LOST

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Opinion on Lost?

This show is a sign that the TV show as an art form is not dead.
53%
This show sucked, and I think you're insane for liking it.
No votes
Just a good show.
10%
You only like this because you're insane. Get help.
No votes
Never seen it.
28%
It just sucks in a regular way.
10%

Total votes: 40

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

LOST

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:13 pm

Back on starting tonight. Didn't see a one of the first season, but I watched it on DVD, all back-to-back. Going to be hard to deal with commercials, but OMFG HOW DID I MISS THIS SHOW?

Oh yeah, probably because I pretty much only watch The Daily Show on a regular basis.

Anyway, I won't be missing this show this season. Loved every episode of the first season.

So Kate goes down the tube... ?

Surprised there's not a LOST fanclub watching it at some bar somewhere. Best drama TV show I've seen since.... well, ever. Watching it all unfold on DVD in like 20-odd 42minute episodes I was thinking how they really have the opportunity (censorship aside) to explore their ideas, themes, and characters a lot more than you can in a movie. Yes, better than a movie was my thoughts about half way through it.

When I got to the end I was like "SHIT!" This is too good to end now!!!

Seriously. Love this show.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:21 pm

I take it you didn't watch Lost: The Journey on the Soap Network, then?

I'm going to watch because I'm still wondering if the "others" are actually the descendants of shipwrecked pirates and slaves who have been surviving by stealing children and supplies from passing ships and the occasional castaway.

I can't help but wonder if they'll do the same as they did to the fans of Twin Peaks. Go into the thing with no story line, making it all up as they go along till it falls over from its own convoluted weight.

Oceanic Airlines!
Because Getting Halfway There is All the Fun!

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:47 pm

It started great, but I fear the same thing is going to happen with "Lost" that happened with "Alias" - an infinite loop of recycled plot points. Sloan is bad. Now he's good. Now he's bad. Now he's good. Now's he bad. Now he's dead. Now he's back from the dead as a born-again vampire fighting for justice, but next week he'll be bad again.

So I tried to give up Lost about 3/4 of the way through last season. But my SO kept watching it, and I'd be in the next room doing something else, hear some plot point, and end up watching the rest of that episode. (Sigh)

Yeah, I'll be tuning in tonight.

DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:04 pm

Tivo is set.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:17 pm

Good comments with the comparisons to Twin Peaks and Alias and how those shows deteriorated, although I will say I watched one of the first Alias episodes and it failed to grab me...

Anyway, I'm not going to rip on it for deteriorating like some other show did until it actually does start to suck. I guess I am hoping the writers have some idea of an overarching plotline, and individual character plots that they'll stick to rather than just drag it on season after season until no one is willing to watch anymore. That may be an unfounded hope for a TV drama, but I'm going to stick to it until I see some signs of decline. I have to say that the little histories of each character and the things that happen to them on the island have been impressive to me so far.

I did hear that the executive who green-lighted this project got fired. That sort of makes me think the network will crap on it and ruin the whole thing, but like I said I'll wait till it's actually dead before I bury it.

It's that feeling that there is a bigger story behind it that will slowly reveal itself and wind to a close (however satisfying in its conclusion) that is most impressive to me about the show overall I think. I guess it remains to be seen how much of an illusion that is, and how much of it is actually real.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:10 am

=======SPOILER ALERTS==========

I'd heard the first episode was going to reveal a lot. I guess in some ways it did, but in other ways, not at all.

The guy underground was odd, to say the least. It will be interesting to explain how that guy met Jack and is also on this island. Feels like a jumping the shark opportunity.

I missed that the woman Jack operated on turns out to be his wife.

Why did the hatch say "Quarantine" on the INSIDE and not on the outside?

The Walt thing doesn't interest me nearly as much. I think he's going to be the epicenter of things. Oh well. And it bugs me that plot points like Ethan just seem to vanish into thin air. What was that all about? You can't just introduce this crazy plot line, and not wrap it up without explaining SOMETHING about it. It's shit like that that will drive me away from the show.

Very watchable episode. Wonder if that 'puter has a cassette tape drive - probably too cutting edge by the looks of it.

Old School Johnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Old School Johnny » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:19 am

Billy Shears wrote:I can't help but wonder if they'll do the same as they did to the fans of Twin Peaks. Go into the thing with no story line, making it all up as they go along till it falls over from its own convoluted weight.

After last night's episode, I'm afraid your fears may be justified.

The whole mystery man-Bat Cave deal just felt a little too contrived to me. As tibor said, it was watchable, but, I dunno, already I sense the Big Story I always felt (hoped?) was at the show's core will just turn out to be a bunch of bait'n'switch gotcha! moments.

But it was only one episode. And I still plan on tuning in next week. So I guess I'll remain "lost" for a little while longer.

