What's the worst class of advertisement on the tube today?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

What's the most offensive class of advertisement on the tube today?

Beer ads. If I want tits 'n' ass, I'll buy Penthouse, thank you.
2%
Feminine sprays and vaginal creams. If I want a graphic descriptions of cunts, I'll stick to Penthouse Forum, thank you.
6%
Those "ask your doctor" ambiguous pharmaceutical ads. What, are we all fucking retarded hypochondriacs?
55%
Fucking car ads. Quit plundering my music collection to sell your shitty SUVs!
34%
"As seen on tv" ads. Of course it's "as seen on tv," it's a tv ad! I wanna see that chef amputate his right arm and still slice that tomato paper-thin!
4%

Total votes: 53

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

What's the worst class of advertisement on the tube today?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:21 am

There are so many different cathode ray invasive species that it's hard to narrow them down. However, I'll stick to my core pet peeves.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:08 pm

Political ads. It doesn't matter if it is a candidate I'd actually vote for, I hate 'em. There is just no way you can talk about issues (or even a single issue) in 30 seconds.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:02 pm

The Hummer/H2 spot featuring the Who's "Happy Jack" is brilliant. Great story, great music and great product demonstration without ever showing the product!

The :60 second version is even better. Rarely does a TV commercial leave a smile on your face.

It took great creative and a brave client to get this baby approved and on the air!

crêpes suzettes
Forum Addict

Postby crêpes suzettes » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:13 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: Rarely does a TV commercial leave a smile on your face.

Yes, most commercials leave me indifferent (I think we're surrounded by so much advertising that we've learned to tune it all out), but one recently gave me a good laugh.

A female administrative assistant is showing the newly hired male suit and tie the computer terminal where shipping is done.

Man awkwardly says, "Umm, I don't do shipping."

Woman says, "Oh, don't worry, honey. With Federal Express, it's really easy."

Man says, "No, you don't understand. I have an MBA."

Woman mutters, "Oh, you have an MBA...", realizes the implication, then says, "In that case, let me show you how."

Adam Sinclair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Sinclair » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:02 am

Mute those Ads!
The most ridiculous ads are locally produced car dealership ads, like the Zimbrick ad. Imagine some "musician" actually wrote the lyrics!
"Zimbrick... Fish Hatchery Road!" (sing it with me) :o :oops:

AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:10 am

I thnk all the pharmaceutical ads are a scary statement about our society... there is a "war on drugs" in this country yet almost everyone is on drugs

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:12 pm

I get a kick out of that trippy Mr Duwaynes (hair salon on Sherman ave) ad. Annoying jingle, Mary there needs a little queer eye for the queer guy when it comes to picking out commercial music.

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:07 pm

Oh, the local jingles are the BEST! Sing them with me...

"Bartelt Asphalt Paving.... We've got it down!"

"You're right in the middle of it all... Here in Middleton!"

I was wondering where I could go to get a job writing stuff like that for a living.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

There's a special place in hell reserved for...

Postby Marvell » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:29 pm

The people who are making those ads supposed to improve 'investor confidence' in the stock market.

I saw one for Schwabb the other day, where the actress hired to act like an average person says something to the effect of "I don't want to make the same mistakes I made before."

Here's a big hint, you fucking idiot - don't invest in the stock market!

After WorldCom, Enron, Inclone, and the NYSE compensation scandal (to just mention the tips of the iceberg), anyone approaching the stock market with anything other than extreme suspicion/hostility deserves to have their ass handed to them on a plate. Not that this excuses Schwabb, NYSE, et al from the sickening hypocricy of these unctuous attempts to wheedle the feebleminded into again entrusting their life savings to that bunch of amoral greedheads.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:45 pm

Ever since I started staying home fulltime to take care of my son I've been watching TV regularly again and its pretty damn disgusting. I find myself talking back to the commercials, especially the ones that pray on people's vanity. The SUV ads bug me--hell, car ads are such crap now as they don't tell you a damn thing except that its soooo cooool to have one and you gotta get that DVD player in the back so your kids don't have to look out the window, though there isn't anything to see when you drive on the interstate, I guess.
Those teeth whitening ads....I've gotten through my whole life without doing that shit to my mouth and I've done just fine, thanks. I'm waiting for the mouth cancer stats to come out in 10 year about how a generation of folks fucked their gums....I can't imagine what kind of shit my son is going to want me to buy in a couple of years, seeing as TV is probably going to be a major factor in his life whether I like it or not....

alcobeat

Postby alcobeat » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:14 am

I'm an insomniac, so I often find myself in a weird advertising demographic. The three ads I see every night, without failure, are for Ambien, Life Alert, and Craftmatic Adjustable Beds.

The Ambien ad grates me 'cuz it really makes you feel bad for not being able to sleep. "Get back into the rhythm of life." It's like politely chiding you for going without sleeping pills.
Maybe if I take Ambien I'll need LifeAlert? I can get pretty loopy on sleepy pills.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:59 am

Insomniac here too. Why does Peoplestore only advertise at 4am??

The one I hate is that snotty young girl with the photo phone taking the picture of that dorky guy eating a sandwich at the counter of a greasy spoon. "Here's a picture of your new boyfriend, don't you like your new boyfriend?"

I don't know, maybe she should ask her doctor about it.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:29 am

Ned Flanders wrote:The Hummer/H2 spot featuring the Who's "Happy Jack" is brilliant. Great story, great music and great product demonstration without ever showing the product!

God DAMN do I despise that commercial!!!!! Simply because it is the single most over-aired spot in the history of broadcasting.

emmy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby emmy » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:19 am

droidsattack wrote:Oh, the local jingles are the BEST! Sing them with me...

"Bartelt Asphalt Paving.... We've got it down!"

"You're right in the middle of it all... Here in Middleton!"

I was wondering where I could go to get a job writing stuff like that for a living.

And how can we forget "George's Flowers! That can be arranged!" Have you noticed that ALL these local jingles sound alike, as does the announcer?? Is there only ONE ad agency in town?? Only ONE announcer? ONE group of jingle singers???

Return to “TV”