote:Yes - those two things are obviously equivalent. Making a gratuitously snide, vapid and insipidly speculative statement about 'those people' engaging in TV turnoff week is exactly the same as pointing out the gross and criminal malfeasance of the President of the United States.

Care to publicly offer more proof of your pettiness and complete absence of any sense of proportion? Because watching you humiliate yourself is way more entertaining than whatever crap they're dishing up on network TV.


Sorry to have to point this out, but 99.9% of your posts on TDPF are in fact "gratuitously snide" and "vapid". I'd estimate that a third of your posts serve no purpose other than to point out typos or grammatical errors, something that was barely even interesting 10 years ago on the Internet, certainly not now. Another third serve no purpose at all that I can perceive - perhaps, to return back to your "inspired" fecal analogy, they are merely the equivalent of taking a dump and then admiring it for a few minutes before you flush, all the while stinking up the place.

Your idea of "pointing out the gross and criminal malfeasance" is a lot different than mine. I didn't realize that scouring random internet sites for quotes that hardly constitute evidence of corruption only to offer some acid tongued, sarcastic remark that wouldn't even be worthy of a 92.1 radio host was doing us a great civil service. Nor would I consider telling someone to read a children's book because they aren't intelligent enough to read a normal book any sort of great intellectual discourse.

But that's typical of your posts. 0% substance, 100% snobbery. When was the last time you actually contributed any substance to a thread? Substance doesn't include saying nothing eloquently, by the way.

Do you actually own a TV? Tell us the truth, for once. You are in fact one of the TV snobs mentioned in this thread, aren't you?


Nice. Four paragraphs to say "I know you are, but what am I?"

So - now that we've taken a spin through bigotry, sophistry and false equivalence, were to the humorless pendantry/ad hominem part of the entertainment.

Which is fine with me - you think I'm a vicious, pretentious know-it-all; I think you're a hopelessly tedious square who thinks everyone who doesn't slavishly emulate his mediocre middle-class existance is somehow morally deficient.

And you're right - I am a vicious pretentious know-it-all.

But at least I'm not a hopeless tedious square.

And in case anyone needed any evidence:

You want to take control of your tv viewing habits? Buy a tivo and watch tv when you have time instead of waiting around for the show to start at 8. Problem solved.


Bourgeois cluelessness, thy name is TAsunder.

Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: mill-e-wah-que..."the good land"
Contact:

Postby Madcity Expat » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm no gratiutous TV hater - quite the contrary, I love my TV a bit too much. For the last year or so we've had "No TV Tuesday." Its sort of nice to just keep the tube off for 24 straight hours once a week. We fix puzzles and play games, music and such.

[Plus there's nothing really on Tue anyway - why do you think we chose it :) ]

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4706
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:05 pm

Beer Moon wrote:One day a friend told me I should read a book without telling me what it was about. It turned out to be about TV.

It was called "A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again" by David Foster Wallace.

It's not a book about TV. One of the book's seven essays is about TV: "E. Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction."

jhain
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jhain » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:31 pm

TAsunder wrote:As long as you don't think it's just TV that you should take a look at, it may be ok. I don't recall a lot of other "don't do x for a week" campaigns. I think we'd all learn a lot more about ourselves if we tried to eat like a vegan for a week....


Lent is 40 days.
National Meat Out is March 20 every year.

There are thousands of days, weeks and months of observances..

No need to flip your lid b/c some people want to go TV Free for a week. It is healthy to examine our habits and these sort of organized efforts help people do so.

I like Madcity Expat's approach of TV Free Tuesday.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:50 pm

jhain wrote:Lent is 40 days.

Any longer than that and you'd own it.

jhain wrote:National Meat Out is March 20 every year.

It happens every day at Olin Park.



Sorry. I'm busy yet bored.

Twofer4
Forum Addict
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:50 am

Postby Twofer4 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:15 pm

These pretzels are making me thirsty...

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Marvell wrote:Which is fine with me - you think I'm a vicious, pretentious know-it-all; I think you're a hopelessly tedious square who thinks everyone who doesn't slavishly emulate his mediocre middle-class existance is somehow morally deficient.


Not my "existance" as a whole, merely certain portions of it. And not morally deficient; merely stupid.

And in case anyone needed any evidence:

You want to take control of your tv viewing habits? Buy a tivo and watch tv when you have time instead of waiting around for the show to start at 8. Problem solved.


Bourgeois cluelessness, thy name is TAsunder.


And that's clueless... how? It gives you control over your TV viewing habits because you watch what you want, when you want it, and can feel free to simply stop watching at any time without wondering "what happened next? I missed it." You do not have control over a habit if your only options are cold turkey or nothing.

What's almighty Marvell's solution? Or even, what's almighty Marvell's opinion on TV habits? Oh right, he has none. He just like to squat in a thread and squeeze out turds.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:42 pm

TAsunder wrote:It gives you control over your TV viewing habits because you watch what you want, when you want it, and can feel free to simply stop watching at any time without wondering "what happened next? I missed it." You do not have control over a habit if your only options are cold turkey or nothing.

Wouldn't work for me, I watch whatever happens to be on. I admit I don't have control over my TV watching habit. The 1 day off a week thing sounds like a promising compromise though. I could see how that might even lead to 2 days off a week.


Return to “TV”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests