Rescue Me

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Rescue Me

Postby MadMind » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:37 am

Anyone else been watching the new season of Rescue Me on FX?
This is the only hour long "drama" I currently watch.
Before this season I had always flipped by and watched a few minutes before changing it and it grew on me. First time I really took notice of it was the episode where Denis Leary's son dies in a hit and run. It was very well done and very very sad.
Sure, the show is totally over-sensationalized and chocked full of foul language, forced drama, and sex. The acting is good and somehow it just works for me.

Copeland1984

Rescue Me

Postby Copeland1984 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:54 am

Dennis Leary is either a comic genius, or he just doesn't give a shit. He says all the nasty, sarcastic, un-PC shit we wish we could say in public. He has a rant on smoking in his stand-up act that is just hilarious. And I'm a non-smoker. But I'd love to put him in a room for an hour with Ira Sharenow. Pay-per-view here we come.

Oh, back to the show. I've been watching this show faithfully since it started, and I love it. Mean spirited, gritty, funny, and sad all at the same time. It's not all happy endings and saved kittens- people actually die on this show.

I'm glad Leary's character stopped seeing dead people so much, though. That was getting a bit old. Now that it happens more rarely, when it does happen it hits a little harder.

I saw a preview of the show a few weeks ago that I'm still waiting to see in an episode. Basically they discover a 'wolf' or 'monster' in the fire house during the night, and they run around like idiots trying to see it/catch it/ scare it off. Kind of like The Three Stooges as firemen.

Copeland

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:59 am

Bill Hicks would not have looked good in a fireman's get-up, right?

I bet Chuck has an opinion on Mr. Leary.

Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rescue Me

Postby Wesmon » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:31 pm

Copeland1984 wrote:Dennis Leary is either a comic genius, or he just doesn't give a shit. He says all the nasty, sarcastic, un-PC shit we wish we could say in public. He has a rant on smoking in his stand-up act that is just hilarious. And I'm a non-smoker.

Check out Bill Hicks for the real thing. Leary is just a 10th rate plagiarist.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:59 am

I love the (crude) comedy thrown in. It's like one minute Tommy is in a hospital room with a guy who just lost both his legs in a collapsing building and next minute Franco is on a date with a girl and her slow belligerent brother. Oh my god I was laughin' my ass off at that whole scene. Was the infused comedic element present in seasons one and two? Or is this a new thing to draw in more viewers? Either way it works for me.
One other thing, did I miss somethin' or is Franco somehow now magically OK with Susan Surandons character looking after his daughter? If so, that is bullshit.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:16 pm

MadMind wrote:Was the infused comedic element present in seasons one and two? Or is this a new thing to draw in more viewers? Either way it works for me.

Nope that's always been there.

Did anyone see the "The Job" series? It's some of the same cast and crew excpet they're New York cops rather then firemen.

Copeland1984

Rescue Me

Postby Copeland1984 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm not sure about the whole missing kid thing with Franco. I do remember him saying something about her (his daughter) living a better life than he could ever provide, though. Hope they resolve that somehow.

As for his new lady, her brother is an evil genius, mentally handicapped or not. That evil grin he gave Franco at the end was priceless.
Copeland

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:06 pm

Learned wrote:I bet Chuck has an opinion on Mr. Leary.

Damn straight he does.

At least when I steal shit from Hicks I give him due attribution.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:31 pm

I'm taping the season finale tonight.
I didn't like how they dealt with Tommy's brothers death and the Chief's heart attack last two episodes. I mean if you're going to write in such big events as a death and a near death have the balls to back it up, don't trivialize it.
They saved such big events for like the last few minutes of an episode, and then they have an impromptu wedding directly following his brothers burial (at the graveyard)? Gimme' a break!
And what tha f**k? Did that jamaican chick run out on the chief without calling 911 after he told her to call 911? What a dumb bitch!

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:23 am

MadMind wrote:They saved such big events for like the last few minutes of an episode, and then they have an impromptu wedding directly following his brothers burial (at the graveyard)? Gimme' a break!

Very odd episode indeed. The first couple of minutes where they show each character getting the news of the brothers death was fantastic. The wedding? Bizarre.

I saw Tivo got the finale for me last night but I probably won't watch it 'til after the weekend.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue May 22, 2007 12:45 am

New season of Rescue Me premieres Wednesday, June 13th, 9pm!
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wesmon » Tue May 29, 2007 2:00 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
Learned wrote:I bet Chuck has an opinion on Mr. Leary.

Damn straight he does.

At least when I steal shit from Hicks I give him due attribution.

That's why I like Joe Rogan. Even though he isn't a funny comedian, he has dedicated himself to busting out comedians who steal their material from others. He has had many a rant about the scumbag Leary.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:59 pm

MadMind wrote:New season of Rescue Me premieres Wednesday, June 13th, 9pm!

REMINDER!

Fuck ER, House, Grey's Anatomy, 24, LOST, Heroes, and all those other bullshit hour-long TV dramas.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:28 am

:shock: Another character killed off at the end of last episode. Didn't see that one comin'!

On another note; Ever notice how all the women leads in that show (i.e. Janet, Sheila, Maggie) are crazy bitches?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:25 pm

I read this in past Sundays State Journal...
BTW - Compiled by Mike Jones

Actor rips Leary for 'Rescue Me' plotline

Denis Leary is feeling the heat from an actor whose character committed suicide on this week's "Rescue Me."

Jack Magee - who portrayed troubled Chief Jerry Reilly on FX's hit firefighter drama -- says he not only shouldn't have been killed off, but Leary, the show's star and executive producer, didn't have the guts to talk to him face-to-face about his exit.

"That would take a real man to do that. Denis Doesn't know how to do that," Magee said "His persona would make you think he's straight-up, he's honest and he's forthright. But I never got an indication of that. The truth is, if he knocked on my door right now, I'd be able to look him right in the eye. I don't know if he could do that...He's a bully...Bullies most of the time don't have the guts to do things themselves."

Leary declined to comment.

Return to “TV”