The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

LOST

Postby The Big Cheese » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:35 am

Did you like that opening scene last night? Lost has a very compelling way of storytelling, like an M. Night Shyamalan movie; each sequence is so absorbing that the plot can kind of lie ignored. Shyamalan used this cover to coil his plot like a snake and bite you at the end in the most amazing way. Lost, on the other hand, may just be covering its plot in absorbing scenes because at this point absorbing scenes is all they'll ever have. We'll see. But absorbing scenes on TV are like the croutons one of my childhood neighbors handed out on Halloween: delicious in their aberration.

There was a very good essay last year in The New Republic about Lost that said the show was great because the dangers that the castaways faced were mainly internal and human. They said that mentality was refreshing and opposed to shows and the mentality of the last few decades, which put the danger on THEM. Lost, TNR said, flirts with that, but then keeps returning to the struggles within the characters as the centerpiece of conflict. Maybe I'll try to find it again and post a link. What I wonder is, will that pattern hold this season?

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:07 am

I liked it. As other series have done, this one appears to have grabbed me well after its first season. I wish they'd done more with the people on the raft.

I liked the season premier of NCIS on Tuesday night better. But that one had David McCallum and a gothbabe technomage. No contest.

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:08 am

The thing that gives me hope that these people know what they're doing is that they snatched a good chunk of people from the old buffy/Angel writing staff, and those shows excelled at having an over-arching theme to a whole season. Additionally, Joss Whedon had the entire 7-season run of buffy generally mapped out, so he had an idea where everything was going to go. Granted, those shows weren't the Twin Peaks-type mystery that Lost is, but i'm hoping that his writers learned something about storytelling from him.

I'm not saying it WON'T all go to hell, but i'm optimistic.

Anyway, yeah, season premiere last night was excellent. I'm now stuck wondering if this new hatch dweller guy was responsible for both Jack's future wife AND Locke walking again. After all, he was "almost a doctor" once, right?

shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:58 am

I like Lost. I think it is more enjoyable if you don't actually expect answers. I think it is rather tired to have a big cliffhanger at the end of a show only to have it tidily resolved the next week. I kind of like it that nothing makes too much sense and that we aren't really getting any answers. I don't need answers, just entertainment. It's fun and attractive to watch in the moment, then I don't obsess about what will happen next week when an episode is over. It's also fun to watch from a detached viewpoint, and wonder idly how they will tie up the ends without really having an urgent need to know.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:15 am

Think of LOST as being a version of MYST and it all makes perfect sense. It's not a cliffhanger-resolution-cliffhanger schema, it's a slowly-unfolding-mystery schema.

This thing with the puzzle to blow the hatch and then you go to a new level--the underground bunker from last night's ep--...well, that was MYST all over.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:28 am

Last words to Jack in the stadium: "I'll see you in another life."

So far I like the lines hinting at the plane crash as a symbolic death for who they were. If they ever turn that literal, I'll have to say that would be a shark jumper right there.

As for Quarantine being written on the hatch, the fact that it was written on the inside was the first thing I noticed. Who built it was the first question that came to my mind. Then I wondered if Jack's friend there wrote it on there before he dismantled the ladder, or if it was always that way.

What was under that hatch was the only safe spot, till they blew the lid. Maybe the Danielle was right, and the Black Rock DID infect them somehow. That ship had to have something other than Dynamite and dead slaves on it. Treasure? Infected by greed and turned on each other?

So... we've got some Eurotrash scientists who were stranded there, a Cessna piled high with Heroin (don't do it Charlie), the pirates/whatever from the Black Rock, and now Jack's "brother". Busy island.

Oh, and don't forget Ethan, who is apparently one of "the others" that Danielle warned them about.

Flight 815, drug plane, Black Rock, Science expedition, Ethan/the others, and now Jack's "brother". Six different groups of people all crashed on the same island. Which has a power line running to it.

I gotta say I'm intrigued.

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:32 pm

Beer Moon wrote:As for Quarantine being written on the hatch, the fact that it was written on the inside was the first thing I noticed. Who built it was the first question that came to my mind. Then I wondered if Jack's friend there wrote it on there before he dismantled the ladder, or if it was always that way.

What was under that hatch was the only safe spot, till they blew the lid. Maybe the Danielle was right, and the Black Rock DID infect them somehow. That ship had to have something other than Dynamite and dead slaves on it. Treasure? Infected by greed and turned on each other?

So, the island is what's under quarrantine, not what's in the hatch? I like. That faintly crossed my mind while watching the ep last night, but i didn't put too much thought into it.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:59 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Think of LOST as being a version of MYST

That's like saying Herr Gropenfuhrer's latest shoot-em-up movie is like Quake. There are some superficial similarities, but the video game medium is vastly different than film/video.

The most obvious difference is that film/video is passive, while a game, video or otherwise, by definition is not. Someone deciding to play MYST has a say in what puzzles they tackle, what order they tackle them in, how they solve them, etc. Someone deciding to watch LOST has none of this. They simply swallow whatever is presented on screen, and if they tire of it, they shut it off. A linear, passive presentation is dissimilar from a nonlinear, interactive experience, even if you use the same TV to enjoy them both.

Return to “TV”