best tv show EVER

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Sorry, I was trying to return the thread to the proper glorious celebration of "the best tv show ever".

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:18 pm

I am a huge HBO (Sopranos, Curb, Wire, Extras, Conchords, John from Cincinnati, Rome, etc.) and Fx (Shield, Nip/Tuck, etc) fan, but Weeds and Dexter on Showtime are fucking great. I'm not a Showtime subscriber but I watched both shows while at home for Thanksgiving, and I will be renting them from Netflix now.

Recommended highly!!!

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:04 pm

that is a very tempting price at best buy...

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:15 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I am a huge HBO (Sopranos, Curb, Wire, Extras, Conchords, John from Cincinnati, Rome, etc.) and Fx (Shield, Nip/Tuck, etc) fan, but Weeds and Dexter on Showtime are fucking great. I'm not a Showtime subscriber but I watched both shows while at home for Thanksgiving, and I will be renting them from Netflix now.

Recommended highly!!!

I thought Weeds was pretty weak this season. You are spot on about Dexter, though. Outstanding show.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:27 pm

I only saw one episode so small sample, but it definitely was better than 99% of mainstream TV...anyway, I can only rent Seasons 1 and 2 at this point so I think I will check them out.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:26 pm

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a new FX show worth watching.

Better than anything else on right now - assuming it is still on what with the writer's strike.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:31 pm

Beer Moon wrote:It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a new FX show worth watching.

The show is currently airing season 3. I recommend checking out seasons 1 and 2 first, because a lot of the best jokes this season relate to some of the stuff in those seasons. Great show.

bbopdaily

Postby bbopdaily » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:59 pm

What was the name of that show where Glenn Frey was an actor--Oops! Now I remember--"WISEGUY". That is my fave.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:52 pm

Def, missed out on that one, I plan on getting the DVDs for Sunny as well...

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:04 pm

going back to the orginal post, my dear brother Al Shipley of the Baltimore City Paper (mobtown's free weekly, kinda like the Isthmus only with more crime) has assisted the music supervisor in putting together the official 2 disc soundtrack to The Wire. 2nd disc is completely Baltimore club and Baltimore rappers, which is great because that scene is completely ignored in the mainstream.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Kinda funny. To some of the younger posters on here, "ever" must mean within the past five years.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:26 pm

Well its kind of proven that television writing and production values are better now than they've ever been. Is Mary Tyler Moore a classic? Sure. But it doesn't stakc up even close to Arrested Development. With the expansion of cable and increased competition, TV no longer goes for the broadest audience, they can focus on the most intelligent and clever market possible and produce shows for smarter people with more refined taste.

which is of course, they type of people who'd make a list declaring their favorite show the best ever.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:47 pm

aaron wrote:Kinda funny. To some of the younger posters on here, "ever" must mean within the past five years.

Or maybe some of the shows are just that good. Just as one might argue that Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player ever despite the fact that he's still playing now.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:41 pm

The shows are that good. No more lowest common denominator with cable and the web. I'm 35 and grew up in a mostly cable free household, so I can appreciate the older shows for what they were, but many of the shows being written today stand head and shoulders over any classic TV. The sad thing is that many people still only watch what the networks give them. Even if you can't afford cable or satellite, you can watch the great cable shows on the internet or on DVD. For example, I don't have Showtime, but I watch Dexter and Weeds on DVD.

And those of you who brag about not watching TV at all don't know what you're missing. "Killing your television" may sound smart and cultured, but I'm doubting that you are truly smarter and more cultured just because you don't watch.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:52 pm

Shipley wrote:Well its kind of proven that television writing and production values are better now than they've ever been.
Proven? It's proven? Got a link to that study? How do you even go about proving that writing is better now than ever? What does that even mean?

Lemme rephrase for you: You like newer shows better.

Oh, and Arrested Development has been proven to be the most overrated thing to ever hit the airwaves.
I proved it myself by watching it after hearing how it was the greatest show ever and discovering it actually wasn't terribly impressive or innovative or groundbreaking at all, so no link is necessary.

Return to “TV”